Could PVE Please have a sprinkle of PvP?

Darkelmo

I often find that what scares off players from survival isn't the restriction of playing in the first hour by other armored players but this aspect in general when trying to carry out life minning and building continuously. I think it is important for players to be able to prepare themselves minning for and building with supplies without a constant fear of in-game death. I always wished that I could get competitive with other players on S but there are so many scenarios that can occur within the vast world and I think arena based fighting along with safe living help to promote an orderly and not so hostile experience.

I think the true PvP experience comes from the arena battles. Fighting under your own will with certain promise of benefits seems to be a good way of living in my opinion. I would like an experience in PVE where you can have a clash with other cities' inhabbitants in a designated area like that of the wilderness in RuneScape ( Though I do not wish to advertise or even endorse the stupidity that Jagex created). The area wouldn't have to be huge but one that could include a chase and hiding so that confrontation can be secondary to fleeing. I find that the whole 'Everything is a struggle to live in this world" mentality of S intense and thrilling but what I find to distract from this is players reluctance to play due to the dominating pressence of combat (and therefore spite and rivalry) that occurs with activity they clearly don't want it included in. There is practically no reason to armor up in Pve as you only really fight mobs. The difficulty in PVE is not very punishing and I love to fight with my diamonds but I can't find anything worth using them on! :(

I in no way want to turn S into P or vis versa but I do wish that there was some kind of combat in PVE that people could find rewarding. I apologize if this is a post concerning only my interests and not that of others in the community which I estimated to be in favour of this also ( I could be the only one in favor of this and if so disregard it entirely). And if there is an arena like so in PVE and I am completely unaware of such a thing, please fill free to downvote this post to hell or even delete it as it will have been a waste of time for me to write and for you to read.

Thanks guys, - Darkelmo

Edited by Darkelmo
  • Upvote 2

This already exists.

http://redditpublic.com/wiki/PvE

"The PvE (Player versus Environment) server allows players to battle the environment and mobs while working with, instead of
against, other players. The emphasis is usually on collaborative building and friendly competition. The entire map is PvE, without player-on-player damage, with limited exceptions for a few PvP-enabled arenas."
Edited by unce
  • Upvote 1

...one that could include a chase and hiding so that confrontation can be secondary to fleeing.

This is the key difference between the existing allowance of limited pvp arenas and Darkelmo's proposition. Currently, the only permissible pvp on P is effectively the genre of cage matches. This was intended to keep the missions of PvE and Survival distinct, which is why it took months before any pvp on P was officially approved by the head admins, quite a while ago. Attempts to make larger (and thus typically more tactically interesting) pvp arenas on P have consistently been shot down under this doctrine, partially due to concerns that the PvE server with large pvp regions would leech regular S players who would prefer a mixed play style.

There are plenty of PvP arenas, one I even built myself in Seneca, feel free to come check it out sometime.  As for what Unce said, yes you can build a certain limited area PvP arena.  

Unfortunately having arenas on p isn't enough for full prot4 PVP, there are a few things that are deal breakers. One issue is that getting PVP gear for regular matches requires unreasonable amounts of time, there is no xp buff or any other aid such as enchantism. That's a huge deterrent for PVP. Another big issue is lag; lag affects both s and p, but from what I've heard p has even more lag. Another thing that would have made PVP viable on P was the /duel command. This would allow 1v1s outside arenas without disturbing other fellow PVErs. This idea was also dismissed by the admins.

I personally would love to see PVP on p and I don't think it would affect s. Regular s players have made it resoundingly clear that they hate PVE areas, so they have no reason to switch to PVE.

At this point it depends on both the community to give feedback on whether they would like something like /duel and a way to make enchanting a bit more reasonable for pvp gear but also it depends on the admins to be open to change.

I'm not trying to say that P should be more survival like. In a perfect world, I wish there was an entire server dedicated to this hybrid of S and P. This is too costly though and wouldn't be that popular but what I thought instead was just that there could be a minor modification to PVE that could allow a little bit of both (Most of the map needs to house, supply and be explored by the P players). Although this seemed to be a good idea in my head, I'm starting to worry about the extra work that this will make for the staff on P. Plugins would need to be developed or copied over from S and rules would need to be enforced. I am entirely happy for this to be ignored since it has come to my attention that there is a cooperative Arena system and I am most certainly content with this. I do think it should be a little more obvious though as I had no Idea (Although this might have been mentioned at spawn, as a long time nerd user I don't tend to forget the rules so I don't read much)

Thanks for the information, 

- Darkelmo

I do think it should be a little more obvious though as I had no Idea (Although this might have been mentioned at spawn, as a long time nerd user I don't tend to forget the rules so I don't read much)

Thanks for the information,

- Darkelmo

Areas are not listed at spawn because they are not server run. Players have made a lot of arenas, and then they modreq for an admin to approve it for a PvP region. Your best bet to find them is to ask around. There are many different kinds of arenas. Some PvP regions aren't even focused on fighting, but rather need PvP enabled for a game to work, like the one Dobreria built in Seneca. Happy searching.

Is P leeching users from S something that is to be avoided? The opposite, that P is quiet and S is busy because P players are on S, has been frequently said recently.

Indeed. I think we should aim at making the best servers possible and let users decide where they want to play for themselves. For example couldn't we add koth to P? After a day of city building, wouldn't it be cool to play some koth with fellow PVErs on p? If the reason not to have koth is because it's something exclusive to s, then we are artificially limiting the server's potential.

• Upvote 3

Is P leeching users from S something that is to be avoided? The opposite, that P is quiet and S is busy because P players are on S, has been frequently said recently.

I wonder how much this is pve'ers bored with the old rev and looking for something, anything new. So they migrated to S because it was/is a new/er rev. We'll see how many stay active on S after P resets :-)

That being said, bring it up with the PAdmins. The mumble meeting would be the perfect opportunity to do so. I'm willing to entertain the idea of bigger pvp areas if players want them and we can, from a technical standpoint,support them. And koth on P does sound like fun :-)

I wonder how much this is pve'ers bored with the old rev and looking for something, anything new. So they migrated to S because it was/is a new/er rev. We'll see how many stay active on S after P resets :-)

While at first I was a bit against the idea of any player deciding to do this, if anything, it's proven to be a good experience to anyone that's been pretty exclusive to their server. I know that a good number of C players decided to have a go at S and discovered that it's actually a great server to play on. I would hope that once rev 25 and 12 come out for C and P, any players that leave will only go to set themselves up and get the beginning of the rev experience, then return to S to resume any progress they've made.

• Upvote 1