Smaller map

CROCKODUCK

So I was gonna put in a suggestion but figured an open dialog would be easier but I wanted to gather the player and Padmin thoughts on possibly shrinking the PVE map... like a lot.  I personally find the current map size insane.  That may seem strange cause the map size has basically always been the same but if you really look at the map development on a carto, its barren.  We just don't have the player count to justify a map the size that we have.  So my personal suggestion is to make the map much much smaller for at least the next rev.  In a way forcing players to build closer together and form closer communities.  Some seem to like the idea and some I'm sure will hate it, now please discuss.  

• Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

I don't mean to kill the discussion by stating this but we are looking at a smaller map for next revision. We've received a lot of feedback across the community but especially in the survey asking for a smaller map next revision. While you've already highlighted some of the important reasons for wanting a smaller map above (having a greater community feel rather than being miles apart), we do also hope that having settlements within a reasonable travel distance from each other, it may further encourage transport networks to be established.

Edited by Barlimore
Included survey url.

Guest Former Staff

We'll most likely release the map sizes in the information post for revision 22 which is quite far into the future. For now, we have some preliminary sizes we're going to be working with, based on the feedback we've had so far (a significant scaleback to the current 81 million block surface area).  We don't have any values set in stone yet though so we'd be interested to see what yourself and others would like to see for future map sizes. We will be querying for this information, as well as other revision 22 related feedback beyond the survey, in our mid-rev feedback topic (likely around the New Year at this pace).

I've dug through our documentation to pull the world sizes that we were able to verify:

<edit - formatting screwed up. I love these forums... getting an image, will re-edit>
<edit2:> Hopefully seeing these sizes might help to make more informed suggestions when it comes to the radius specifics.

BiWB898.png

Edited by Barlimore

For the record, the reason why we had a 6kx6k map for 4 revs in a row is because it worked, and we didn't get complaints. The reason we moved off the insane sizes during 14-15 was due to the barren terrain and lack of player interaction, but now that elytra exist; it solves the problem with the later. I've never felt that map expansions would work quite right on PvE either; it wouldn't be as successful a draw as it is on C.

In short, finding the balance was very difficult during my time.

Personally I enjoy the larger map. With wings travel is fast and easy, and you don't get that much into land disputes (especially now when we had the blank livemap open early on so possible neighbours could be spotted and resolve any possible looming issues).

Guest Former Staff
1 minute ago, Trooprm32 said:

I've never felt that map expansions would work quite right on PvE either; it wouldn't be as successful a draw as it is on C.

Your thoughts here, in particular, are interesting. Speaking for myself at least, I agree with you. Having all of the available map borders from the getgo seems better suited for individuals and settlements to make the full use of the land, where map expansions for us would likely only encourage people to mine within the new borders for the resources, rather than settle there. It would be quite the task to start smaller and limit the variation in biomes too (and get that balance right), particularly if some of the more exotic biomes are just beyond those initial borders.

On 10/24/2017 at 8:31 AM, Zomise said:

Personally I enjoy the larger map. With wings travel is fast and easy, and you don't get that much into land disputes (especially now when we had the blank livemap open early on so possible neighbours could be spotted and resolve any possible looming issues).

That I understand but I'm basing this whole need for a smaller map on the fact that the number one reason players do not stay is that of the serious lack of multiplayer.  As it stands right now a new player could come out of spawn and walk for thousands of blocks before finding more than one house.  It just doesn't make any sense why we have an average of maybe 40 players most nights but have a map size of 9000 x 9000 is truly mad.  I know for a fact it would increase the multiplayer experience tenfold if we started with maybe say a 2500x2500 map or so and expanded it based on demand from there.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CROCKODUCK said:

That I understand but I'm basing this whole need for a smaller map on the fact that the number one reason players do not stay is that of the serious lack of multiplayer.  As it stands right now a new player could come out of spawn and walk for thousands of blocks before finding more than one house.  It just doesn't make any sense why we have an average of maybe 40 players most nights but have a map size of 9000 x 9000 is truly mad.  I know for a fact it would increase the multiplayer experience tenfold if we started with maybe say a 2500x2500 map or so and expanded it based on demand from there.

In parts I do agree with that. Having a city and/or UMC right outside spawn surely gives the impression of a more lively server for newcomers. I do remember myself trying to desperately get out of built area and it felt like it was just more town after another. It's much of a trade off I guess. That cities choose to go far out of the spawn when it's possible tells its own tale that regular players enjoy the given space. If time would permit, I'd love to help setup UMC right at spawn again with big builds and townlike feeling, but there's always so much to do that UMC is pretty much a whole rev commitment not leaving much time for other things.

As long as new players communicate in chat or check the livemap they'll soon realise it's very much not an empty world though.