Automatic locking of containers (chests, furnaces, etc) on P [Not S]

totemo

Auto Locking Chests, Furnaces, etc. on PvE  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this enabled?

• Yes
    • No

I have seen this work well before on other servers, specifically ones I help maintain, and it really is more pros then cons in this case.  The LWC spam is a problem not usually seen, and people feel more comfortable around putting things in chests.  

Thanks for this, it's good to have a reference about real world usage elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

I dunno, I'm on the edge about this one. Currently I reside in a shared building, though I manage all the lockable blocks. I have them all set to a single setting. I guess it wouldn't hurt since I'll /cmodify everything anyway, though for some reason I still would like to hit every block for /cprivate first. Of course, I use /cpersist.

It would be useful if you can choose what settings would be applied by default, not just whether or not the chest is locked, but also how it's locked. And maybe allow the selection of a wall to batch lock everything on the wall.

This is not a separate plugin that we are writing, it is just flipping a switch in a current one. It will auto /cprivate every chest you place so that you dont have to worry about hitting every block. What happens when you happen to miss one?

Just a random suggestion if this does go into play:

Can we possibly get a CommandHelper alias to make chests public/donation? 

Essentially, something like:

/donation = /unlock \ /cdonation

/public = /unlock \ /public

• Upvote 1

Can we possibly get a CommandHelper alias to make chests public/donation? 

Essentially, something like:

/donation = /unlock \ /cdonation

/public = /unlock \ /cpublic

I like that idea.  It probably wouldn't work correctly on the second and subsequent chests when used with /cpersist, but it would be benign, since /cpublic would be the persisted command, rather than /unlock.

Yesterday I did <lots of chest requests>

If this is enabled, you'll have a gazillion n00bs asking you why their friend cannot access their chest; plus, a shitload of chests lying around that nobody can break.

You're gonna get loads of idiots asking for stupid things; you're a mod, that's what happens.

Edited by Herbrin3
  • Upvote 1

If this is enabled, you'll have a gazillion n00bs asking you why their friend cannot access their chest; 

We have that already, and the stock answer is "/cmodify friend", which is actually wrong since it presumes that the chest is already locked.  If automatic locking is implemented, /cmodify will be the right answer and there will be no questions about how to lock a chest, and there will be drastically reduced chest theft.

plus, a shitload of chests lying around that nobody can break.

You have to ask yourself "why don't we see that already?"  I mean it's only a single command to lock a chest.  Two commands if you want to lock a 'shitload' of them.  Yes I am a mod and I see things.  Things that you don't see.  What I don't see is people spending the time to cut down 20 trees just so that they can upset an admin before they get banned for grief.  What I do see, a lot, are questions about how to lock chests and complaints about chest theft.  From time to time I also vanish and watch what new players do.  A significant number of them go around and check every single chest they can find to see if someone forgot to lock it.

No solution is perfect, but locking chests by default will solve way more problems than it makes.

• Upvote 1