[AC] Command Blocks on Creative

SirTacoface

This idea was mentioned here before, and I would like to post an updated/refreshed post about the implementation of Command Blocks on Creative. I have talked with Dumbo52 and he said he has made a plugin that allows Command Blocks to be placed by only Admins.

Sadly, I don't know too much about Command Blocks, but I know the basics and I've been watching videos and reading things about them. I want this post to perhaps be a brainstorming thread and an update/information thread.

I already went through the /setblock command (the only command that seems to work right now on /server creative-dev) and went through and tried every block referenced on this page. 

Here is a copy of the "notes." The reason why I say "notes" is because it's a list of all the blocks that seemed to work. I also added little notes on the blocks that may perhaps cause problems like a tool for griefing and such. Slide mentioned that with /setblock, LogBlock won't be able to see who placed it, so that may be a problem. However, Dumbo said he will try to make it like WE, where command blocks could be "binded" to a region so if someone were to grief, the mods/admins can figure out who did it with logic reasoning.

Now based off of my knowledge of Command Blocks, I would like to say:

I feel like /effects won't have any issues. All effects are practically from potions and nothing should be harmful.

/say shouldn't be too spammy, we have a flag for it amongst the region flags, so there shouldn't be any much difference there.

/setblock, as mentioned above, should be okay, just like Dumbo told me, people will always find a way around it, but if that happens, admin discretion would be the best tool there.

Now I understand there are much more possibilities and this is where you come in, I want to make this happen, even if it will be a while, since I know it's fairly difficult, but we can pull it off.

If there's anything I left out or anything I am wrong on, please correct me. If there's anything you would like to add, please do, I need as much feedback on this as possible.

So command blocks would be placed by admins, programmed by admins, and then players would be allowed to activate them with redstone at their leisure?

Or command blocks would be placed by admins, programmed by players, and they could activate them at their leisure?

I think some seriously careful permissions stuff would need to be done here. Command blocks have the same powers as the console, effectively OP as far as I am aware.

With redstone clocks they could cause some major spam or even lag issues beyond just what normal redstone can do.

First thing that comes to mind is a setblock command that creates more command blocks with commands in them.

I've messed around a little bit with /setblock for creating custom monster spawners - it is inCREDibly easy to crash the server by entering the tiniest thing incorrectly - that is without any kind of clocks or anything, just running a command with the syntax off a tiny bit.

This is something that should not be rushed out without careful testing. Should be approached with caution.

What is it that players would like to be able to do with command blocks specifically? Do they want to be able to have the kinds of games and things that sethbling does in his videos? While those are neat, many of his command block builds use very rapid clocks that if used excessively could potentially cause lag issues. Do they want to be able to have pressure plates that teleport players or do things that easy signs can do? If we know what use cases they have in mind, we could possibly restrict commands allowed in the blocks, and possibly also require builds involving command blocks be approved and protected by admins so that the redstone cannot be spammed on them.

edit: and if players just want command blocks for decoration purposes, then C could use cobra feats, which is on S. basically cancels command block usage for non-ops.

Edited by Mumberthrax
cfeats

The working theory is this:

1.   Only non-dangerous commands will be allowed through the plugin

2.   Only admins may place command blocks

3.   Only admins may program command blocks

4.   The command block, and the redstone connected to the command block, will be protected from editing by everyone but staff.

This I have gathered over several discussions on the subject with Dumbo while in game, IRC, etc.

So command blocks would be placed by admins, programmed by admins, and then players would be allowed to activate them with redstone at their leisure?

Or command blocks would be placed by admins, programmed by players, and they could activate them at their leisure?

I think some seriously careful permissions stuff would need to be done here. Command blocks have the same powers as the console, effectively OP as far as I am aware.

With redstone clocks they could cause some major spam or even lag issues beyond just what normal redstone can do.

First thing that comes to mind is a setblock command that creates more command blocks with commands in them.

I've messed around a little bit with /setblock for creating custom monster spawners - it is inCREDibly easy to crash the server by entering the tiniest thing incorrectly - that is without any kind of clocks or anything, just running a command with the syntax off a tiny bit.

This is something that should not be rushed out without careful testing. Should be approached with caution.

What is it that players would like to be able to do with command blocks specifically? Do they want to be able to have the kinds of games and things that sethbling does in his videos? While those are neat, many of his command block builds use very rapid clocks that if used excessively could potentially cause lag issues. Do they want to be able to have pressure plates that teleport players or do things that easy signs can do? If we know what use cases they have in mind, we could possibly restrict commands allowed in the blocks, and possibly also require builds involving command blocks be approved and protected by admins so that the redstone cannot be spammed on them.

edit: and if players just want command blocks for decoration purposes, then C could use cobra feats, which is on S. basically cancels command block usage for non-ops.

Dumbo has told me this will be "built from the ground up." Pretty sure that means everything will be disabled and we can "re-enable" the commands as we go? Pretty much all your worrying in this response should be cleared up with what jchance said:

2.   Only admins may place command blocks

3.   Only admins may program command blocks

4.   The command block, and the redstone connected to the command block, will be protected from editing by everyone but staff.

This I have gathered over several discussions on the subject with Dumbo while in game, IRC, etc.

If this was all dealt with by the admins, we could keep problems from happening. (for the most part, people will always find a way around it.) However, does altering redstone really cause that much problems? I think Dumbo and Slide were perhaps going to make command blocks work in regions just like WE does?

• 5 months later...