Hearts For the Heartless

PvtSnowball

Ok so while playing on the server today I thought that if when we hit a mob there hearts should be displayed over there heads  for use to see. I have no clue if possible but, thought it would be helpful. Also, for those that say that not vanilla I like to just point out have glow in over not vilnilla and having dopplegangers is the same thing. So my thought was give the heartless, heart for a change.

• Upvote 1

After reading this a few times, are you basically saying you want mobs to have their health displayed above them? Or are you implying mobs should have feelings? If I was right about the first one, there are certain mods that allow for this, but I am very sure they give an advantage over other players so obviously they are currently banned unless the PAdmins say otherwise.

• Upvote 1

I'd be against it for S, however I can't say for PvE as I rarely play there. My reasons against having it for S is because it's the Survival server. It shouldn't be so easy to kill mobs, we need proper challenges around every nook and cranny of the map. We should be pressed to using basic skills in order to get anywhere. I myself have grown accustomed to counting the amount of hits it'll take to kill a mob. When fighting a horde of Spiders, I keep track of the ones with higher health than the others, and I often target the ones with lower health. Same goes for Pigs, Zombies, Skeletons, even Endermen. It's just one of those little details that makes us feel like we're being challenged in every way possible, and in all honesty that's the way it should be - it's the Survival server.

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 2

Gameplay implications aside, I don't see how this would be possible in the suggested form without a client-side mod, since things like UIs and gamertags are handled by the client.  Some possible workarounds might be having the server generate an entity over each mob's head that uses existing textures, but that would effectively double the number of mob entities the server has to handle--bad idea.  Another option might be to use the name tag function and display the health as a percent, but that would only work when looking right at the mob at close range, it would be broken by actually naming any mobs, and of course I don't know what kind of server load it would be to change a mob's name to match the health stat every time it takes damage.

I actually once moderated a server with a plugin that did just this. The health bars showed (with the plugin we used, this is) only after a mob was hit. It's a nice little tool but really, really doesn't have a place in nerd.nu. It's the exact thing that gives off the impression of a modded server. 

• Upvote 3

Yea, there are at least 4 or 5 plugins that do it with no mod required eliminating the some players having advantages over others thing, and as far as I remember on a couple of em, distance wasn't an issue. But of course, whether it's good for here is up for debate.