[PMC] World Edit Policies

XkinOEC

Obviously with change comes unforeseen consequences even after the most thorough of testing. 

This thread will be dedicated to any and all suggested policy changes that staff notice relating to World Edit on creative.

This will be for ALL discussions, so for sake of organization, please respond with  

"

• name of topic at hand

at the top of your post to keep this thread organized. 

Policy for discussion:

• Region Size

Currently a player claims a 700 x 475 region. This region is quite large and has a large number of repeated buildings inside of it. 

Our current policy doesn't quite dictate what to do about this. It is not yet a problem, but may soon become one if the player asks for more space, here we will discuss our ideas and suggestions about the topic. 

• Region Size

My suggestion towards this would be:

1. a set maximum region start size.
  2. If a player wants more, they may request more pending staff discretion.
  3. If a player anticipates that they will need land  larger than our initial max size, they must submit a short report/discussion with a staff member as to what they plan to do and why they need this to be protected immediately.

For clause 3, I will use NEVAstop's spleef for example. It is quite a large build, and would use more room than we would ever initially hand to a player in the past, and possibly into the future as well. However it would be tragic if we made him work on it in a tiny 50x50 block area to start meanwhile another user comes up right besides it and builds a city of sorts right in the middle of the planned playing floor area. If he weren't already a moderator, he would have to submit a report to have a region created to this size.

Also on clause 3 but also clause 2, we may want to consider just cadmin+ being allowed to make these decisions, this will provide consistency of allowance. This way moderators who have difference senses of "big" or are from P or S generally and feel big is a completely different size than the general C moderator can all deal with the problem in the same way. 

Another clause would be how strictly we would follow my previous clause. We will not limit moderators ability to expand the regions beyond that simply due to the stupid logic of tiny expansion, and admin workload. Obviously a moderator should be able to expand a max sized region by 5 blocks if the player requests. There are times where it would seem absolutely absurd to wait on an admin for a job that a moderator is capable of doing. not to mention moderators may need to protect builds larger than the max size after they are built regardless. 

• Upvote 1

• Region Size

I'd just like to throw out that we should keep region sizes, for the purpose of discussion and policy, simple.

For example, if we're going to set a region size limit it should be something that moderators can quickly grasp and calculate in their head, even with no experience (like for mods that are primarily from S and P) - something like "X + Y = 300 or less" meaning a 150x150 region, 100x200 region, 50x250 region,etc.

I understand those are all different sized regions, but even with such an open policy that is easy for players and mods to understand you can never get more than 22,500 sq/m to start.

• Upvote 3

• Region Size

Heh, you beat me to the punch while I was typing my post. Agreed with all your points, and definitely believe it should be cadmin review for these requests in the interest of consistency in a fast-developing policy.

Hah same. I agree with everything nickeox has said, but I have some points I'd like to add:

1: Maximum region size should not apply to anything built by hand that exceeds whatever the size is set to. However, players can not exceed region size by making small builds along the edge of a region and leaving the middle empty. 

2: Maximum region size will be determined by side length. No side shall exceed n blocks. Exceptions for long and narrow regions, such as roads and minecart rails.

3: Cadmins may not approve their own regions for exceeding region size. For example, jchance would have to ask LetsBFehr, Marting, or me if he wanted a large region.

I think to help keep things simple, the maximum region size should be large enough that you can't see a corner from the opposite corner. If you can, then no need to worry. If not, then you'd have to check.

• Region Size

3: Cadmins may not approve their own regions for exceeding region size. For example, jchance would have to ask LetsBFehr, Marting, or me if he wanted a large region.

While there may be room for abuse, I don't think we should be this strict on it, Moderators and admin are already staff we have entrusted permissions on the server with, I believe staff should be entitled to exceed this if they choose since they are likely to stick around and use the space wisely. Again I bring NEVAstop's spleef for example. Old rules do dictate he should have not been given the space for spleef... but had he not protected it then and there, someone would have built a derptown in the middle of the playing field area before he could build it. The old outline method that we gave players was a complete train-wreck... Ironically enough mostly used by the same player with the large portion of land. But suddenly a player would build on the other size of a claimed hill, regardless how nice or fit to the area their build is, we would remove it because the claiming player marked it but we didn't protect it. But once again I got off topic... If we trust them to be a moderator, we should trust them to manage their space on C properly, even if it is beyond the region size. While I am aware it creates a separation between player and staff rank, it's really just cutting out the middleman of contacting a cadmin. I feel if it becomes abusive, we can tend to it when it does, since we will likely all be on the same level about this problem.

But in a nutshell, regardless, this policy change should not be effecting anything in the configuration of the server, only how staff handle it. 

I think to help keep things simple, the maximum region size should be large enough that you can't see a corner from the opposite corner. If you can, then no need to worry. If not, then you'd have to check.

Too up for interpretation, I recall Marting11 saying he uses a toaster for a computer at some point, render distance for him may be quite different than Jchance on his State-of-the-art Microwave Oven with convection fan and popcorn button. Suddenly Marting11 is giving players 50x50 plots, while jchance is giving out 150x150 plots.

• Region Size

While there may be room for abuse, I don't think we should be this strict on it, Moderators and admin are already staff we have entrusted permissions on the server with, I believe staff should be entitled to exceed this if they choose since they are likely to stick around and use the space wisely. Again I bring NEVAstop's spleef for example. Old rules do dictate he should have not been given the space for spleef... but had he not protected it then and there, someone would have built a derptown in the middle of the playing field area before he could build it. The old outline method that we gave players was a complete train-wreck... Ironically enough mostly used by the same player with the large portion of land. But suddenly a player would build on the other size of a claimed hill, regardless how nice or fit to the area their build is, we would remove it because the claiming player marked it but we didn't protect it. But once again I got off topic... If we trust them to be a moderator, we should trust them to manage their space on C properly, even if it is beyond the region size. While I am aware it creates a separation between player and staff rank, it's really just cutting out the middleman of contacting a cadmin. I feel if it becomes abusive, we can tend to it when it does, since we will likely all be on the same level about this problem.

But in a nutshell, regardless, this policy change should not be effecting anything in the configuration of the server, only how staff handle it. 

Saying this to avoid accusations of bias and because other servers have also adopted similar policy. Only applying this rule to regions that exceed the size limit, so staff can still make smaller regions for themselves.

Too up for interpretation, I recall Marting11 saying he uses a toaster for a computer at some point, render distance for him may be quite different than Jchance on his State-of-the-art Microwave Oven with convection fan and popcorn button. Suddenly Marting11 is giving players 50x50 plots, while jchance is giving out 150x150 plots.

I didn't mean to set the render distance as maximum block size, just set it large enough that anyone can use the render distance as a shortcut for determining if small to medium-large regions aren't too big. If the region exceeds render distance, the mod would then have to go and manually check the longest side. Suggested this more for convenience. 

Also, I'm thinking that the limit should be set pretty high, so it will mostly just be cities that have to ask for larger regions.

Edit 11-29-14: Forget the render distance thing. I was overthinking things a bit at the time :P