[PMC] Hopper exploit

uni0

I was contacted by Beastbruiser who was kind enough to let me know about an exploit with using hopper+carts to steal chest contents. The 'exploit' works with by using a dispenser to make a minecart with hopper that outputs to a rail. Then the minecart-hopper goes below chest bypassing any LWC on chest which lets player steal contents.

Prompt response to this would be appreciated.

• Upvote 4

The player would be permanently banned for bypassing LWC (outlined in the rules) I'm not sure about the chest contents though, this definitely needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

"No attempts to circumvent any protections on the server, including but not limited to the server script, LWC(Chest protection) and WorldGuard(Block protection). Attempts to do so without permission will result in a ban without appeal."

• Upvote 1

I hope i'm understanding it right, but would disabling hopper minecarts be a good, at least quick, solution to this?

I know that we can also track dispenser and rail edits made near chests suspected to have had the loot stolen from, and ban on instances of that under the rule that Vortex has highlighted, for anything that crops up in the meantime.

I hope i'm understanding it right, but would disabling hopper minecarts be a good, at least quick, solution to this?

Banning hopper carts wouldn't even take much from the game imo. You can do almost the same exact thing with hoppers feeding into chest carts, and that approach is much more friendly to our current setup of hopper placement. I don't know how feasible this is from a tech standpoint however.

Banning hopper carts wouldn't even take much from the game imo. You can do almost the same exact thing with hoppers feeding into chest carts, and that approach is much more friendly to our current setup of hopper placement. I don't know how feasible this is from a tech standpoint however.

I imagine it should be pretty easy to ban placement of hopper carts (I know TNT carts are currently banned on C, P and S as well maybe?), but the challenge would then be to block attempts to force-place them using dispensers.

I know that we can also track dispenser and rail edits made near chests suspected to have had the loot stolen from, and ban on instances of that under the rule that Vortex has highlighted, for anything that crops up in the meantime.

Hopper minecarts are already disabled in the sense they can't be crafted normally. The workaround is assembling them with the dispenser. Perhaps banning dispensers, ie making them mod-placeable only would be a temp/quick solution until something better can be done?

Hopper minecarts are already disabled in the sense they can't be crafted normally. The workaround is assembling them with the dispenser. Perhaps banning dispensers, ie making them mod-placeable only would be a temp/quick solution until something better can be done?

I think that would cause more problems than need be. Currently, only a few people know about this exploit. If word gets out and we need a quick and dirty solution, sure, but right now it's not a problem that needs an immediate and drastic course of action imo. 

Edit: Although I suppose it's better safe than sorry.

• Upvote 1

I didn't realise they were being crafted like that, that does make quite the difference :/ 

I see in looking up the issue on the LWC github that it's been reported with apparently no answer yet, and that ticket also describes an exploit using hoppers and trapped chests too, which is a bit worrying as well. I know we made some changes to LWC of some kind upon the 1.5/1.5.1 update - are any of the tech admins able to comment whether we have something in place that would prevent the latter from occurring?

Providing there's no better alternative, I can see us being able to make dispensers mod-placeable similar to how we handled sticky pistons a while back. It's tedious, but I think people would rather see their chest contents kept safe and have to wait a while for a dispenser or two to be put down than suffer the consequences otherwise.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this as i've received mention of the fact that this is still possible on other servers, and there was no conclusion made to this thread in particular, so I can only assume that such is the case for ours as well. Could any of the tech admins weigh in on what would be a suitable solution to this issue?