[PMC] Web Mod Interface Proposal

LadyCailin

After some consideration, I came up with an idea to make moderation tools a bit easier to manage, using a web interface. Many times when moderating, doing everything in game can be cumbersome and overwhelming, despite the wiki help pages. So, I propose creating a web app, which will allow mods to sign in to, and perform common tasks from the web. Some tasks would require the mod to be online at the same time, others would not, depending on the function. Some of the tasks that I can think of offhand (tasks with * mean that the mod doesn't actually need to be signed into the game as well): unbanning*, kicking/banning, deleting modmode player data*, checking/sending mail*, viewing longer readouts of commands, etc. I'm sure once the framework is setup, there would be loads more ideas for this.

The backend would be a PHP/JS webapp that hooks into the server using mark2 and CH. Mods would have to log into the app and link their MC account (can be done automatically) and of course it would be secured.

Are there any technical or philosophical objections to adding this, or do you have ideas for any other modules?

I have created a mockup of kind of what I have in mind here: http://nerd.nu/modtools/ (no login is necessary, it's just a mockup, click login to get to the next page)

• Upvote 2

One thing I've wanted for a while now, Cailin, if you're up for it, is a system to add notes to modreqs. I think this would be helpful in those cases where a modreq is too complicated for a single moderator to handle, and multiple viewpoints may be needed. Or when a staff member feels a completed modreq could have been handled differently. It could show up when you /check. I think it would be another handy feature to go along with your proposed interface.

• Upvote 1

Based off the tasks mentioned, I have no problem with this. It functions much like irc does, but is more accessible to people than irc can be. And I know being able to reset your own modmode player data would be very helpful (and take some burden off the techs).

Outside the ones mentioned above, I would want to consider each additional task on a case-by-case basis.

I also like the idea of being able to add notes to modreqs.

One thing that would be useful would be an ability to quickly see when a note or ban happened, perhaps compared to the current time.

Maybe like:

Player Sapphric:

Note (Being awesome on P) added 18h ago at HH:MM:SS on DD/MM/YY

Or something like that. Many times I've wanted to see if some grief happened prior to or since a warning note was added, and it's a bit cumbersome to have to go to the MCBouncer site to check.

One thing that would be useful would be an ability to quickly see when a note or ban happened, perhaps compared to the current time.

Maybe like:

Player Sapphric:

Note (Being awesome on P) added 18h ago at HH:MM:SS on DD/MM/YY

I've been meaning to submit a patch to the MCBouncer plugin to give the option of showing time-stamps on notes and bans in game.  But, you know... busy.  As far as I'm aware, all of that information is accessible through the MCBouncer API.  It should be made accessible in-game.

Web interfaces give me the heebie-jeebies.  Be very careful with this, LadyCailin.