Trial longer restart intervals

c45y

As discussed in irc today.

Why do we restart so often?

We used to have to for inventories and other server related issues, but bukkit has come a long way and it should no longer be required

So, lets trial/discuss it here where its all written down and formal (ish)

I am all for longer restart cycles. I think we ran/are running a test of a 6hour restart cycle on C. The issue that came up was with our logs being updated. With the current setup they update when the server restarts every 120 mins. But with a longer restart cycle it'll set our admin/mods logs back by 4hours.

Guest Former Staff

I understand that having the restart cycles as they are work well particularly for S and then P as there is more need to view the logs upon these servers. Maybe someone more informed could expand on this statement.

When it comes to creative, we would be set back viewing the logs by four hours however I find that there isn't often much need to view logs and when there is need, waiting up to 6 hours wouldn't be too bad.

It does mean that on occasions some requests may keep the modreq queue up.

It does mean that on occasions some requests may keep the modreq queue up.

Due to my many "ADMIN" modreqs, I think it would be safe to say that I've probably had to to wait quite a bit longer (about a day's worth) than many other players for my modreqs to be answered, so I wouldn't be bothered by this at all.

But that's just my case, a lot of players on C tend to be a little... impatient, when it comes to their modreqs and I usually end up seeing on nerd.nu/modreq that there are many requests that are simply messages asking why no mods have answered them, or what's taking so long, or the usual "water, water, water, water". Not really sure how that might go.

I say we trial it anyways. Most probably don't even realise that the restarts have anything to do with the queues.

The log stuff is a minor issue. The scripts we are using are old, outdated and not working anyway.

It is a hour or two's work to write a new log viewer.

Or we can just do what the mark2 guys have been pushing for and enable the live logs ( seriously, listen to edk ) and let it manage all our log files.

C45Y: https://github.com/NerdNu/NerdBugs/issues/114

The old forums are still 100% accessible at http://nerd.nu/archives/

I am stevommmm, I know.

But the old system is badly written and disfuctional, having to log into an old forum system is not 'working'.

I am more aware than most how bad that system is, I wrote it, and it needs to be scrapped and rewritten.

Trying hard not to sidetrack this here, logs shouldn't be stopping us having longer restarts, if they are then we need to come up with a better excuse.