[AC] Mark2 IRC Relay

redwall_hp

Remember that nifty little bot called IAmARelayBotAMA? The one that relayed in-game chat from the servers to the #redditmc-s, #redditmc-p and #redditmc-c, IRC channels? After its untimely demise (due to Minecraft 1.7 and BungeeCord), we lost this useful feature. (It's great for getting IRC pings when you or another keyword are mentioned in-game.)

As it turns out, the server wrapper we use (Mark2) has a feature that can handle this in a more elegant manner. This came up in an IRC conversation awhile back, and it was discussed a little. It would work in the same manner: in-game public chat would be sent to an IRC channel (though the reverse would not be allowed, for obvious reasons).

Denevien mentioned to me last night that the techs have tested this, and that all we need to go ahead is for the server admins to agree on it. Which is why I'm starting this thread. I already talked it over with Mrloud and Mumberthrax, and they're okay with it, so I'd like to get the padmins' and cadmins' opinions on the matter.

Yeah, we actually had the mark2 IRC relay tested and working, on a nerd.nu hosted IRC server even.  Worked pretty well, had some nice features, and I know smiler and slide spent some time getting the config going for colors, formatting, and the like.

mark2 is EOL though, so I'm not sure how much we should be investing into it. I'd hate to get it all set up and working but then have to take it down a few weeks or months later once we have to use something else.

The post I linked from nearly 4 months ago mentions mark4 was "finally getting code written". Haven't seen it in the time since though, even though "first alphas" were mentioned as tenative December/January but I'm not sure if those were intended to be public anyway.

Might we want to ping barney about it?

The post I linked from nearly 4 months ago mentions mark4 was "finally getting code written". Haven't seen it in the time since though, even though "first alphas" were mentioned as tenative December/January but I'm not sure if those were intended to be public anyway.

Might we want to ping barney about it?

He said a few weeks back in IRC that it'd be at least until summer. Not sure where he stands with it now.

<Denevien> [22:52:29] edk, did I hear talk of you making a new MC wrapper?

<edk> [02:48:43] Denevien, barney and I are doing a bit of work on it, but progress isn't very quick. I don't think either of us has much time

So, no real idea when it would be released, but later in the convo, he said when it is ready, it will have IRC support. I guess we will just have to reban Barneygale so that he has time to work on it :D.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Bringing this one back from the dead as well. As noted previously we have this pretty much completely working, so if there aren't any objections I wouldn't mind getting this one running this weekend as well as modlogs. mark2 is still working fine, despite being EOL, and I don't really see any harm in setting this up.

Awesome smiler, thanks. And I thought the way slide had it set up on a nerd.nu IRC server worked really well the last time we tested it, so many things more in our control doing it that way.

Personally, I think that it would be best to keep it on GameSurge, at least for the time being. I think that we'd get more than enough control for the relay on there, despite the netsplits. In my opinion, running our own IRC server just for the relay is more trouble than it's worth.

slide would know for sure, but if I'm remembering correctly I think one of the main reasons for it was the regular kicks for flooding on gamesurge, especially on restarts with all the disconnects and joins. If that's not an issue then yeah, you're right about it being one less thing to have to worry about keeping running on our end.

• 9 months later...