[AC] Throwback Thursdays

Denevien

Should we do Throwback Thursdays  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Well... Should we?

• Aww Yiss
    • Eh... with some changes to what was proposed, I could support this
    • Hell Naw

So, I've had a thought (which was brought on by many comments by other people). I think it would be awesome to run a 24 hour map on event on Thursdays (in conjunction with the other 3 servers, not a replacement for them) that is old maps in a post-rev style chaos. We would keep some basic plug-ins such as logblock/worldboarder/etc, but would have firespread and blockdamage on. I think this would appeal to many different types of players: new players get to see how things were done in old times, and old players get the nostalgia feel of playing their old maps. I think we should choose a random order of C, S, and P (this is my preferred order), and have a weekly poll that runs from Friday to Tuesday/Wednesday. The poll would have a list of all revs (that we have a download for) for the chosen server for the week. Once a map is used, it will be removed from the poll the next time we use that server. The players can choose where they would like to go, where they'd like to destroy.

I'd like feedback from the techs to if this would be possible/feasible (I don't want to strain the other servers to run this), and if the other admins feel this would be a good idea. Vote in the poll, and leave comments if you'd like.

• Upvote 2

Would be kind of cool if this were accompanied by a rundown beforehand of some notable builds, events, clans/groups the map hosted. Get people who were around at the time to recount tales and things before to whet player's appetites. Wouldn't be a bad opportunity to encourage editing the wiki with things in relation to that revision.

edit: I think the old maps have potential to be used for a lot of neat event type ideas. Maybe this throwback thursdays will encourage players to imagine creative uses for the maps, or particular builds on them.

So, we haven't had techs post in here about the topic, so I poked slide, this was our convo:

<Denevien> slide, you still around?
<slide> I just got in bed
<Denevien> giggity
<Denevien> but for real, no techadmins have responded to the throwback thursday thread, I'd like some thoughts on if the box could handle it
<slide> Oh right. Is it gonna be creative mode? Static like c, no growth/mobs etc?
<Denevien> no, I'd like it to be like a post-rev chaos, so keep worldboarder/logblock/essential stuff
<Denevien> but let people run around, kill each other, blow shit up
<Denevien> using old revs
<slide> Ah, I don't think it'll be an issue. We can always try it and see

Unless anyone comes up with a reason not to post a public thread, I'll post it tomorrow (Sunday) evening, and get this rolling, and plan to have the first one be April 10th. So, speak now, or forever hold your peace.