[AC] Naked Pictures

Had to get your attention.

Relaying a message from Redwall in IRC earlier for visibility.

[11:06:22] <redwall_hp> padmins, cadmins, eadmins, headadmins Advisory: if you use any third party Minecraft launchers or modpacks (e.g. Technic), you should probably change your password and cease using it. We've noticed a few present and past Nerd.nu players in alt lists of compromised accounts lately. Please pass this on to other admins in your group to be sure they see this.
[11:07:01] <Silversunset> ;_;
[11:07:18] <c45y> q_q
[11:10:07] <Silversunset> How does that work?
[11:10:52] <Silversunset> redwall_hp ^
[11:11:30] <redwall_hp> If you input your credentials into a third party launcher, if they're shady they could steal it right then. If you're running a modpack with untrusted mods or mods packed by someone, there are basically endless ways they can poke around with things while they're running.
[11:12:07] <Silversunset> Ahh so you suspect the mod or launcher is giving away info
[11:12:08] <redwall_hp> Untrusted software is untrusted software, basically.

ಠ_ಠ I have been deceived.

I've always knew those launchers were fishy as heck. Thankfully I don't think many  C players use them.

Lots of it's probably for utilities you need for PvE , I know you've probably informed most Rose members by now

who use Technic and modpacks quite often ( I know this because they constantly tried to convince me to use them )

I'm not sure about the rest of the cities, but at least now everyone knows the dangers.

Thanks for the update though, i'll advise against it next time someone mentions they use it.

RIP the super spicy drama that was never real.

Deaygo did some digging into IP addresses and asked into some usage habits. Looks like it's mostly a convergence of VPNs. Some players have used popular VPNs/proxies, which the spam bots' accounts have also used at one point or another, so they all get associated into a big pile o' alts. So while this was probably a false alarm, good password security is never misplaced, and it always pays off to be safe.

As for third party launchers, same deal. While there wasn't an issue in this case, and Technic or FTB probably don't steal your passwords, you only really have their word that they don't. If they wanted to, it would be trivial. So use at your own risk.