Collection of Survival-related threads

Tharine

In an effort to try and round up a lot of the miscellaneous discussions that go on either on the subreddit or forums, i've decided to make this thread for any Survival-related discussions that come up. I've pinned it so that it doesn't get lost in the shuffle like the other threads, and i'll be using it as a directory that's easy to link to (inspired by the need to have an easy link available for the [server] rotation).

That said, i've put together a bunch of threads that I feel are either directly related to Survival, might interest Survival players, or will in some way have an effect on how Survival operates. Any discussions that come up following this thread, I encourage people to link here as well.

Plugins

"Vanilla PvP is broken in 1.6" - A thread that aim(s/ed) to pinpoint and counteract some of the changes that Mojang brought in with the 1.6 update that negatively affected PvP. We've since debuffed strength potions to the values they held in 1.5, but we are still looking to see whether other changes suggested need to be made.

"Enchantism plugin" - An earlier thread from when we were discussing the possibility of bringing Enchantism on board in the first place, this thread showcases some of the discussion that went into the consideration for what Enchantism would actually provide, and in what ways it would change gameplay

"Enchantism - Vanilla Level Enchants" - The enchanting plugin we brought on board with Revision 22, Enchantism, provides room for allowing enchants to go up to level IV, where in the vanilla game they would otherwise be unable to (e.g. Knockback IV). This poll aims to identify whether people are interested in capping particular enchants at their vanilla levels, or opening up the ability to enchant them at higher-than-normal levels.

"Suggestion: Disable hurting people from the same clan on S." - Title describes it well. Although an old post, one I would like to see given further consideration.

"Searching for the /ignore command" - A mildly redundant thread now that we do indeed have an /ignore command on Survival, I hope to revisit this at some point in order to establish whether we could get an ignore command set up to work alongside our /msg system (as it currently only works for text 'spoken' in public chat.

[NEW] "Anachronos - Automatic Rollback" - Taken from it's GitHub description, "Anachronos is a plugin developed with PvP servers in mind. After a configurable interval, any blocks broken or placed in a region that weren't by the region owner are "reset" and rolled back." This thread aims to propose it's implementation and enable discussion on whether it is suited to the Survival community.

Policy

"Redefining 'dicks'" - An older thread, but certainly one that still needs greater consideration. The "don't be a dick" rule has long been ambiguous and subjectively applied from both player and staff alike, and this thread aims to find a better understanding of what this rule actually means.

"Protections on Survival. Shut up and read it first >.<" - An apt title, given how contentious of an idea protections on Survival are. The suggestion has taken a back seat in the face of other topics/issues, but it is definitely one worth looking into.

"Discussing the /duel command" - An idea that's been floating around for at least 8 months now, the /duel command would allow players to engage in organised fights with one another, perhaps with the ability to gain rewards for doing such. This command is nowhere near being implemented due to a lack of discussion on what it should involve, and should perhaps at this stage be considered an idea stashed away for another time.

"SMP Client mods." - A thread started and maintained mostly by one player, the aim of the thread was to provide room for suggesting client mods that are of interest to Survival players, and whether or not they were suitable to be permitted on the servers. Other server demands have drawn my focus away from this thread, but I hope to revisit it sometime in the near future.

""Hopholes" discussion" - A thread discussing a previous suggestion of banning hopper-lined traps as their existence provides "an unfair hopper structure which avoids item loss from PVP". An interesting topic, and certainly one that deserves greater discussion.

"Spawn Camping" - A thread for discussing the issue of spawn camping, what it entails, and how to best go about dealing with it.

General threads for Survival

"Bringing on board another Survival admin" - We're scouting interest from anyone on who they might like to see join myself and Draykhar as part of the Survival admin team. See information in that thread on how to contact me about this!

"Revision 22 Change & Discussion Thread" - A poll and discussion thread that aimed to assess what changes people would be interested in seeing be brought into the new revision. Whilst the new revision is now in place, the lack of discussion has stalled some decisions from being made and though some have since been implemented, other things remain unchanged. Some topics have branched out into threads of their own, and we'll be moving to do similar with some of the remaining changes that were up for suggestion.

"Saving S" - Copied over from his original subreddit post on the matter, TheKingDuff endeavours to establish some ideas on how we can improve and better our Survival server. 

"Changes on Survival" - A poll put up by TornadoHorse, his aim was to first establish what types of things people were interested in seeing changed, and to move on from there once he had gathered some results.

"Changes on Survival: Part 2!" - The accompanying discussion thread to the aforementioned poll, a lot of great conversation takes place in this post that is worth reading.

General threads for the entire server community

"Should we get votifyer?" - A discussion on whether we should look to making use of a voting system that could encourage greater advertisement of our community on Minecraft server listing websites.

"New command: /painting"  - Not a discussion as such, but something that many people might not be aware of. On all three servers you are now able to select what painting you would like to place ahead of time, avoiding the hassle of trying to find the right one.

"Two new commands for players" - Two more commands provided by totemo, we now have commands that allow you to check when the upcoming restart is, as well as see who owns what pet on the PvE server.

"Summer Mod Nominations Vote" - Although now closed, here's the most recent moderator nominations thread, which included some players from Survival.

"Clanchat Changes" - zifnab06 writes of some of the changes made to the Clanchat system we use on all three servers.

"Mining diamond below lava with optifine" - A thread that was spawned from the misunderstandings between staff on whether or not using Optifine to be able to see clearly under lava was deemed an illegitimate practice of finding diamonds. An all around interesting discussion, and worth the read.

-----

The /r/ama section of the forums may also interest anyone in better getting to know some of their fellow Survival players.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another Survival related post

"Add a command to get the rule book back" - I created this thread because I was killed at spawn upon first login, and didn't have a chance to read the rulebook at all, totemo was nice enough to create the /rulebook command. Tharine also explains why we held off on enabling PvPTimer until after the first week of the new revision, overall it may interest several survival players