Creative server admin Q&A's

Cyotie911

Barlimore:

What is so special about the year 2010?

Cyotie:

Joining the navy and seeing your friends get shot is tough but you have to carry on with life remembering your friends in your hearts. Why did you join the navy?

What made you get your pet snakes and alligator and racoon (or whatever it is)?

Dumbo:

Get your name from an elephant?

buzzinbee:

Is it really worth having rails on C if we have the command to be sent to a random location and flying?

Guest Former Staff

Barlimore:

What is so special about the year 2010?

I don't wish to be specific but it involved major life events which worked out perfectly within that year.

buzzinbee:

Is it really worth having rails on C if we have the command to be sent to a random location and flying?

Rails, not only provide direct paths to locations, it makes the game more vanilla than just teleporting about the place, it can connect large cities to each other and it is an enjoyable ride.

If you could change 1 thing about creative what would it be?

There's quite a few things I'd to see changed, but I'll start with this: the general attitude people have towards it. C is treated like a daycare center, where the average player is less than 12 years of age, and everything is made out of diamond and gold blocks. We have plenty of highly skilled players on C that flourish under the unlimited play style that is creative, unfortunately, we are the minority. And that usually leads to working alone, which leads, to running out of time, which leads to a depressingly large number of unfinished builds. It's a bit sad to see so many builds that show promise, only to be abandoned.

I suppose I cheated your question, but I do feel that a lot of C's problems stem from the way the server is treated.

What are you most looking forward to for creative revision 25?

I'm looking forward to just about anything at this point, but I fear I may be in over my head with things to do, not to say I might not have the free time to do so, but I may tire myself out again.

Ideally, I would like to get the CTA up and running just enough for me to shy away from it and begin the prep work for a certain type of build I have yet to be present for, but I would like to speak with certain, more experienced players, for a few pointers and tips. Depending on how that goes, more news to follow soon.

• Upvote 1

What a lot of people will be doing at the start of rev 25 I think is that a lot of P players will be building and making designs for their towns next P rev.

But I will probably be staying longer than them creating my own shit and trying to improve my building skills and chatting with whoever is on the server.

Buzzinbee:

Can I do pink wool rail next rev if you show me a bit of the winning rail design as I won't have a clue wtf it'll be. I know how to get the CTA logo also.

Well guess I'll be honest. Having been in the Navy and having been on a drug combat surface vessel boarding team. I have seen my friends shot and killed and have shot drug runners. That's pretty much going to be the worst thing I have seen.

Fuck, dude.

• Upvote 1

Barlimore:

What are you currently working to achieve/repair in the servers currently?

Have you got any large projects in mind?

What do you see on the horizon of your time as a Head Admin?

How do you feel you've undertaken the position of Head Admin so far?

AMA.

Buzzinbee:

Can I do pink wool rail next rev if you show me a bit of the winning rail design as I won't have a clue wtf it'll be. I know how to get the CTA logo also.

I don't think there is going to be a pink wool rail next revision sorry teddy, but you are welcome to help with the other lines.

• Upvote 1

I'll help with red then.

Buzzinbee:

R u in charge of CTA now that epsy is gone?

When did you join the CTA?

What was the most popular C rev u can remember?

I am one of the heads of CTA yes.

I can't actually remember, it could have been rev 13, but then again it could have been rev 15.

Rev 15.

Guest Former Staff

Thanks for these questions EeHee!

What are you currently working to achieve/repair in the servers currently?

Currently I am updating the staff activity document for a recent and more accurate list so that I can easily identify who on the list doesn't seem to be around. From here I can move forward and attempt to contact them. The aim of this is to make sure the nerd.nu/staff page on the active moderators in particular is more up-to-date.

Have you got any large projects in mind?

Upon Creative I'm looking forward to building a very compact city for the reset. With P I do not have any solid plans as of yet. Currently on S I am enjoying the creation of a pier at the site of my 'unofficial' clan, looking forward to adding some buildings to the pier soon.

What do you see on the horizon of your time as a Head Admin?

I don't mean to sound like I am belittling your question but I have no idea. For me it has been roughly two years since I joined our community, I'm genuinely looking forward to the next year on that stepping stone. Sure there will be times that will test my patience and others my available time but it's going to be fun and worthwhile so that's my focus for the horizon.

How do you feel you've undertaken the position of Head Admin so far?

That's a tough question as I imagine no-one will share the same opinion as me. I'd like to think that while addressing personal conflicts, I've come across to people as patient and understanding because for all the concerns people have had, everyone has been polite which garners my respect even more. I still think it is early days for me, some were kind enough to impart advice on this role which I keep in mind. I'm trying to keep a healthy balance between dedicating too much time away from activities outside the servers and not enough on them. Overall if I were to be objective of myself I would say that unless someone had a direct interaction with me, they may not know my actions so from this assessment of myself I'm mindful of approaching ideas, concerns and events transparently so people who may not have or need that direct interaction with me can still be involved in changes or discussions.

Barlimore:

AMA.

Recently you made a very personal post on the subreddit and it's great to hear that being here helped you through that period. Understandably if people are in a difficult situation they can receive professional help however in relation to our community, is there anything you could recommend that people do to feel better?

Recently you made a very personal post on the subreddit and it's great to hear that being here helped you through that period. Understandably if people are in a difficult situation they can receive professional help however in relation to our community, is there anything you could recommend that people do to feel better?

