Citlalin [defiex]

Citlalin

I was banned after disengaging and logging off. There was no need for this. I ask that the ban be removed.

If there is anything I need to do please let me know, but I did disengage and I logged off on my own, without being told.

I tried to log back in, hours later, and found I was banned, which means it happened after I disengaged and logged off.

eta: ask this question. If there was such a problem, why wasn't I banned while the conversation was going on?  That would have been the sensible thing to do, wouldn't it?  But the fact is, I wasn't.  But, I did recognize that it was getting out of hand, and so I did the only right thing that I could do in such an instance - that right thing is to disengage and log off.  I did that, and I was banned anyway, and after doing so.  Maybe this was just a message.  If so, received and acknowledged, but I cannot but consider that this is out of accord with regard to past handling of similar instances.

eta2: I just reviewed my chat logs and final communication prior to getting banned, I challenge you to read it too. I got banned for calling some unnamed people "fucking fussy" at 01:05:41 and then logging off 59 seconds later, at 01:06:40 . That's bannable here?  I guess it is. Well, then, it's a good thing I didn't call them something worse, isn't it?

This ban is completely unwarranted, it is ridiculous, and it is absolutely frivolous. The so-called merit upon which it is based is tenuous at best, but is realistically unsupportable.  It is an expression of angry emotional outburst on the part of he who brought the action. Please take it off now, because it should never have happened in the first place.

Edited by defiex
edited to correct title format

• Citlalin changed the title to [defiex] Banned after logging off.

Hello Citlalin,

Thank you for posting an appeal.  I will not be removing your ban until your month is up and you have re-appealed showing that you understand what you have done and will not do so again. I would also like to be very clear: any further inappropriate conduct towards myself or any of our staff will have that ban length extended. 

To clarify, you were not banned because you called either myself or other players "fucking fussy." I’ve been called much worse.  You were banned because you have consistently made other players uncomfortable with unasked for comments about their bodies and continued inappropriate violent comments.  You have been banned multiple times for multiple infractions over the past two years. We have received multiple complaints from more than a few players.  I have tried speaking with you as has another Head Admin, with our third Head Admin suggesting that perhaps NerdNu is not the server you are looking for. I agree with this sentiment. 

I appreciate that you took the time to review your chat logs. In those same chat logs, please look a little further back to the point where you were ‘teasing’ another player about their socks after you’d been repeatedly told by that player and others to stop. If you are unable to handle yourself with some semblance of decorum, perhaps a multiplayer Minecraft Server is not the place for you. 

You may re-appeal March 18, 2024.

Feb 2022 Ban:

March 2023 Ban Appeal:

August 2023 Ban Appeal:

August 2023 Note Appeal:

You said "That's rude, stop."  I said what I said about people being fussy (because I was frustrated with the situation), and even admitted to being fussy myself) and then logged off.  I actually wasn't even referring to you with that comment, I didn't intend to name-call you or insult you at all.  It was a frustrated expression about "some people" without any intention to attach any names to that. 

The connection log will show that I didn't try to log back on for some hours.  So, it seems to me that I actually did what you said to do.  I stopped by logging off and staying off.  I certainly did not persist or press on, which would have been a mistake.

What I don't understand is:  If I hadn't logged off, but instead simply stopped talking entirely, would I have still been banned?  What if if I had simply stopped talking and just went about building stuff in silence?  Would I have been banned?  Or would I have been fine?  If the answer to that is banned regardless, then why ask me to stop rather than just ban?  If the answer is fine, then why was I banned after logging off?  That's what I don't get. 

The terminal sequence of events to me looks like: 

1) Me: stupid joke

2) You: That's rude, stop.

3) Me: Fussy people etc.

4) I logged off.

5) At some point after (maybe right after?) I was banned.

So it looks like I actually did stop, and on that technical detail that's why I think I shouldn't have been banned after logging off.  Unless you had already decided to ban before/at the time you said to stop, but that seems to not make sense.

I completely understand the rest of what you said and I hate to hinge any argument on a technical detail like that, but that detail does exist and it seems to be an important one, because the decision to ban should have been as a result of a failure or refusal to stop, which did not happen.  You said stop.  I did not persist.

Please advise.

Edited by Citlalin

• defiex changed the title to Citlalin [defiex]

Hello Citlalin,

We do not ban frivolously.  Each time a player is banned, we take some time to review the to-be-banned player's history (of which yours is extensive and troubling) and reach out to affected players to get their side of the story.   It's unfortunate that you think taking a few minutes to confirm my information before entering your ban was too long. 

6 hours ago, Citlalin said:

So it looks like I actually did stop, and on that technical detail that's why I think I shouldn't have been banned after logging off.  Unless you had already decided to ban before/at the time you said to stop, but that seems to not make sense.

You did not stop as was noted by the fact that I needed to say anything at all.  The harassment clock does not reset with the dawn of a new day. 

You may appeal your ban March 18, 2024

Thank you for the further explanation.  I now understand that there was more that went into this, and that is why I was banned after logging off.  Please consider my argument above to be withdrawn.

I don't consider it unfortunate that you took a few minutes to confirm your information, I think you believe me when I say that if I felt that way I would tell you.  On the contrary, taking some time to gather the right information and sort things out is a good thing, and it's one of those things that sets Nerd apart from others.  You are dedicated to fairness, and I recognize it and thank you for it.

Lastly, if there are so many complaints about a player, it is unhelpful to everyone if the situation is allowed to progress to an advanced state before informing said player.  Early communication is important.  I feel that this could be an area of improvement.  If the player reacts badly, it is on them, not you.  If they can't take the advice, they get to write an appeal instead, and it is on them to do it correctly.

At this time please accept my apology and I would ask forgiveness for this regrettable situation.

Thank you for your time and consideration here in hearing me out and replying.  I will re-address matter on 18 Mar 2024. 

Edited by Citlalin