Project: Rev. 26 CTA

XkinOEC

Alright this has gone on long enough, we NEED to have a full CTA comeback. One that people can build together and make it into a fun and well made rail system that brings back the true spirit of building on C. This thread will be dedicated to any ideas, and planning we will do in advanced for the next revisions CTA.

• Upvote 1

While it makes sense like that, I would like to raise the idea of having slight curves to add some variet to a potentially dull line. But that's not dire.

Secondly, we should allow for expansions of the line by other people, in certain stations in areas likely to have their own transit systems, like Sega's cities and the like.

• Upvote 2

In the past we have allowed many sub connecting lines, and of course the CTA is known for buying out other railroads, we will have more than a few imperfect lines as time progresses these are just the set-in-stone lines that the cta always would make happen to some extent the lightblue line is the skyline by the way, and it will not be built until the admins confirm that the map is at full size. the loop lines always have a tendency to migrate from below to above ground, so expect that to occur.

In the past we have allowed many sub connecting lines, and of course the CTA is known for buying out other railroads, we will have more than a few imperfect lines as time progresses these are just the set-in-stone lines that the cta always would make happen to some extent the lightblue line is the skyline by the way, and it will not be built until the admins confirm that the map is at full size. the loop lines always have a tendency to migrate from below to above ground, so expect that to occur.

Sounds good. I'm a newb with this so, bear with me. I hope this map has more rivers, it'd be cool to make wooden forest bridges and whatnot...

The planned route looks too ring-y for me. I don't know, maybe rotate it 45 degrees? Or maybe make it more organic, i.e. build the rails as needed, but keep them relatively organized.

(Sorry if that doesn't make sense. At this time my brain is not completely operational.)

P.S. I've developed a slight obsession with my local transit system's train lines. I think I have some ideas for stations. (I've wanted to build a replica of South Campus for a while. http://www.seevirtual360.com/themes/52/VirtualTour.aspx?listingID=15475 )

I think at least stations should have access to numerous buildings around, rather than just for one or two builds. Maybe having people stick closer together could be something that should be considered for the whole of C. Also, it'd be nice if stations were more integrated into their surrounding builds, rather than being purely standalone. Having pedways connecting buildings would be nice.

Edited by GMMan
  • Upvote 1

Gmman, please keep in mind these are the base routes, the cardinal routes almost never turned to begin with, the loops can have some variation, but tend to remain at approximately a specific distance from spawn (however i am up for doing gradual curves on the loops. I'd also like to make note, these are the guaranteed lines, we will have lines that do not follow this pattern interconnected variously(not just straight lines or boxes). 

As for the station, we can totally do some IRL stations, if you were not already aware, the Reddit Railroad spawn station (built by Magnyus and myself) is based off of chicago's Union Station. We will totally can do that, just mark a station to create, or set aside land to build a station, elsewhere on a non cardinal/loop line.

As for station positioning, other than the interchange stations, we will only be building stations where people ask/have built so there wont be too much wasteful station building.

How/what scale would we use? I sort of think the CTA since it's not a mass transit system serving an area but a rapid transit serving several areas, that the stations should be large, whereas subway stations would be small, but on seperate lines.

Think: VTA (Villa) has small stations, but the CTA has large ones (on the current map)

Stations will vary, some will be extravagant, while others will be tiny, when I say subway stations, i dont mean the fact that they go underground, some regular stations will too, but when i say subway station, i mean its just a roofed staircase down to a platform.  

So station size really does depend on theme/location. 

As for scale, the cta used to follow rule of 4's 4 blocks tall, 4 blocks to the middle, 4 blocks between posts, 8 between beams, but its quite outdated... we will be making sample tunnel and above ground demos inside the testing facility on c soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...