Hi everyone.

I'm going to get to the point fast. The survival server deserves another shot.

Survival was taken down just under 5 years ago due to the low activity levels. Since then we have had many discussions about bringing it back, however, it is important to understand that since the server was taken down, the entire gameplay mechanics for PvP has changed. In fact huge aspects of the game have been altered. You now have elytra, multiple villager trades, shields, tridents, crossbows, and new Redstone. The way we play the game is different. It is too far changed to reasonably say it just won't work.

The other potential solution we have often suggested was to create larger PvP regions in PvE, or to use creative for its PvP regions. This is why that won't work. Survival isn't just about player vs player, it is about survival. About trying to create your base in a manner that makes it highly defensive against attacks. Trying to build or travel around the map safely to avoid a fight. It is very much a high risk high gain server and that's what is great about it. That core element of the game wouldn't exist unless the entire server was in PvP mode.

We have been seeing new players joining quite frequently, especially since the emergence of the video on youtube by TheMisterEpic. When new players join, we want to be able to provide them with all the main aspects of Minecraft, creative mode, the cooperative PvE mode, and we also want to provide them with the ability to have a hostile game mode like survival where they can still enjoy building without the risk of their base being griefed like in chaos, but still maintain the threat of attack from other players. Or to go hunting on the server with the thought that they can become the best PvPer on there.

The way you moderate survival isn't too much more difficult than the way you moderate PvE, the only things you have to look out for are different types of mods such as aimbot. So training staff up for it would also not really be a problem. This is a topic many people feel very strongly about. We have the financial capability to try it out. If you are not trying these sorts of things you are not improving.

• Like 3

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

I'm like 99% sure the survival server wasn't shut down because of minecraft mechanics

also X exists?

1 minute ago, Rokku117 said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

I'm like 99% sure the survival server wasn't shut down because of minecraft mechanics

also X exists?

The first line of the wiki page states "Survival was a PvP-enabled server on nerd.nu. It was taken offline in September 2015 due to lack of popularity. A replacement for it may come out some time after the 1.9 update."

As for the existence of x.nerd.nu, yes it does exist, however, it is a different game style. There are no protections and the only rules are based around chat and using a hacked client. What people have been interested in is a dedicated survival server with protections.

34 minutes ago, SkrapssparkS said:

The first line of the wiki page states "Survival was a PvP-enabled server on nerd.nu. It was taken offline in September 2015 due to lack of popularity.

We all know that's not the reason why it was shut down. Lack of popularity was a symptom, not the cause.

The only way a viable PVP server could be a thing is if the admin team tightened their stance on harassment and permanent bans. The toxic community that type of server breeds will just thrive in the current environment of 3000 chances.

3 minutes ago, twilexis said:

We all know that's not the reason why it was shut down. Lack of popularity was a symptom, not the cause.

The only way a viable PVP server could be a thing is if the admin team tightened their stance on harassment and permanent bans. The toxic community that type of server breeds will just thrive in the current environment of 3000 chances.

What aspect encouraged harassment? If it was the killing and taking other players stuff then why do we have chaos? Harassment on the server should always be dealt with properly, there's no reason it should be allowed to slide on any server a survival server included. The game has changed drastically since survival was taken down, there is no way to accurately say it wouldn't work without trying it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I miss survival.

But it does take moderation time, and tech time, and infrastructure to setup. 3 things that no one has been willing to pour in as it previously didn't bring about a flourishing server. Look at how much time c45y put into the PvP server that happened after S closed, and it was never as big as S was even 1 rev before its end.

I have a suggestion.

What would you think if there was a multiverse world on P that had PvP enabled? And to clarify, I don't mean a walled area that people can go into and out of and go farm their stuff in P and fight in S. I mean a world with separate inventory but on the same server. It would take less resources and then modreqs and chat would be collected, meaning mods playing on P would see the modreqs coming from the S side, and the chats, and could communicate with both. The worlds don't need to be similar, the S side could have any map size, they could reset at different times, and could change separately as needed.

Would that be something that the people who ask for S back be interested in? And if not, why not? What does that not offer?

Edited by zburdsal
pour and poor are different words
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, zburdsal said:

What would you think if there was a multiverse world on P that had PvP enabled? And to clarify, I don't mean a walled area that people can go into and out of and go farm their stuff in P and fight in S. I mean a world with separate inventory but on the same server. It would take less resources and then modreqs and chat would be collected, meaning mods playing on P would see the modreqs coming from the S side, and the chats, and could communicate with both. The worlds don't need to be similar, the S side could have any map size, they could reset at different times, and could change separately as needed.

Would that be something that the people who ask for S back be interested in? And if not, why not? What does that not offer?

I think it is an interesting idea. My concern would be that we would still be creating an entire other server. It wouldn't have a domain name like s.nerd.nu so it could potentially be confusing for people, especially if they join PvE to find that there is a section that's not PvE and is moderated differently, this could take away from PvE and that's not my aim. Wouldn't it be easier to try to get a cross server modeq system if that's the main concern?

My plan isn't to bring back a survival server instantly, it would require a lot of planning and time. We'd have to set up the spawn, create the world and re-load some of the old plugins we have used, as well as look at potential new rule updates.

c45y's server initially provided positive feedback, it did lose player, but again, that was 4 years ago and Minecraft has developed vastly since then. Many players were very happy with the return of the server as it was their core connection with nerd.nu. I think if it were to come back it would have to be done right. It would have to be its own server and it would have to be thought out extensively before launch. If this fails, at least we have tried, and we have shown that player base that we are thinking about what they value on these servers.

• Like 2

That sounds like it would take a far more substantial amount of tech work than is currently available. That alone would be enough to make it non-viable, truthfully.

Something that would require setting up a full additional server, full admins, techs for weeks, new and updated plugins, testing and more, as well as the suggested cross-server chat which has already been in the works for years, before I was even a moderator, sounds unreasonable for a server which had for the last year+ of its life very little play time.

As a reminder of the last revision of S, here's the carto: http://redditpublic.com/carto/survival/s27/carto/#/-77/64/87/-3/0/0

And here's a video of an arena in the 2nd to last rev of S, showing all of 11 people showing up including 4 admins at the time: 

I'm posting these to show that maybe we want to grow that player base back before devoting so much effort to it, rather than the other way around. Yes, minecraft has changed a lot since then but how about we setup an easy to make PvP world, something which could literally be set-up tonight if we had everyone working on it, and let it grow back to a full server if the player numbers are there?

We have 24 moderators, finding a couple admins shouldn't be too tricky. You can find most of the plugins online at least ones that can keep us going. Testing of the plugins once they are added really shouldn't take too long at all. I believe the tech that was working on that plugin for the cross server was Ladycailin wasn't it? Which would explain why it's been a long time. In terms of the player base being low I have already addressed that, the game has changed dramatically, we can't accurately say we wouldn't have many players because we didn't before.

In terms of setting up a basic server that's not really got much devotion, it's not productive to set yourself up for disaster, the server wouldn't be any good so nobody would want to come and play on it and it would provide a reason to not attempt a real shot at the server for many more years. 

• Like 2