My projects planning for next rev

GMMan

With 1.6 released, I think it's a good time to start planning for large builds that I want to participate in for rev 25. I currently have thought of three projects:

1. Spawn clock

I remember there was a clock at the beginning of this rev right outside of spawn. I'm not sure why it was taken down, but I would like to do something like that for the next rev. I'm thinking of building a large white box of sorts with a display that has a range of 0 to 9999 in game days. I want it to have a mural that represents the Nerd servers, and maybe a cafe thing inside/under if I can work it out. I don't know how to do solid state with redstone, so it'll be mechanically driven. I have some prototype mechanisms in my Dropbox, one of the mechanisms demonstrating how the counter mechanisms work and the other demonstrating a LCD driver prototype.

Right now these are the things I'm trying to figure out:

A. Size. I need to set a size suitable for being near spawn. If the spawn is like this rev, it can't be very large. If there is a road leading out from spawn, the clock can stretch along the road. I think the clock that was here earlier was around 50 blocks wide.

B. Location. I want it to be immediately outside spawn, but chances are I can't make it on to the server when the rev starts. If all the details are planned out ahead of the time I'll need someone to mark out and reserve a spot.

C. Redstone. I am not great with redstone, so I'll probably need help with engineering. I'd be grateful for help, especially if the circuits need shrinking. I don't anticipate lag problems, since it'll activate once every 20 minutes only. I'm hoping it won't go out of sync due to unloaded chunks, but there should be people at spawn often enough to keep the clock running.

I'll upload a scan of the couple planning pages I made if anyone's interested.

2. Dome7

I heard Magnyus wants to head this, so it's really up to him what he wants to do. I'll just throw my similar idea (Sphere1) out there. I envision a glass sphere that reaches from bedrock to sky limit. It will contain a tree in the middle, and off of it will be many branches that terminate in islands, which form plots to build on. The focus is away from towers or industrial buildings but on modest sized residential and small shops.

3. CTA

There wasn't much planning for CTA this rev, so the resulting rails weren't that good. I heard the plan for next rev was to keep it mostly underground, with a few sky rails. I personally think there should be a good mix of underground and above ground rails. I thought the pure underground rails of last rev were bland. Some say above ground rails cut through builds and make the map look ugly. I don't really agree. I think it's important to make the rails and supports look visually attractive and build them early. That way people can incorporate rails into their builds and it would look more natural. For an example of a visually attractive rail line, see CTA Blue that runs from spawn to Spleef to Cornerstone.

I too, have plenty of high hopes for Rev 25 since in the past I haven't been able to work on a rev since the very start of one. I'll try to list all the ideas I have.

--DISCLAIMER--

Just because I am listing something, does not necessarily mean I will actually go through with it, if you are interested in any of my ideas I request that you give me any feedback you may have or inform me whether or not you would like to take up that idea.

As far as Dome 7 goes, I am still very much up for being in charge of it come next rev, but at the moment I haven't the right to say that I will be in charge, what I might soon do it post a topic on both here and the subreddit with my ideas as blueprints of what I have in mind. I also claimed Dome 7 for myself because as far as I can tell, no one has even spoken about it.

For some time now, Nickeox, NEVAstop and myself intend to take charge of the rev 25's CTA. But we haven't seriously discussed it as of yet.

What I personally would want out of the CTA is an organised rail system that connects all the major builds on the server thought the use of an underground subway system.

Now there are many arguments against having a boring underground railway, but the problem with above ground rails is that because they're so accessible, other players are easily prone to tampering with them. This usually leads to broken tracks, and a plethora of unnecessary personal lines, another issue with above ground tracks is the ability to fly, it is well known that rails are slower than flying, so any player that gets impatient will ditch their minecart and fly to their destination.

Underground rails are also convenient to those players with weaker computers because the plain walls don't really require a lot out of your system (yes I know, that's a pretty minor reason).

Something that has always existed is the CTA Skyrail which serves a more aesthetic purpose, it'll probably be set up to tour around the server as well as replace this revs (24) border rail, the Skyrail will also be useful for anyone that would like to go ark in an interesting fashion.

That's as much as I can remember for what I have planned for the CTA.

Lately, I've been intrigued by the idea of having builds that are based on texture packs.

Something I've wanted to do for a long time now is to create an area similar to the Grid from the Tron universe (especially considering I could change music with resource packs).

I would go about making it in a slightly similar fashion to the domes, to give the city that dark sky with plenty of artificial light. A pretty straightforward idea.

Another very fun idea belongs to NEVAstop, who would like to recreate the city from Mirror's Edge which I think would be a FANTASTIC idea. Unfortunately, default would severely ruin the aesthetics and especially colours of that setting. I have informed NEVAstop that building that would most likely require a texture pack.

