[AC] Server Crests

LadyCailin

I had the idea to add server crests in a few places on the web, but we don't have anything like that. So I thought it would be neat if we came up with a crest for each server that can be used as that server's "icon" wherever applicable. What do you server admins think? You could design them yourselves, or get input from the community.

Well, I don't see any possible down side to having one, where as it's quite a fun thing for the community, it would be neat to think that you designed the crest for the server you play on most. Who would judge it or would we put it up in a poll?

If we have clear enough requirements, perhaps we could lay those out up front and leave judging to the players through voting - maybe once all the submissions are in, we can go through and approve entries that do fit the requirements and put those up for a vote.  I am wary of us (staff) having full control over choosing the winning entry via judges.

Guest Former Staff

This idea sounds great. Would it be out of the question to have a unified crest too, for all the servers, possibly even a combination of the server crests? The inspiration came from one of the latest iterations of the Great Britain Pound. The top coin (£1) displays the unified crest whereas the individual coins display sections of the crest.

I think this is a great idea. After discussion in IRC, it sounds like the selection process will go something like this:

• We establish several requirements that each entry must follow. If an entry does not follow one of the requirements, it is disqualified.
  • We state that admins reserve the right to disqualify any submissions. While most troll entries would be caught by the requirements, this would eliminate any entries that are purposely walking on the edges of our requirements.
  • The entries that pass the initial screening (this will be most of them) will be voted on by the community in a poll. The most popular design for each server will win.

If we agree on this process, we can probably start thinking about the requirements we'll use. I'm thinking that two of the requirements would be that the crest is 32x32 or 16x16 blocks (whichever we decide) and that the crest displays the letter designating the server that the crest belongs to. Any ideas?

• Upvote 1

I'm assuming that no one has any objections in general at this point, so I guess we can go ahead and move forward with this. I figure keeping the contest open for a week should be sufficient, then we can set up a poll on the forum or something. The rules dumbo laid out are fine with me, though I would add one more point that we have the right to modify the design of the crest for design/layout purposes, but the theme of the winning crest will be used (or something like that).