New PVE player in just before new rev

TimTom80

I just started PVE last night and learned the rev is ending soon.  I'd like to see what is around, but ... am lost.  I stumbled into the underground water way in a mine.  Is that a viable way to get around?  I'm also a relative n00b to minecraft.  My 6 year old son got me into it after playing creative on xbox (my previous history with minecraft consists of me glancing at a demo a while back and wondering wtf was going on).  I got it on PC a few weeks ago, and have been playing solo for a while.  I haven't experimented much with rails outside of simple "roller coasters" with my son on the xbox version.

I guess what I'm asking is for the high points I should check out, maybe?  I'd like to learn as much as possible about the current world as well as the community in general to be ready for when the new rev starts.

EDIT: How similar is the rail system in previous revs compared to this one?  I could download an old backup and load it in creative and look around at things if it's comparable.  

Edited by TimTom80
  • Upvote 2

Welcome! Its always wonderful to see new players!  :smile: 

PvE runs on revisions (as do our other servers), and revisions are basically maps. Each revision (map) is reset after a certain amount of time (typically several months). You happened to join when player count is the lowest but when things are also vastly complete. There are a few options that you can take to explore the map, I've listed them below:

Rails

We run a vast rail network called CARBON that allows you to travel to a large variety of places from anywhere on the map using redstone. Most major towns have a CARBON station that you can find. Once you find the station simply hit a button that is labeled and you will be sent on your way. Once you get to your destination walk around and explore. When your done head back to the CARBON station and hit a new button to a new place! This will take you to the most of the major towns and builds on the server.

Note: There is a main spawn CARBON station on the North side of the spawn building just down the spawn hill.

Some towns and places however do not have CARBON and you will need to either walk or take CARTS to get to them. CARTS is another system that we use but you can not get anywhere on the map with it. It will take you from point A to point B and then from point B to point A. It is basically a direct line from one place to another. It will only go places where a direct line is built.

Maps

We have a few maps that you can check out that are available about 2-3 weeks after a revision starts. If you want to walk around and explore your best bet is to use the livemap and places (more info below).

http://nerd.nu/maps/pve/

We also have a live map that shows all players online and where they are at, as well as live block placement. You can show yourself by typing "/dynmap show" in chat when on the server. The map can be found here:

http://nerd.nu/maps/pve/live/

/place

We run a custom command called "/place" that you can use to find all the major places and builds. To use it simply type "/place" to see all the places available and then "/place name" to be turned in the direction of the build and given the coordinates for it. You can also view /places on the live map. To show places on the livemap firstly open the livemap. Then in the top left corner below the + and - there are 3 squares that are somewhat stacked on each other. Hover over that button and then click the checkmark called "Places".

Other useful stuff

Most towns/places have the general supplies that you will need (food, minecarts, ETC.) however if you are having trouble finding any of these there is a large public farm on the South side of spawn that offers a large variety of different crops. There is also a minecart dispenser on the South and North sides of spawn.

If you are unfamiliar with the basic core gameplay of minecraft I suggest playing more singleplayer to help get you started but sometimes just jumping straight in is also a good idea!

If there is anything regarding core gameplay you are unsure about you can check out the minecraft wiki here:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft_Wiki

If there is anything that you may need to help you simply ask in chat. There is usually always someone on that will be willing to help you. You can also post any other questions that you may have in this topic and I or someone else will gladly answer them for you.

• Upvote 7

one small word of warning on bringing in the old maps locally though - while a blast to see what's been done Pre-You (i've got a couple locally that are fun to go see what happened), keep in mind that there are certain server rules/functions that if not in place can lend to some "interesting" gaps in environment and/or danger level (specifically things like fire spread,water/lava flow, snow/ice melt, etc.. )

i made that mistake the first time and found several towns to be on fire by the time i visited them, heh :)   welcome to the server!

• Upvote 1