Is PvE dead?

Dude_Ultamat

I'v noticed that the PvE server is feeling quite abandoned. I know that for a lot of users, my self included, are starting school again and that makes it difficult to find time to play. My point is why do this if only to check and see what the people think. It may not be the best time to start rev 12, but if the servers live on numbers a peak of 13 players is a good enough reason to restart for me.

In addition the abandon cities that people took the effort to make just seem to be a waste of space and resources. If there is a way to re-purpose these buildings, it would be fantastic. For example, a player is off line for 2 or 3 months and their house has been completed and all project closed. Wouldn't it be fair to take down their now waste of space and give the supplies to newer and more active players?

Just some thoughts I've had for a while.

• Upvote 2

I just recently discovered the PvE server via a friend. I've been building a massive underground complex near Sealab 2020, I'm on there almost every day.

I tend to stick close to Endor, mostly because I don't know my way around and I don't want to get lost. I've been grinding in the nether lately. My MC name is the same as my screen name here.

It does seem a bit empty most of the time, but I'm cool with that. It's like I'm playing a massive single player game, lol!

I know the server's getting wiped soon so that we can all start over. Until that happens, I agree that structures built by players that haven't been online in months should be re-purposed. Even if it was as simple as removing the locks from their chests  >: )

Edited by WKONEDERFUL
  • Upvote 1

In addition the abandon cities that people took the effort to make just seem to be a waste of space and resources. If there is a way to re-purpose these buildings, it would be fantastic. For example, a player is off line for 2 or 3 months and their house has been completed and all project closed. Wouldn't it be fair to take down their now waste of space and give the supplies to newer and more active players?

I think this is a terrible idea. There are many players that come on during the start of a new rev to build fantastic things for the first few weeks and then drop off the face of the earth for most of the rev. It'd be terrible for those players to come online to find all their items and builds gone just because their town was abandoned.

Removing abandoned builds that are clearly low-effort is already a delicate process that requires admin involvement. Doing the same on the scale of a town would be impossible.

• Upvote 9

I don't think removing the builds is what he's talking about. Merely unlocking them so they can be cannibalized by other more active players who could better use the resources contained therein.

Exactly what I'm going for. Newer players would love the chance to run into an abandoned plot and ransack the chests, maybe even get ideas from the architecture. 

• Upvote 1

That's the same thing as griefing, WKON. There's loads of space left on the map, at least in the areas I roam. There should never be a need to use someone else's hard-earned resources.

I understand, but if said "someone else" hasn't been on the server in say, 6 months then should they be able to maintain claim to their build?

• Upvote 1

I understand, but if said "someone else" hasn't been on the server in say, 6 months then should they be able to maintain claim to their build?

Yes. They built it.

How would you feel if you worked hard on building something and came back a few months later and it's gone because "you weren't active enough?" The great thing about these servers is that they don't require anything from the players in order to play. No donations, no mods, texture packs, etc. But they also don't require you to stay active consistently as a condition to keep your builds around. Once you've built something, it's there to stay until you tear it down.

• Upvote 9

Don't forget, all builds are also archived for posterity, as each rev is uploaded to mcp-dl.com for retrieval by players later. If you destroy someone's build, they won't be able to find it in the archives either. I sort of want to look back on my builds at a later date, even if I tend not to build as much anymore (waiting for new rev, that is).

• Upvote 5

Chill the fuck out. The new S rev just started - everyone's chillbanging there for a bit. Then, after a month or so; PvE will be back to normal. You can be assured that all the PvE players on S will flock back to P when the new P rev starts.

• Upvote 2

Chill the fuck out. The new S rev just started - everyone's chillbanging there for a bit. Then, after a month or so; PvE will be back to normal. You can be assured that all the PvE players on S will flock back to P when the new P rev starts.

^ Even some PAdmins come on to S to check out the new map and play for a bit. Don't worry, P isn't dead and isn't going to be dead anytime soon, P is usually the server with the most people on it anyway.

• Upvote 1

Yes. They built it.

How would you feel if you worked hard on building something and came back a few months later and it's gone because "you weren't active enough?" The great thing about these servers is that they don't require anything from the players in order to play. No donations, no mods, texture packs, etc. But they also don't require you to stay active consistently as a condition to keep your builds around. Once you've built something, it's there to stay until you tear it down.

I understand. I still think there should be a cutoff of claim depending on how long someone has been logged off, but it's not my server.

I understand. I still think there should be a cutoff of claim depending on how long someone has been logged off, but it's not my server.

I wouldn't put this into S or P or C. Perhaps if a new server was created (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) this rule would be appropriate for it, if the rules were different on said server and such things were appropriated due to the theme.