Survival (1.7) Rev 23 Terrain Poll

Mrloud15

47 members have voted

1. 1. What terrain should rev 23 have?

• Default Biomes
    • Amplified Biomes
    • Large Biomes
    • A map with both, Default and Amplified Biomes (Yes it can be done)

I wouldn't mind large biomes, but I voted for default biomes just because I'd rather ANYTHING but amplified biomes.  They would make pvping next to impossible (without falling to your death from a knockback sword), would make very large bases / builds impractical, and exploring a pain in the ass.  Not to mention ruining mob grinders with their massive mob-spawning shaded-areas.

• Upvote 4

Honestly, you just have to be careful and look carefully for places to build on amplified. I think that the amplified terrain adds some real flavor to pvp and coerces you into making difficult decisions. If we have a map that mixes the two that's perfect and you'll be able to find me in the amplified mesa.

• Upvote 2

Have you played on the amplified 1.7 chaos map, iamdarb?  Amplified terrain looks really cool, but not being able to move gets old FAST.   It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Here's the issue with the mixed default/amplified terrain.  There are three general types of builders on Survival.  The first type builds a small base to store all their loot.  The second type builds a larger base, more elaborate, maybe with a bunch of traps.

The third type build the gigantic projects.  These can involve many different players, and can take most of the revision to build.  After the first 2-3 weeks of the server, these builds are the main centers of activity on survival, whether people are building them or raiding them.  There is no room for these builds near spawn, as they usually don't get started until a week or two into the revision, and can be 200+ blocks in diameter.

An amplified terrain, even a mix of default and amplified terrain makes these builds nearly impossible.

Edit:  Can we get a clarification regarding how far out amplified biomes would start?

Edited by roastnewt
  • Upvote 3

Posting this edit as a comment so people will see it.

Edit part 2: The Default and Amplified Biomes would be setup so there would be a circle with a radius of 1,000 block of default terrain and then amplified the rest of the way.

Darker green would be amplified, and the lighter green would be default.

PBCsfaF.jpg?1  

Posting this edit as a comment so people will see it.

Edit part 2: The Default and Amplified Biomes would be setup so there would be a circle with a radius of 1,000 block of default terrain and then amplified the rest of the way.

Darker green would be amplified, and the lighter green would be default.

So basically default terrain would be a little less than 20% of the map, and amplified would be more than 80%?

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure why I did not realize that before. If we do the default and amplified biomes we would make sure they are divided more equally. 

If you did the radius of the circle just 500 under the map size you should come nearly to 50%.  It would actually be cool as it would basically be a wall that surrounded the map!

If you did the radius of the circle just 500 under the map size you should come nearly to 50%.  It would actually be cool as it would basically be a wall that surrounded the map!

This is why I think a default/amplified map would be cool.  I think the default should be weighted more though.  80/20 maybe, but that basically requires the circle to have radius 2000 blocks.

To work out the % default, use this, just change the 0.8 to the % you want (so 0.4 for 40%).  That'll tell you the inner circle radius you need for that %.