Upvote/Downvote discussion

coolgamerovr90

It seems like people weren't quite ready to have the upvote/downvote buttons added back in, I just tried downvoting a post and just remembered that it is permanent and can't be reversed, which shocked me. Some people have wanted only one arrow, I am not quite sure how that would work out, but it seems like a idea some people considered, also Some people suggested make it more of a Reddit style system, changing reputation to karma and snoo like arrows, due to the amount of downvotes on jcll's post, I thought I would just create this so people can still talk about it

The current upvote/downvote system

KZ2s8Ke.png

Edited by coolgamerovr90
  • Upvote 1

I think it would be nice if we could reverse any +/- rep given, but I still don't mind the system as it is. They're still "meaningless internet points", but at least this way it makes people think about what they're doing before the just mindlessly click the button. Plus, people can see who is downvoting them, and I find the lack of anonymous post brigading a refreshing change of pace.

• Upvote 2

The poll is 25-26. It may well have gone on for long enough, but Jcll says "looks like the poll is in favor of turning it back on".

Now I know that we can see who's voted on a comment, I vastly prefer this to Reddit's system. Can we make it more obvious that clicking on the number gives more information, like your screenshot?

• Upvote 1

Ok after playing around with a trial board... The current rep system that is there I cannot find a way to modify. However, It would not be that hard to make a complete new reputation mod and just include it in the css for the posts where the current one sits. I actually found a reputation mod but it is 4 years old.

With that said, IP Board does have the option to remove downvotes. That will not solve our problem though, you could still accidentally upvote someone. There is also a Like system that is very similar to the facebook thing. You can like someones post and if you change your mind you can unlike it.

Edited by Weazol
  • Upvote 2

Could you elaborate why?

Yes, people seem to be worried about downvotes and karma issues. The "Like" button would allow someone just to show whether they like it or not. The post can always be reported if there is a problem

He locked the thread when he posted, was the poll locked at the same time?

Yes

Edited by coolgamerovr90
  • Upvote 2

Well imho we dont need the up and downvotesystem.

Imo its intended use is for forums that got a marketplace, so if someone offers good deals and sticks to his word he will of course get good reputation, if someone is a dealbreaker or a scammer of course he gets negative reputation.

The problem in our forum can be explained with this simple sentence.

I HATE THAT GUY LETS DOWNVOTE HIM !!!!111111oneoneeleven.

Wich is one reason why i dont like that system.

Another reason: I know such systems from other forums and in those forums you can only hand out Reputation based on your reputation, also you need do give a reason why you are repping someone. If that reason ist stupid the mods will just delete the given rep and deduct it from your own.

This helps alot to keep such downvotegangs in their place, because someday they simply cant up or down rep anymore.

I guess we need that here too

• Upvote 1

Well imho we dont need the up and downvotesystem.

Imo its intended use is for forums that got a marketplace, so if someone offers good deals and sticks to his word he will of course get good reputation, if someone is a dealbreaker or a scammer of course he gets negative reputation.

The problem in our forum can be explained with this simple sentence.

I HATE THAT GUY LETS DOWNVOTE HIM !!!!111111oneoneeleven.

Wich is one reason why i dont like that system.

Another reason: I know such systems from other forums and in those forums you can only hand out Reputation based on your reputation, also you need do give a reason why you are repping someone. If that reason ist stupid the mods will just delete the given rep and deduct it from your own.

This helps alot to keep such downvotegangs in their place, because someday they simply cant up or down rep anymore.

I guess we need that here too

The poll was already closed and the upvote downvote system was turned back on. This thread is not to discuss why we need or dont need one, it is about getting the ability to take back ones vote