Let's discuss CTF Tactics

MasterCommaThe

Many of us have played Capture The Flag before, but plenty also have limited experience. I've opened up this discussion so some of the more experienced players can discuss how to be an effective participant in a CTF, and so new players can ask questions.

To start I suggest discussing your perspectives on what the various roles and tasks are at the beginning of an event. Perhaps also discuss the importance of King of The Hill (KOTH) and other mini-games.

• Upvote 4

Keep everyone organized. Like nolanater said, make farms, and mine. Those two should be your number 1 priority for the first few hours (Always light up your farms with torches!). If you can, send 3-4 people with armor and swords to capture flags/kill enemies. I did this at the very beginning of the last CTF, and got tons of loot and points. Have a team of killers (me being one of them), and have a team of miners to make you armor, swords, and gather xp. 

Minigames like KOTH and Fazaden's Race last CTF were huge boosts to your team's points. Try to have several people go to these, too.

Edited by buchanman
  • Upvote 4

Distractions are helpful, like making bridges and barriers. Teams rush in to break them up while you sneak round ;)

I agree, this is a C Player's bread and butter. While a tunnel through a mountain may be more direct and have more throughput, a skybridge over one can be constructed in a 1/10 of the time. It's really great if your skybridge is made out of your team's wool (which inflicts damage on opposing teams when they stand on it). 

Always carry a stack of scrap material (cobble/dirt) when you leave your base (unless you can get stacks of your team's wool) so that you can recross another team's skybridge made of their wool by simply laying your material on top. Having a final stack of sand so you can drop it over the edge of your skybridge (building a tard tower) will allow you to get down safely once you're close to their base. 

I'm a C player at heart, and so I guess I'll be expounding mostly upon those player's tactics. We're the bridge builders, and we harry other teams by impeding their paths/exits/entrances. Then while they deal with that, we sneak in the base, steal the flag, and run like hell. You don't need armor if no one can touch you. 

Those of you who are more into tunnel building, all the better. Tunnels are what win the game in the end. They're direct routes to opposing bases, and with a minetrack they bring your team to the other base with an efficiency you wouldn't believe. The tracks work both ways though, and so are only good for a limited time before they must be destroyed to prevent reverse transits. In the last CTF we were using the minetrack between Red and Blue Team to effect a capture once every 10 minutes. This might seem like a long time, but considering that you couldn't even get to the opposing base by running for 10 minutes, much less make a round trip, you can see how much this paid off.

Minigames like KOTH and Fazaden's Race last CTF were huge boosts to your team's points. Try to have several people go to these, too.

This CTF, though there may be some benefit to completing some of the minigames for the prizes (some of which are rather good), they're mostly there for fun.

In this event, you will need to weigh the benefit of holding the buffs.