Mining diamond below lava with optifine

uni0

I believe the point they are trying to make is, being able to see the diamonds on the bottom without entering the lava.  There for knowing where they need to clear lava in order to get the diamonds.

Just to clarify, optifine will let you see clearly under lava but you have to enter the lava lake, otherwise there won't be any visibility.

Just to clarify, optifine will let you see clearly under lava but you have to enter the lava lake, otherwise there won't be any visibility.

my bad, I, being an old school player, was thinking of another mod that has a similar feature but yiu dint hsve to enter the lava.

Honestly you can do this without optifine. Before I used it, I would take a Fire Resistance potion and go diving through the lava for a while. You are very short sighted while you are doing it, but eventually you can find them.

Now granted, I can see how this could be seen as xraying using optifine, as the short sightedness wouldn't be there, but how would you tell the difference?

I think out of all the comments in this thread, this one is probably the most important counterpoint to outright banning the method. My suggestion would be that we move to, as moderators, not be dismissive of mining in lava as simply a feature of Optifine and therefore 'alright to do', as I think a fair amount of us currently do. So we might not be able to determine lava-surrounded diamond edits as sure-fire evidence of xraying, but we can consider the potential that their method of finding said diamond involved using this feature of Optifine - ultimately assessing it as 'suspicious' but not definite proof. I feel like this, along with emphasising that this method is not considered legitimate means of finding diamonds, is probably the most appropriate solution to this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

OptiFine 1.5.2_HD_D5 (updated Fog:OFF not to affect lava, water and blindness fog, updated Clear Water to save block light values, compatible with Forge #738)

Tested this on creative seems to have solved this "Issue"

• 1 month later...

From a vanilla4life noob, I consider this pretty surprising.  I have used Optifine before but it ate my FPS' but I would appreciate a response to this also.  I believe I have heard of mods that disable certain features of optifine by adding extra texture layers and such, but yeah this definitely seems to be an advantage over nubs like myself. 

If there is mods to disable the things then that would be handy.

This is where it can get tricky. You can place a block of ice in lava and see directly through the lava until the glass melts. You can also take a fire resistance potion and swim in Lava. Both of these are perfectly acceptable ways of finding diamond in lava but can also look like xraying by the mods. How do you go about using those two ways without being accused of xraying?

Who brings glass with them when mining? Unless they know the way of course.

OptiFine 1.5.2_HD_D5 (updated Fog:OFF not to affect lava, water and blindness fog, updated Clear Water to save block light values, compatible with Forge #738)

Tested this on creative seems to have solved this "Issue"

Sadly, This feature is no longer available in OptiFine, I tried everything in my power I can do to get it back into my client, but failed. This shouldn't be a problem anymore as that functionality has been removed from the mod

Just in case anyone is wondering why I am replying to such an old post, I saw it linked in the main bulletin post with all the survival related topics that Tharine just posted recently

Edited by coolgamerovr90

I'm using optifine since the 1.6.2 switch, and I can't see through lava or water unless i'm in the water... and I don't make it a habit to swim in lava, so...

You could only see through lava when you were under it while swimming, I have to use fire pots but didn't mind it as long as I could see right through it legitly, and 3/4ths of the time I did indeed find diamonds, now I can't get it to enable or force enable it anymore since that OptiFine update back in 1.5.2