Ridiculous_Face [buzzie71]

Ridiculous

• "No killing or trapping other players in any manner except in clearly marked PVP arenas." 

Obviously it was me and my flint and steel that caused the unfortunate death, but the whole situation is more complex than it seems.

1.) The player who died started setting the fires and then the two of us were goofing around, maybe with the intent to do damage, but not to kill. He had armor as well so I didn't consider it a possibility.

2.) Anyway, after his surprise death he obviously wanted his diamonds back which I complied with, but in thinking the situation was pretty funny decided to tease him by holding out on the rest of the gear.

3.) At which point a mod in the mumble channel told me to give it back or get in trouble, but that was right before a restart and the player in question didn't come back on. 

4.) I messaged the player on mumble and also an admin, but got no reply. So I chested the remaining gear. 

5.) All was quiet for like two weeks and now this

This was all the way back in Feb, around the 20th maybe?

Ban Information:

Ban for Ridiculous_Face on c.nerd.nu for Indirect PvP (fire) outside arenas on P nerd.nu/appeal by buzzie71 on 2015-03-06T02:52:14.764 (no more bans, 4 notes)

Please be patient in the time it takes for buzzie71 to respond.  In the event that the banning staff member does not respond to this appeal within 48 hours, feel free to B.U.M.P (bring up my post) your post here on the forums.

Hello Ridiculous - just to keep you informed about this ban while it is being looked into:

A modreq was made about the death by fire - upon examination of the death points (two were found), your fire placements were discovered.  Some fire placed closest to the death points were placed within 15 seconds before the death, suggesting an intent to kill.  The ban itself was issued late while I sought review of the evidence from other Padmins.  (This was the line of reasoning before your appeal; see last part.)

http://i.imgur.com/RAXhXJF.png

http://i.imgur.com/bXd8bwy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/W3PwtV4.png <- contains coordinate locations of death by fire; first two are in the vicinity of death number 2; last three are in the vicinity of death number 1

http://i.imgur.com/0IRXI96.png

http://i.imgur.com/vCHtTKE.jpg

Standard ban length for unconsented PvP outside arenas on P is one month, so this ban would normally expire on April 6.  However, given your appeal and the circumstances of this ban, that may change; I will get back to this appeal with a date once I've checked some more things.

"Some fire placed closest to the death points were placed within 15 seconds before the death, suggesting an intent to kill."

1.) If you look again at the logs it should be pretty clear that I was spamming fire everywhere before and after the incident. I made a lot of flint and steel that day.

2.) I remember that the other player was doing the same. There was no indication during the messing about that he wanted to stop or that his health was too low for such dangerous activities. The modreq was a knee jerk reaction to me not giving all the gear back at once.

3.) I may have behaved recklessly, but I'm not lying about the intent to kill and when I say that it was mostly accidental it doesn't mean I'm not accepting responsibility for the outcome.  

You can rightly say that it still shouldn't have happened, but shit happens when you're goofing around and haven't picked up the mindset of a regular player yet. A months ban would be rather inflexible.

Apologies for the long wait; over the past week I took a look again at the points you've raised and checked them against what is shown in the logs:

- Upon re-examination of the fire edits in the vicinity, only three fires were placed by Ridiculous_Face before the first deathpoint.

Significantly more were placed by Storm_Splurge_2 minutes prior.

Given the patterns of fire placement it is feasible that both were lighting fires in an attempt to damage each other (at worst), and this therefore can be seen as implicit consent by both players to take part.

- Examination of the second deathpoint shows that it occurred 12 seconds after the most recent fire placement in the vicinity.  The pattern of fire placement does not strongly suggest an intention to damage players as opposed to the above.

In light of what has been presented and corroborated, there is insufficient evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that unconsented PvP had taken place, and thus it will be immediately lifted.  

Note that you are expected to follow the rules on the server when you are on it.  If you are goofing off and playing with fire with other players, recognize that this is a line you tread at your own risk.  

You are now unbanned.  Welcome back, be careful, and play well :D