To be honest, I wouldn't relay the usual comments. "See a psychologist, get help for your troubles." I've heard that many times. Psychologists, in my opinion, are strangers to talk to, so that you aren't conveying your stress onto someone you know - someone you have ties to. Psychologists are useful, as they have no ties to/with you, so you can relay all your troubles to them without fear of losing something/someone. Sometimes, letting it out isn't what's needed. It's usually solace that one needs to find, or peace. Happiness.

I'd just recommend to those younger than 20 to just keep marriage-related relationships (ie: girlfriends) out of their lives. That form of love is useless and damaging at young ages. It's rare for one to marry and die with a girl/boy they find in highschool. Love comes naturally around 20.

I've realized that I have complete will over what I am.

When I was 8 years old, I wished for strength to deal with my troubles at school. My wish was granted.

When I was 14, I wished for wisdom. Some shocking events happened that year, forcing me to realize the values of life, and the reason why some men find happiness in simple things.

Last year I wished for happiness. And alas, nerd.nu was found.

I don't believe that supernatural/religious forces granted these wishes, it was me. I concentrated on each of these as a goal.

I'd mainly state that humans have complete power over themselves, not their surroundings. I know that's been said hundreds of times through the courses of history, but it's as true as philosophy gets.

Hope that was a good reply. :D

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 1

Moving on!

For All You Guys

1. We rarely see some of you on the servers anymore, and it's mainly due to the responsibilities of being Admins as well as personal reasons, I presume. What can we do as a community to give admins more time to actually play and enjoy the servers?

Well, I've been dealing with some personal issues as of late, so that explains my absence.  However, I can't speak for the rest of the admins but I actually enjoy helping people around the server and maintaining order / stopping griefing, as much as building.  I still do play, What some people don't realize is that a lot of staff members have alternate accounts that we use to play with.  This gives us the opportunity to play without having to feel guilty about ignoring the people that normally private message with requests for water or griefing or other things.

2. Biggest accomplishment in life?

I am 33 years old and I'm retired...  Rather than write a book here, if your interested in hearing more, message me.

3. Aspirations? Dream job? Career goals?

See question #3 :P

4. Where did you get your usernames?

I have had the nickname cyotie (pronounced coyote) since I was a kid.  In '98 I went out shortly after moving to San Diego and got shitfaced and met some new friends.  I had a chick ask me for my number and when I wrote down my name I misspelled my nickname Cyotie and it stuck.

5. The nerd community appears to expanding little by little, what are your opinions on this?

Players come and go.  I've been around since February of 2011 and I've seen things change over time.  The community has changed and developments in the game have changed.  With the introduction of minecraft on Xbox and with the addition of flying the entire outlook of the game changed.  With our goal of keeping the game as vanilla as possible it brings advantages and disadvantages to the community.  What it does bring is stability.  Our community is the longest running and probably one of the most stable and regulated communities out there.  I have tried playing on other servers but the lack of professionalism and the inappropriate things that occurred on a public server never made me want to continue playing there like playing here.

6. What made you want to stay at nerd?

See question 5

7. Ask me anything.

What about this community do you like and dislike?

For Barlimore:

1. NOOOOO DON'T LEAVE US! Nah, becoming Head Admin is fantastic, we know the community will benefit greatly from your efforts. Anything big you have planned for the servers?

2. How long have you used ":-)"?

For buzzinbee:

1. So, now that the Era of Fire and Suffering is underway, how do you feel you will adapt to the position? Are you excited about what is to come?

2. CTA, those of us involved who aren't mods feel a bit out of the loop and would appreciate a few bits and details in order to prepare, that way we can get started the minute the new rev comes about.

For Cyotie:

1. As someone who is looking into joining the Navy quite soon, are there any pointers you can give me?

As for this question.  Message me here on the forums if you are serious and I'll give you quite a few pointers, but there are going to be things that I'm going to need to ask first.

2. You banned me in rev 16 for pimping out a zombie statue that was griffed, WTH?

Modification of another players build is a form of griefing and subsequently you were banned because of it.  :P

For Dumbo:

1. Where'd you go? (You don't have to answer)

2. Your builds appear to have a bit of architectural merit, does that stem from a personal interest?

• 4 weeks later...

Cyotie, can we make a few hallowe'en movies on the servers at a particular destination on C for youtube?

I dont see why not. Ill touch base with the other server admins about it but as long as you keep the content professional (I.e. no cussing or anything else that would project a bad image.) I dont know why it wouldn't be okay.

• 4 months later...

So erm. 

Let's bring this back up eh? For all of you:
Do you like Comic Sans?

What's your thoughts on whipped cream?
Do you prefer Italian water or German water?

Do you reddit?

Have you ever bought a printer for $399.99?

Are you any good at PvP? 

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

LetsB - bananas or pickles?

marting - Do you have anything big planned for the next creative rev? do you have a general build project planned for next revision?

Dumbo - Do you feel there are any problems with creative that the general playerbase could help with? like getting together and making more community based projects like cities or things like a clan base or a castle?

LetsB - bananas or pickles?

marting - Do you have anything big planned for the next creative rev? do you have a general build project planned for next revision?

Dumbo - Do you feel there are any problems with creative that the general playerbase could help with? like getting together and making more community based projects like cities or things like a clan base or a castle?

Bananas all the way.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...