[PMC] Grinders and Fall Traps

WyndySascha

Hello Chaps, just a quickie:

I know there's a rule about not building inescapable traps on P.  Do we need one to cover the construction and safety of grinders with enclosed spaces within?  Falling into grinders can be a pain in the arse - I know that it's just a quick /modreq to get someone out, and that some grinders can't physically exclude players if what's being ground is larger (like an iron golem), but should we ask people to, I dunno, block player ingress or at least stick up some warning signs?  And it might stop people digging their own way out through builds and redstone?

Thinking of /modreq 6969.

I think a few people found their way into the Rose Iron Grinder last rev. We did our best to ensure that even if they did fall in, they wouldn't die and would be able to get out through a door. In the end horses remained as the only problem, because of their speed and the server's render distance. Even when we raised the wall they somehow managed to jump in and they were regularly rescued by Rosarians.

I think there needs to be some sort of safe guards in place, but there's also some responsibility on the players themselves. Some fall in because they're exploring and jumping around places that are not really designed to be walked through. To require a fully enclosed space where not even the most idiotic absentminded person could fall in while jumping around would be too much to ask, since it would take a toll on the scenery (we do like things pretty), but some sort of fence probably is expected.

What it comes to things still under construction, I don't think it's reasonable to ask players to make sure there's no way for anyone to fall anywhere. That's way too much coddling. People need to watch their step a bit as well and not expect the world to be safe.

Edit. I ended up rescuing that guy. I'd say it was totally his own fault. It wasn't a spot where you end up without some heavy exploring.