azumarill [cheezychicken]

Azumarill

previously:

I didn't have to tell cujo what was going on when she asked me what was up with the spawn chest full of old event tokens that Shanty reported. I also didn't have to tell her about the re-entry under the barrier block gap(though that's not particularly an issue). Viewing this as "you got caught and immediately confessed to your crimes" is not giving me enough credit - I could have just not said anything. But I told multiple people from the server. I left multiple signatures in that other world - check northwest and southeast 10000,10000(and that sign in the labyrinth - did you figure out that the southeast corner wasn't protected?). I got two separate moderators to extract me when I got stuck in places, out in that other world. I put the old event tokens in the public chest in spawn.

You're right that I could have gone directly to staff and explained the issues, but consider: when I was given the feedback of "the chair on top of the head shop was disabled", which is to say far before cujo went "ahhh dammit, we fixed that but I guess you got through before we found the issue" and I simply clicked on it again and discovered I could no longer sit there, my conclusion was that my actions had directly led to that happening.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm arguing I did nothing wrong, or that I couldn't have done better.

I do think the idea of a reward for finding missteps in event/spawn setups will do a lot in this context.

There have been many, many such issues in past revisions that, you're absolutely right, I should have been more vocal in reporting. I've been finding critical issues with staff setups regularly since revision 7. It goes as far back as learning how to break into the famous "5K" event multiple times from multiple areas. Here is me in an event area in that 2012 revision's spawn before it was announced, but after the initial time I got there, which was when it was an empty, unbuilt room.

image.png.84ed23bbe90c868efa30175011f809c3.png

This history of exploration -- of measuring my abilities, if you will --  includes things like retrieving items from Summer 2018 fundraiser's wild west challenge areas that weren't supposed to get back out into the global region with the player. It includes understanding plugins well enough to design events for players around them and ask for the right region flags to be set to prevent cheating, such as in multiple parkour/puzzle areas tompreuss and I have put up in the past.

And there was the memorable time when I got out into the void in the September 2019 fundraiser and flew tens of thousands of blocks to the spawn point of the world. 

image.thumb.png.1291d810f70a6809a2fcceef14ec862a.png

I've been on this server for longer than 95% of the playerbase. I've seen like a dozen administrative teams come and go, I've seen plugins come into existence to stop things from being possible, and y'all have been historically, universally worse than I am at catching improperly set up regions and plugins. But that could be a resource for you! I've been called magnetically attracted to bugs by a former player - finding this stuff is so, so easy for me! I've submitted a ton of issues to mod developers, I've even submitted issues with code here - someone may remember me pressing a certain flaw with safebuckets and restarts and adjacent redstone updates causing water to flow. I can point out a few issues in current server-custom event setups, if they still exist, if we can get in touch with each other and do it in person.

Lastly, when I was initially writing this post in the second week of August, an idea I had was to skim modreqs, suggestions, and conversations with staff as a form of... I don't think "character witness" is quite right here, but I hope that gets at what I was aiming for. Background check? Anyway, in the following links is as far as I got with those before I lost momentum. I stand by the sentiment, still, but I don't have the spoons to start back up on working on it. That, and modern suggestion box response posts just didn't seem to exist in the first place, which I remember prompting cujo to tell me that all of current staff is "bad at paperwork".

https://pastebin.com/2Xjnprhc

https://pastebin.com/ZxkD0w8h

https://pastebin.com/CPZqGTDP

Edited by Azumarill
meme

I hope you can understand that, being one of the most active players every revision for years, I've come to love and cherish my time here for multiple reasons. I don't get any other places in my daily life that give me the kind of experiences that I have in this community - including but not limited to avenues for extreme amounts of cooperation, sharing, validation. and creation. I've put almost a quarter of my life into this community, and one of my biggest regrets now is that I did not share current staff's idea of how big a deal this behavior was.

Hi, sorry for the delay.

As you seem to understand why we felt that your actions were unacceptable and that next time you find a big or glitch you should report it rather than taking advantage, you are unbanned.

I do hope that you now use your "abilities", as you put them, to good use. I know that there's a lot of bugs that the admins miss, and we do appreciate people notifying us of them.