barneygale [Head admin]

barneygale

Hi,

I've begun writing a very long appeal, but it was becoming a messy wall-of-text. I'm going to write a short appeal here to test the waters. If it is denied, I will post a much more detailed appeal in a month or two (or whenever I am allowed to)

The TL;DR is this: beginning in about summer 2011, I became totally absorbed in MCPublic, to the detriment of my personal life. I spent 99% of my time alone, didn't return calls/texts, lost almost all the friends I had, ended up repeating a year at university, and was diagnosed with moderate-severe depression. When I quit MCPublic, the proverbial dam broke, and I took out all my repressed anger and frustration on the one community that had helped me through the most difficult time in my life by far. I used every tool at my disposal to create difficult situations for staff, then tried to point out their incompetency in an utterly misguided attempt to show how right I was.

I was wrong. While I still harbour doubts about the direction MCPublic is taking, I'm predominantly hopeful given the changes that have taken place over the past two months. My role on r/barneygale has been to report existing controversy, rather than create it. I have on occasion evaded my ban, and this should of course be taken into account in the response to this appeal. I hope I can be judged on my actions, rather than the opinions I hold. If appropriate, I will be happy to accept a length of time after which I can appeal again.

I am appealing my subreddit and IRC bans, with the hope to use this as a stepping-stone an an in-game unban.

Thank you for your consideration.

Barney Gale

Barney,

This reply is to let you know that this appeal has been noted, and just as we have already been discussing it, we still need a bit more time to come to an answer. For clarification, am I understanding correctly that you currently are only appealing the subreddit and IRC bans?

Please take your time - this is super-low priority.

You're correct in thinking I am only appealing subreddit and IRC.

I considered appealing my in-game ban too, but I decided that would be asking for too much. I'm aware of previous attempts by other players to appeal only irc/mumble/related which were denied on the basis that those services are for players on the servers, and thus banned players have no right to use them. If you decide to pursue this line of reasoning, please let me know first, and I will change my appeal to include in-game.

Barneygale, your actions in the past can be considered damnable, and you know that you have hurt many members of this community with your continuous violations of trust. However, the heads have conferred and decided to allow you back into irc, the subreddit, and the forums. 

That being said, I'd like you to consider this your one and only trial run. You will not yet be permitted back onto the nerd servers, but as we continue to build trust we will eventually revisit that limitation. 

We understand that you have not necessarily kept to the statutes of your previous ban - circumventing it with alts on the subreddit and in-game as recently as a few days ago. However as a sign of good faith, we are willing to look past that. On the opposite side, if you violate this trust again in any way or incite drama whilst in this trial period you will be removed and not welcome back under any circumstance.

While we understand and appreciate concerns being brought forth, it needs to be done in a manner that does not induce such uproar within the community - this does not solve anything. 

This is your final appeal. After this there will be no more chances.

Please refresh yourself with the rules thoroughly, reply here stating your understanding, and we will begin the unbanning process.