[PMC] For the P admins: fallout from the upgrade to 1.6.2

totemo

I'm discussing this in MCP for now due to the sensitive nature of the Zombie AI bug and its potential to be used to induce crippling lag.

Here's what has changed and will change technically over the next day or two on PvE:

• With 40+ players we experienced a very low tick rate - around 3.5. Other data points: 20 players - 10 tps, 11 players - 13 tps, 8 players - 15 tps.
  • I've experimentally modified MobLimiter to enforce the configured per-chunk, per-mob-type caps when the specific listed mob types spawn.
    • It's currently configured with a cap of 0 Zombies per chunk when spawned naturally because of the path finding AI bug (https://mojang.atlassian.net/browse/MC-17630). Reading that bug again, it occurs to me that since it mainly concerns path finding when the player is unreachable, perhaps mob-spawner zombies should be disabled too. The change I've made (not yet checked into GitHub) has the option to enforce the same cap for mob spawner zombies too, but I have not enabled it yet.
    • I've set a cap on squids of 1 per chunk, enforced when spawning, simply because I can and I don't think anyone will even miss them. They tend to be over-represented.
    • I'm tempted to add a cap of 1 PigZombie per chunk, enforced when spawning. What do you think?
  • LadyCailin fixed a bug in CommandHelper to do with getting entities within a certain radius, and consequently my /count-entities command is now working properly. You can use it to get a better handle on the number of each type of mob.
  • A player lost his horse when pushing it through the portal at spawn. I tested an untamed horse in the same manner and it too disappeared. I intend to write an admin command in CH: /find-pets [ []] to list the coordinates of mobs of specified types (comma-separated list) with optional owner and name tag so we can substantiate similar claims more easily in the future. It's a server glitch, but I would be inclined to refund this one anyway and warn people in future that horses and portals don't mix. What do you think? Note that as currently conceived, that command could also be used to locate hostile mobs and mobs without an owner.
  • I don't think we've adequately communicated the temporary nature of /unlock-horse. People have used it for horse sales. I intend to add a /give-pet command tomorrow to fix that. In the meantime, I've changed one of the alerts to underscore the temporary nature of /unlock-horse.
  • And finally, in the background I'll investigate the viability of switching P over to Spigot and see what configuration options that would give us for dealing with lag. Looks promising. I want to experiment on my test server first before switching P over though.
  • Upvote 1

Wellspring will miss them, home of squids (a bit more per chunck may be better maybe?)

We'll see how the experiment goes during peak times.  If capping them when spawning doesn't help much, I'll remove Squid from that section of the configuration.  I'm hoping that Spigot will help a lot.

• I've experimentally modified MobLimiter to enforce the configured per-chunk, per-mob-type caps when the specific listed mob types spawn.
  • It's currently configured with a cap of 0 Zombies per chunk when spawned naturally because of the path finding AI bug (https://mojang.atlassian.net/browse/MC-17630). Reading that bug again, it occurs to me that since it mainly concerns path finding when the player is unreachable, perhaps mob-spawner zombies should be disabled too. The change I've made (not yet checked into GitHub) has the option to enforce the same cap for mob spawner zombies too, but I have not enabled it yet.
  • I've set a cap on squids of 1 per chunk, enforced when spawning, simply because I can and I don't think anyone will even miss them. They tend to be over-represented.
  • I'm tempted to add a cap of 1 PigZombie per chunk, enforced when spawning. What do you think?
This all sounds fine for now.

• LadyCailin fixed a bug in CommandHelper to do with getting entities within a certain radius, and consequently my /count-entities command is now working properly. You can use it to get a better handle on the number of each type of mob.
Good, thanks.

• A player lost his horse when pushing it through the portal at spawn. I tested an untamed horse in the same manner and it too disappeared. I intend to write an admin command in CH: /find-pets [ []] to list the coordinates of mobs of specified types (comma-separated list) with optional owner and name tag so we can substantiate similar claims more easily in the future. It's a server glitch, but I would be inclined to refund this one anyway and warn people in future that horses and portals don't mix. What do you think? Note that as currently conceived, that command could also be used to locate hostile mobs and mobs without an owner.
That sounds very useful, yes

• I don't think we've adequately communicated the temporary nature of /unlock-horse. People have used it for horse sales. I intend to add a /give-pet command tomorrow to fix that. In the meantime, I've changed one of the alerts to underscore the temporary nature of /unlock-horse.
When directly asked I informed people that we were currently exploring the ability to give ownership of a horse to another player and were optimistic about being able to do it soon. /give-pet sounds excellent.

• And finally, in the background I'll investigate the viability of switching P over to Spigot and see what configuration options that would give us for dealing with lag. Looks promising. I want to experiment on my test server first before switching P over though.

Amaranthus mentioned something about getting different types of lag in Bukkit vs. Spigot when we were experiencing it during the latest CTF attempt. If Spigot helps with our short term issues now, I'd appreciate a look into seeing how it would do so.

Thank you again for your help.

Something I want to add; seems like there are issues surrounding leads right now (can't place them on a protected fence, anyone can smash leads regardless of protection, leads disappear on restart/chunk unload) - could we look into fixing those as well?

Something I want to add; seems like there are issues surrounding leads right now (can't place them on a protected fence, anyone can smash leads regardless of protection, leads disappear on restart/chunk unload) - could we look into fixing those as well?

Leads breaking on chunk unload is a known issue on Mojang's end.

A lead API has only recently been added to CraftBukkit and as far as I can tell WorldGuard has not yet used it to fix the other issues you mention.

A lead API has only recently been added to CraftBukkit and as far as I can tell WorldGuard has not yet used it to fix the other issues you mention.

Ah yeah. I haven't been keeping up with my mails.  Apparently that's in 1.6.2-R0.2 which we're on atm.  We can wait a few days and see what happens with WorldGuard.  I'm anxious to get back to work on the CTF plugin.  If WorldGuard is going to take a long time I can look into integrating leash management with the existing /unlock-horse system.

Admin command /find-pets is implemented. Example:

/find-pets 50 dog,cat,horse totemo Fluffy

Run the command without arguments for usage help.

The last two arguments (player and pet name) are optional and act as wildcards if omitted.  There was a problem with leashes interfering with the command.  Upgrading CommandHelper fixed that on my test server and I have upgraded PvE and Survival to that version of the plugin.

I decided that if I implemented /give-pet <playe> players would misspell the recipient's name and then I would have to implement an admin command for us to change the owner (I may still need to do that but we'll see).  Instead, I opted to allow players to untame their pets with /untame. (https://nerd.nu/forum/index.php?/topic/712-one-more-new-command-for-pve-players/)

Also, please note that that I have added a KitchenSink.petadmin permission. Anyone with this permission (P admins) can bypass the owership check on /unlock-horse, /lock-horse and /untame - you can apply those commands to animals you do not own.  You will see a warning message showing the original owner of the animal when you do so.

• Upvote 1