What's with doing AMAs on this forum?

forty_two

Topic says it all really. If we're going to do AMAs why not do them on the subreddit (i.e. in the format and website that encouraged the concept in the first place)?

I don't think that doing them on here has raised the quality of such discussion, looking at the current AMAs they're still primarily the silly questions that always pop up, just that now I have to scroll past everything to read answers to the sensible questions. Also, the Unce AMA is more suitable for circlejerk than anywhere else. Discuss.

• Upvote 4

Guest Former Staff

Personally, I agree that AMA's work best on Reddit. However I really don't mind seeing them on the forums too.

We have total control over these forums (but wouldn't have such control on Reddit), and it is much more difficult if not impossible to make troll accounts/anonymous accounts here and downvote to oblivion or make trollish posts/ask trollish questions. Sure, the questions are silly, but if that's what legitimate players want to ask their Head Admin, then that is what legitimate players want to ask their Head Admin. At least I know they're legitimate players. Or at least serious enough to bother to make an account that links an email to it and be held accountable for it (no anonymous accounts).

Yes, it *could* be done on a subreddit or the subreddit, and I get that we are (and I want to continue to be) the Reddit MC servers, but I saw my AMA post as a way to put the new forums through its paces and see what it's capable of. I apologize if this has begun a trend, but there it is. I agree to some extent that the subreddit would be better for such a post, as it would better keep my responses under/near the questions. But scrolling through to find my answers, which always quote the questions, is pretty straight forward.

• Upvote 4

My biggest concern was seeing it in Server Discussion. I'd be perfectly fine if the AMA's were done in Off Topic, and I get the reasoning for the first AMA being done in that section to kick it off, but further AMA's are hardly discussion worthy, and as forty_two said are far too prone to circlejerk.

• Upvote 1

I think it is a fine introduction to the forum. We are just launching these and trying to get our users to make accounts here and participate. I see no problems. 

Also I for one think AMAs on reddit are a mess to read, just like everything else. I welcome inline discussion!

• Upvote 3

My biggest concern was seeing it in Server Discussion. I'd be perfectly fine if the AMA's were done in Off Topic, and I get the reasoning for the first AMA being done in that section to kick it off, but further AMA's are hardly discussion worthy, and as forty_two said are far too prone to circlejerk.

I agree that maybe they would be better off in off-topic. I had intended my AMA to be about the server - ask me anything about policy and the like - but the players have asked me more personal (and even silly) questions. Some of them are server-relevant, but most of them aren't. But I can't tell people not to ask certain questions when I meant it to be an as-open-as-possible AMA :3