I'm also quite willing to assist in other major builds such as Spawn City (if we have one) and frequently do my best to enter any contests.

That should wrap up all I've got so far, your welcome for the wall of text.

-Magnyus

TL;DR

1. I wish to be in charge of Dome 7.

2. Nickeox, NEVAstop, and I plan on taking over everything CTA related.

3. I'd like to see more builds based on texture packs.

4. The Grid from Tron

5. NEVAstop's City from Mirror's Edge.

6. I'll be willing to contribute to other builds.

As far as CTA goes I already have a plan for it, we are having a similar system to pve, and we have a lot of building designs. Still some more disscusions with other heads of CTA to do but dont worry about that it is accounted for.

Should we have a separate forum section for planning threads? I think it's necessary to plan out far ahead if I was to build my spawn clock. I could do it on the subreddit, but the submission would probably get lost and the comments out of order.

Should we have a separate forum section for planning threads? I think it's necessary to plan out far ahead if I was to build my spawn clock. I could do it on the subreddit, but the submission would probably get lost and the comments out of order.

Agreed, I had no idea others have been thinking about the CTA, and a proper planning thread would help gather the maximum amount of information and also assist in reaching a consensus.

I dont know about you guys but I plan to help build other stuff and mainly start project Navorsing.

ABOUT IT

It will be a massive research centre w/ multiple stations all across the map, some above and below ground.  There will also be a massive main hub centre that will need some help building but I expect it to me made, for Derp & Co

Guest Former Staff

There are some really interesting build ideas here. I've been inspired by a former city within China that sounds like an interesting idea for a group project. Based on Kowloon Walled City, this city's walls were comprised of the apartment blocks and shops of the city itself. The streets are extremely narrow with sunlight not often reaching areas of the city and as the buildings are so close together you can travel from one side of the city to another without touching the floor.

From observing the CTA of revision 24, this didn't work so well for a combination of reasons. While there was initial planning this was not continued and due to inactivity from the project leader the CTA was not as good as it could have been.

I would like to see a dedicated planning post on the subreddit or a topic on these forums for CTA, it would be great to see multiple project leaders to ensure activity and to begin planning. We'll have transport integration at spawn to ensure that the CTA is used.

it'll probably be set up to tour around the server as well as replace this revs (24) border rail, the Skyrail will also be useful for anyone that would like to go ark in an interesting fashion.

I'm a little concerned with this idea if it were to be used for the new revision at the beginning of the map as the borders will be expanding over time and these rails would become outdated until the final border expansion.

I'm a little concerned with this idea if it were to be used for the new revision at the beginning of the map as the borders will be expanding over time and these rails would become outdated until the final border expansion.

Assuming that the rails will be protected, in a long rectangular shape, why not split the four stretches into four protections and move them to the edges of the map once we expand? I'll be glad to continue extending and connecting the tracks again.

I would hope to put something on the edges of the map because some players have a tendency to build right smack on the borders, and they can't access the back of their buildings and they usually end up looking a bit ugly. Also the obnoxious walls that others in the past have made, I believe we could do without those.

Side note: Funnily enough, I too was inspired a bit by Kowloon and Hong Kong's architecture whilst building Mira, unfortunately, I have yet to express that idea into the build, and it seems that others aren't really seeing my vision for it.

Edited by Magnyus

I would like to see a dedicated planning post on the subreddit or a topic on these forums for CTA, it would be great to see multiple project leaders to ensure activity and to begin planning. We'll have transport integration at spawn to ensure that the CTA is used.

I have shown Magnyus some plans that I have for the CTA, I don't think it's needed to be kept a secret with the ideas as it's not going to be a huge surprise. So i'll try and get a post up explaining what is going to happen next revision in terms of the CTA. I have talked to JohnAdams1735 another head of CTA a while ago and i'm not sure how much time she can invest into the CTA however Magnyus, Neva and nickeox have shown a great interest in it so i'll allow them to lead CTA with me next revision (If they want).

With regards to the mechanics of the upcoming CTA, I've been doing a little consulting with TheRandomnatrix and some experimenting on my own, and was wondering what kind of wiring is planned for the CTA.  I've researched and can now duplicate CARBON systems, and I've also been experimenting with a signal-strength system--it's simpler in a few ways, but limited in others (it can only code for 15 destinations maximum, and it doesn't have a cool acronym yet).  It uses comparators heavily, making it impractical for P, but on C that wouldn't be an issue.  One nice thing about both data systems is they allow for expansion as long as there are data points not used up.  In that case, if the rails are protected, a modreq will probably be necessary to connect a build/region to the CTA, but I think that's probably a good requirement anyway.

• 1 month later...