[AC] Streamlining the Admin Process

TheRandomnatrix

This is more of an informative post rather than a discussion, in response to one of the questions MrLoud posted on the general meetings for how to speed up the process of staff duties.

Basically what the PAdmins have recently started trying out is logging every individual encounter we have on the servers that asks questions of policy or server management, and sort them by date. This all goes onto a google docs that we can all access. For example, if a player brings up concerns over how land claims are handled, we log the general gist of the discussion between that player and the points brought up, then we all comment on how we feel it should be handled below the log entry. Our comments are all color coded per individual to allow easy distinction. 

Then, we have a second voting speadsheet where we list every topic we feel needs to be voted on. Each admin colors the cell background under their name for a particular topic, usually either green or red(yes/no) to represent a vote. Additional info is added via notes appended to that cell to further elaborate. This allows us to quickly gain understanding on how everyone feels on a topic in order to reach consensus and decide what to do. We have a cell on the end of each row for the final decision taken and a link to a public announcement of that decision, if any.

We further combine this with discussion ingame and on mumble to help iron out ideas.

Ultimately, this both speeds up the process of deciding policy changes as well as keeping everything organized and logged for future reference. We've already been using it to great effect, and I thought it'd be a good idea to share this process with the other admins should they choose to use something similar.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a great process. Wouldn't mind seeing the document and voting spreadsheet if that's possible. Or maybe just a mockup if there is sensitive information or something on them.

In the interest of keeping things private between the PAdmins I won't share them at this time, however I prepared a lorem ipsum version of the PAdmin log, and an example of the voting log. I hope they serve to illustrate what's happening.

Honestly i can't make heads nor tails out of the padmin log, What are you even talking about? and the voting log seems like you are voting on stuff unrelated to minecraft(although clearly very important)

All in all seems like a couple exercises in futility. :D

On a more serious note, it seems like a cool idea and a way to streamline information so i don't have to scroll through pages and pages of IRC logs to see a concise summary of other admin's thoughts. Thanks for posting this idea and the examples

• 7 months later...