Fleeing To No-PVP Zone(s)

roastnewt

There used to be a rule on Survival that stated (something along the lines of):

"No fleeing to non-pvp zones to avoid/survive pvp"

This was an issue in revisions 7 and before, when spawn was an just area of the map that could be easily re-entered just by walking back into it.  People who were about to die would run back into the spawn zone where they couldn't be hurt.

I did not know when this rule was removed, but it no longer appears to be on nerd.nu/rules.

There is still (at least) one notable way to re-enter spawn, via The End.

This rule is being half-enforced.  Mods who remember this rule are still enforcing it, telling people that they cannot stay in spawn if they are chased through the end.  Newer mods, especially those who have come to Survival after being modded on PvE or Creative, do not enforce this rule, because it is not on the rule page.

I think we need a definitive answer from the Survival Admins about whether this is a rule or not.

Edited by roastnewt
  • Upvote 4

I see the same problem like tolgar here.

If the mods dont know that someone is chased through the end and then uses the portal to get to spawn we cant track it.

So all we have is the word of the chaser (who says the other guy did it) and the word of the chased (who undoubtly will say he didnt do it)

So all we can do is keeping an eye on this and hope we catch him red handed.

Everything else would be unfair and it would make the moderators exploitable.

So like i said we can only get active if we see it happen.

( And on a personal side, If you chased someone through the map and the end and he still managed to get away. Dont you think he kinda earned the short rest ? ;-) )

• Upvote 3

I think this should be addressed, in my opinion, using the end to escape from a pvp situation in order to protect loot, materials, etc. seems like a legitimate method rather than falling into a death pit with hoppers, if someone being chased was willing to travel all the way to the portal to get away from their pursuer they should be entitled to use that loophole into spawn.

But if it is used as an easy access to avoiding pvp all together, the person using that method isn't understanding the point of the server.

Edited by Magnyus
  • Upvote 1

I think this should be addressed, in my opinion, using the end to escape from a pvp situation in order to protect loot, materials, etc. seems like a legitimate method rather than falling into a death pit with hoppers, if someone being chased was willing to travel all the way to the portal to get away from their pursuer they should be entitled to use that loophole into spawn.

Well, any PVP in the End is prone to this.  Just like in the overworld, PVP tends to turn into "chase them until they run out of enderpearls," but in the End, they can just enderpearl to the safezone-portal in the middle of the end.  Using a safezone is not a legitimate strategy, and is tantamount to logging in combat.

Also, 

If the mods dont know that someone is chased through the end and then uses the portal to get to spawn we cant track it.

So all we have is the word of the chaser (who says the other guy did it) and the word of the chased (who undoubtly will say he didnt do it)

It's pretty obvious when someone is in spawn wearing armor that they came from the end.  You could make the same arguments against logging in combat (mods have to witness it, we can't track it, it's he-said-she-said), but THAT's still against the rules.

• Upvote 4

http://jd.bukkit.org/dev/apidocs/org/bukkit/event/player/PlayerPortalEvent.html

That is the specific event. You can then call "getCause()" on the event, and if it is PlayerPortalEvent.TeleportCause.END_PORTAL, then they went through an end portal. The logic would be the same as the hit and log out logic.

(I don't see a github repository for nolog on nerd's github, only the original by c45y. I'd add it, but seeing as our most recent code isn't available, probably not worth the effort)

Edited by zifnab06
  • Upvote 2

We have quite a few rules where there nothing is logged; logging to avoid PvP (before being hit) being an example, where we have to have a staff member see it happen. 

Wouldn't it just be "fleeing through the end portal to avoid pvp"?  If the newer mods don't know where the pvp > nopvp is happening, bolding the rule isn't gonna help much.

We need mods on S who know what to watch for when moderating PvP. If we're getting new mods who don't know how to do that, then they should learn. To know where PvP is, you either need to be messaged quickly or even just look in chat to see the kill messages.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, oops. That's not there any more. But it should be. We'll update the wiki to properly reflect that. 

In the mean time, here's a makeshift wording of the rule to follow:

"Using any method of teleportation (such as the end portal, /spawnme etc.) to avoid pvp encounters will result in a ban. If observed by a staff member using spawn to avoid pvp in such a manner, you will be asked to move immediately or face a ban."
  • Upvote 3

Guest Former Staff

From reading through the posts here, there is an interesting discussion ongoing where hopefully Draykhar and Tharine will respond too once everyone else has had a chance to post their thoughts.

No I'm trying to tell u something. Just answer my question.

Hey Teddylover, I'm just jumping into this topic because I want to hear your thoughts more. I'm a little confused regarding your question about whether there is currently an end grinder on S, after asking in IRC N00ble let me know that there is currently one (although possibly private, if this has a bearing on your question). Despite my confusion, I see you're trying to get to a point further down the line, my only request would be to make your intentions clear so that your questions remain relevant to the topic please.

Ok thank you.

What I am saying is if there is going to be PlayerPortalEvent and with no mods on, how would staff tell the difference whether they're running away from an attacker or they're just going to an End grinder for xp or getting some endstone from the end?

... event triggered when entering a portal. If it can be tracked, at least there would be a log of someone jumping in shortly after taking a hit.

• Upvote 4

It's a bit unfair to make it so if you are chased in the end your only option other than fighting is to run straight through spawn (without stopping) and into the middle of PvP based activity which may be ages away from your base. The end isn't big enough to lose a pursuer in and the method of flight is restricted to a set running path. If i'm in the mainland and I want to run from someone, I have many directions I can run in without worry of running to a cliff edge. I think it should be easier for a player to flee whilst in the End or at least I think that not letting them stop in the pvp safe area they were forced into needs to be changed.

I may have overllooked something here and if so, I sincerely apologize.

Thank you,

Dark

• Upvote 1