[PMC] Recent staff dilema

CROCKODUCK

Okay guys, before we begin here, I personally feel I am doing the head admins job here.  Does this surprise me? Not at all.  This is an attempt to cool whatever tension we have building here.  The head admins passive approach to solve this "behind the scenes" is not how I feel this will be solved at all. 

For some background, basically myself and certain other moderators have been at eachothers throats over small disagreements lately.  Entirely my fault I'll admit because I'm not a person to rollover as most know.  That's how I've always been and will continue to be, but that ends up clashing often with how others see points.

Believe it or not I've been here for MANY years.  I wasn't truly active on the servers till about PvE rev 9 *AKA early 2012* but before then I was often well aware of the drama that plagued MCPublic.  Now I'm not trying to say that we need to go back to our old ways of ban first and ask questions later.  Lately alot of "problem players" have reared their heads.  Not quite as bad as back in the day when malicious intent was the name of the game, but enough to be noticeable.  Recent example would be a player targeting a former admin in chat and repeatedly harassing him despite warnings.  I personally think how we do bans and kicks is amazing and works very effectively.  I would say that 9/10 bans are legit, which is a very good number.  In general this is not something we should truly focus on fixing in staff, as *unless anyone has any valid points on this* our system works well.  

Fighting eachother in general is not going to accomplish anything folks, its honestly not.  I feel like perhaps the expectations for staff post has been looked over (even by myself) and could use a refresher.  Truly no one is innocent of the recent hostilities, whether said out loud of not.  We should all remember we are here to play on a server with friends whom we've known for many years now, 

I fully apologize for my moderator reporting comment about "these players still stick around?".  Albeit, it was NOT directed at staff at all, but rather a certain player who has just trolled forums, I do apologize.  I am hoping this thread brings a little bit of light around and is an open place for discussion on how to better ourselves.  

Thanks for your time. 

• Upvote 1

I think it is nice of you to step forward and admit fault towards some of these situations. If this whole situation has arisen due to the fact you could not compromise  with other staff members, it may be time to take a step back and relax for a bit.

I am also glad you have mentioned the Expectations for Staff post. Not too long ago I brought up a reminder of this, when I noticed staff members were being rather "dickish" in their responses to users on the forums.

I am a bit confused in how you are doing the job of the Head Admins though. From my understanding, its not their job to babysit us. As staff, we should all be mature enough to iron out our own indifference's, or at least not let it escalate out of control. MrLoud stepped in when this became too much and asked to speak privately to those involved. Is it "behind the scenes"? Yeah, maybe. However, seeing as it was between a few staff members, I think it was appropriate to handle it in a private matter. While we all love our drama, its best to keep it to a minimum if possible. 

I have sat here trying to formulate a response to this in a way that I will not sound like an ass. I am not sure my efforts were successful, as some points I felt needed addressing were not really ones to pussyfoot around.

• Upvote 5

The right message, coming from the right place.  It takes more effort than most people will admit (since they're usually trying to get someone else to do it) to swallow one's pride and back down from an escalating conflict.  I have seen, even in my relative absence, the tension building around the forums, and it's a bit of a relief to see something like this.  Would that it continues in this vein.

The right message, coming from the right place.  It takes more effort than most people will admit (since they're usually trying to get someone else to do it) to swallow one's pride and back down from an escalating conflict.  I have seen, even in my relative absence, the tension building around the forums, and it's a bit of a relief to see something like this.  Would that it continues in this vein.

I don't need anymore drama honestly, and this is a game and a community with friends.  I'm hoping the main folks involved actually see this.  While I am admiting my own faults in the situation, it arose from some other players who I would never expect to see it from, therefor I hope they find some resolution of their own. 

I am a bit confused in how you are doing the job of the Head Admins though. From my understanding, its not their job to babysit us. As staff, we should all be mature enough to iron out our own indifference's, or at least not let it escalate out of control. MrLoud stepped in when this became too much and asked to speak privately to those involved. Is it "behind the scenes"? Yeah, maybe. However, seeing as it was between a few staff members, I think it was appropriate to handle it in a private matter. While we all love our drama, its best to keep it to a minimum if possible. 

I say this because while I respect the heads, they often forget that even the worst situation can still be openly discussed and worked through, rather than discussed without others ears and then finalized to whatever resolution they find best.  You're a bit new here Dj8 so I wouldn't expect you to know all of the past drama, nor the ways they were solved.  I am simply hoping for some kind of open agreement between the other parties of this issue and find a "peaceful" resolution to say the least.  

I say this because while I respect the heads, they often forget that even the worst situation can still be openly discussed and worked through, rather than discussed without others ears and then finalized to whatever resolution they find best.  You're a bit new here Dj8 so I wouldn't expect you to know all of the past drama, nor the ways they were solved.  I am simply hoping for some kind of open agreement between the other parties of this issue and find a "peaceful" resolution to say the least.  

I may be newer to the staff side of things, but I've been kicking around nerd since S rev 13, so I've been around a while, as well as involved in a revision well known for the massive amount of drama it caused. I dont mean to start a pissing contest here, just clearing things up. 

Anyway, I am glad someone has come forth and addressed this publicly and I agree with what you are trying to accomplish here. My point about the "behind the scenes" stuff was that I think a private meeting between the members of this disagreement and a head or two is a good first step. But hey, if this cuts down the drama faster, I'm all for it.

• Upvote 2

I'm glad you brought up that "Expectations for staff" post. Personally, I feel it is long past time for it to be changed. It is more often than not used to manipulate staff. Generally, it goes 2 ways either 1) staff is being too harsh and "it's just a game" or 2) staff is being too "unprofessional" and that post is directly quoted. Ideally, I think the entire community should be held to the same standards of professionalism, whatever that may be.

• Upvote 1