January General Meeting - Topic Suggestion Form

Dumbo52

About three months ago, a general meeting was held on Mumble during which several topics brought up by the community were discussed. In an effort by the staff to continue keeping our channels of communication open to you guys, we'd like to begin planning another meeting.

These meetings are led by staff and can be attended by anyone with access to Mumble, our voice chat service. A recording of the meeting will also be provided afterward. The goal of this meeting will be to keep players up-to-date, share plans and ideas for the future of this community, and answer questions. In order to structure an organized meeting, though, we need a collection of topics with which to create an agenda. That's where you come in - please use this form to submit your ideas on what topics should be covered in the meeting.

The suggestion form will close on Wednesday, January 14, and an announcement containing the meeting time and agenda will be posted by Sunday, January 18. We will do our best to accommodate your suggestions, but if yours is not covered in the meeting, keep in mind that the floor will be open to questions during the latter part of the meeting.

• Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just giving everyone a late update as to why this meeting did not happen.

We did not really receive enough topics for a meeting , so we pushed it to the side and focused on other things. 

Here are the replies we received: 

What topics would you like to be discussed in this general meeting?

Policies in regards to community behavior - being more specific and lessening the grey area

---

Horribly abusive use of staff powers to "clean up" the forums. When did the forums become a means of professional communication?

---

Removal of the inactive head Cyotie911

---

"Discussion on staff positioning. Cyotie911 is a head admin, head admin are in charge of community relations, yet he has not been on minecraft and merely has observed the forums. He is completely out-of-touch with the community and should be ejected as such. Several upper-level staff should also receive this treatment.

Play the game or GTFO the community."

---

Advertising

---

Tending to the issues of vengeance that continue to form. Lets face it, the moment Mrloud15 hid a poll posted on the forums, he immediately set off a chain reaction that is causing this excessive edging on the rules by the community. I'm not asking for an apology, but honestly, this has to stop, and the staff really need to realize that they were the ones in the wrong.

---

"The expansion of nerd.nu - specifically branching out to other games, such as Garry's Mod, Team Fortress 2 and Rust. 

The management of Survival - in particular, we want a very clear outline of what's being done right now and what is to come. 

---

Tending to the issues of vengeance that continue to form. Lets face it, the moment Mrloud15 hid a poll posted on the forums, he immediately set off a chain reaction that is causing this excessive edging on the rules by the community. I'm not asking for an apology, but honestly, this has to stop, and the staff really need to realize that they were the ones in the wrong.

---

What are we doing to expand the community?  Updates on advertising, reddit affiliation, and events.

---

Take time to acknowledge Jchance's great addition of world edit to creative and encourage other server admins to take similar initiative on their servers. The change has ment creative is more vibrant and active now than it has been for the last 2 years.

---

Why drama from a different community is leaking into nerd and preventing me and a few others from playing on S. 

---

"If Nerd runs official non minecraft servers how would the mods, server admins, heads balance of power apply?

---

I would suggest have a new set of server admin/s, so you would hopefully have less server (C,P,S) drama carryover.  "

---

Why the survival admins aren't doing their job and how we can solve it. also why haven't we already

---

- Unban [player]

---

"Whether we can actually run a different game server while falling short on donations to run the Minecraft ones last donation drive, and if we want to add a different game server is S even worth keeping. Last donation drive I don't recall many S players donating, if any.

---

Oh and can we have a plan to not just have S players hijack the meeting again with their massive victim complex? Yes I'm pissed off at S players but they're driving away people due to their ridiculous personal attacks and drama."

---

Lack of transparency and community interaction

---

Stop letting survival players hijack the community. Focus on C, P and other games.

---

keeping [player], and people like [player], out of the community

---

"Games Server (minigames, pvp modes, hunger games, etc.)

---

A more solid leadership structure/ how to make things run more efficiently."

---

"More S admins! S needs an admin that is involved in the PvP aspect of the server. I don't think that any of the current PvP server admins have the experience needed to adjust PvP mechanics and plugins in a way that is fun for players that spend most of the time PvPing. A few good choices would be dizney, djt, rtr69, tornadohorse, or thekingduff. All of the players I've listed are familiar with minecraft PvP and are active in the survival community in game and in mumble. 

Policy change: Over the past year it has seemed like nerd has been getting really uptight about rules and ""community interaction."" I've seen more bans for silly things in the last year than I have in the 4 years that I've been a part of the redditpublic community. Lighten up guys, minecraft is a game. The rules have gotten to a point where new players have to read a long-ass wall of text before they can enjoy the server without worrying about getting banned. Making rules to ensure that no one ever gets offended makes for a shit environment. Users should be able to joke around with their friends and participate in general banter while playing a game without worrying about a 1000+ word community interaction policy or a 30 page rulebook. 

Mumble features: I'd like to see images added back to mumble with a reasonable image size limit. This will fix issues with mumble users crashing due to large images. It would be nice to share quick images with friends and set mumble comments with images.

IRC channels dedicated to improving specific servers. I brought up the idea of using #redditsurvival as a place to discuss survival changes a few weeks ago. An IRC channel like this for each server would be a great way for players and staff to talk about possible ideas for upcoming revisions. I find IRC to be a much better for back and forth conversation than the forums. Forms responses are usually timed far apart and don't often respond to specific questions higher up in the thread.

Games outside of blocks: An update on how we plan to expand our community to include other games would be great.

Cross server clan chat: It would be neat if it were possible to make clanchat work cross server. 

Events! I'd like to see more community wide events like CTF and server events like the old Admin hunts on survival. Events keep things interesting and could help bring in new players. 

Advertising: An update on the financial situation of nerd.nu and plans to advertise our servers.

Survival specific meeting: No one really knows whats going on with S rev 28 planning. It would be nice to have a meeting to discuss the changes for the new rev.

Update on the new website?

---

"I'd like there to be a more centralized place to view all the policies, guidelines, and rules associated with staff and players. I don't think the wiki and the rules are as updated or concise as they need to be. New players might either completely ignore it and build up their knowledge of the server constructively (which risks them breaking a rule and getting banned) or be turned off by perceived hardassness and leave entirely. 

What I suggest is a committee of admins and moderators to revise the rules and better package them for consistency and literacy. 

---

Head Admins are leaders of this 3-part community They should take part in this 3-part community on at least one server to show the community they are interested. They should also refrain from wise ass remarks to community issues.

---

"Accelerate Hopper transfer rate.

For now it is 2x the time from singleplayer. Maybe adjust it to 1.5X the single player speed. It will make a huge difference for some build. "

(Only edits made to the list above were to remove names, homophobic slur, and racial slur.)