Rail Plans for Rev 12

TheRandomnatrix

As can be pretty easily guessed, I plan to build a CARBON network next rev in my quest to create an organized, easily accessible rail network for everyone. My goal this rev is to make it as easy as possible for towns to link into the network, where they can access a wide variety of destinations and further explore the map and all that the community has to offer.

How to get involved:

I'm going to need as much help as possible for this server-wide project. If you're interested in helping out or showing support from your town, contact me via ingame mail, on Reddit, the forums, or in this post. Even something as trivial as a donation of a stack of iron at the start of the rev can go a long way if even a few people do it. If you have rail plans of your own, feel free to mention them. 

CARBON Hubs:

I'm going to be building several CARBON hubs located across the map, particularly at the cardinals. These stations will allow towns to connect to them via normal rail lines, without having to rely on a specific town and ensuring the process be as neutral as possible. These stations will be located at cardinals of roughly 800 out from spawn

There will also be a station located at spawn run by UMC, which is planned to be CARBON compatible.

Connecting in and the number of destinations:

IDs will be limited mainly to towns and "significant builds". However, there is no limit to the number of towns that can build rails going into hubs, so I encourage anyone and everyone to build rails going in to them.

The number of ID numbers is planned to be 32, but the units will be built in such a way that there will be support for 64 if need be.

The Network:

It's going to be a bidirectional loop at about 600 blocks out from spawn. Additional smart lines will be built later on connecting to the UMC station. But there's an added twist: I am going to try making the lines above ground. The redstone will be covered up with dirt/sand to make it less ugly. My goal with this is to bring back those above ground rails we've come to miss while retaining all the function of a rail network.

The Nether: 

I plan to do what I can in the nether alongside UMC in a timely manner to get nether rails(carbon) up and running. Please do me a favor and make your portal as accessible as possible so I can get to work on it ASAP and avoid repeating the issues I faced rev 11. The rails in the nether will be covered in either glass or slabs to reduce collisions with the pigmen populace. If there is a particular aesthetic design you want to bring up, I'm open to suggestions.

Overall, I'm hoping to make this the best rail network yet, and I wish you all  luck in the coming revision. Also, forgive the horrible formatting. Tried to highlight as many important pieces of info as possible :P

• Upvote 5

Metal Mountains is planning to stick with CARTS this revision BUT, we're making our station expandable. To start with we will have 9 destinations and will make it expandable to 36 if need be. I just can't seem to get the hang of CARBON and I can't seem to find extremely simple tutorials that allow my redstone-less pea brain to understand. Of course, no offence to Random or the CARBON team who designed it or made the tutorials.

Metal Mountains is planning to stick with CARTS this revision BUT, we're making our station expandable. To start with we will have 9 destinations and will make it expandable to 36 if need be. I just can't seem to get the hang of CARBON and I can't seem to find extremely simple tutorials that allow my redstone-less pea brain to understand. Of course, no offence to Random or the CARBON team who designed it or made the tutorials.

That's totally fine. The hubs are intended to allow towns to connect to them via normal rails if you don't want to learn CARBON.

• Upvote 1

Pico is building a station that is CARBON based. though there are 32 buttons in the station, 10 will be for local lines. ALL our rails in the local area to pico need to be underground and I was planning to put a distribution hub in near our main station. this hub would look at the address of incoming traffic and direct it either north east or west (there isn't really anything south of pico). The location of this is yet to be decided but is likely to be around 1000, 30, 1500. Can we get some document set up with the relevant address of different towns. Is it possible to group the addresses to reflect the rough area of where the destination is so that redirecting is easy. 

Awesome! I'm really excited about CARBON. I don't fully understand the Redstone behind it, just enough to realize how ingenous it is. (The signaling system and memory circuits are pretty cool.) :)

The rails in the nether will be covered in either glass or slabs to reduce collisions with the pigmen populace.

Definitely glass. Seeing the surrounding nether while you speed by is more fun than a nondescript wall.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, just wondering what the progress on the 600 loop CARBON is and if there are any address assigned yet. 2ndly pico now has a carbon line run to near the ++ corner of the loop and i was wondering how we go about connecting and if there is a good place connect to? planning on having three lines at the end of our line 1) CARBON line to go W/S 2) CARBON line to go N/E 3) dumb line to pico.

• Upvote 1