[PMC] Server Lobby

CROCKODUCK

So I saw this in a thread about the community the other day, and I really did enjoy the idea of a server lobby. What I mean by a server lobby is say I connect to p.nerd.nu, instead of getting taken to the actual PvE server I get taken to a huge building or a garden that can be custom decorated by staff. Then there would be 3 entry ways (possibly 4 for chaos) and they could too be decorated and once you enter these areas you would spawn on either C or S or P (obviously it depends what building you enter.) I guess techs would need to let us know if the lobby is even possible. I just wanted to get more staff input on this, as I have talked to a select few who thought it would make us stand out more, along with bringing the community together.

Edit: feel free to move to public modchat or what not, just figured I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up.

• Upvote 3

I'd keep this here for now but once we have made a decision on the matter we should move it to the archives. I'm actually all for it, it seemed odd as it doesn't go with our usual traditional ways however thinking about it I found more positive aspects for it than negative. I would actually like this to happen one day.

• Upvote 1

I think work on a server lobby was done before; not sure what stage it's at or whether it will be implemented :S

The first CTF attempt of this summer was meant to test it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but going from server to server with players warping between lobby, red team, and blue team caused heavy lag, and was part of the reason why the event had to be postponed. If we're going to consider this (and while I don't want to be negative, I don't see the benefits at the moment), we'll need a new/heavily altered version from the one used then.

• Upvote 2

The first CTF attempt of this summer was meant to test it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but going from server to server with players warping between lobby, red team, and blue team caused heavy lag, and was part of the reason why the event had to be postponed. If we're going to consider this (and while I don't want to be negative, I don't see the benefits at the moment), we'll need a new/heavily altered version from the one used then.

Hm, there are many different versions of the lobby system so I am mostly just asking for likes or dislikes as of right now. As far as a benefit, I forgot to mention people would possibly be more inclined to visit creative or survival if they happen to see all 3 different buildings.

Oh I meant that there was work being done to link P/S/C/X with the lobby - it was something I recall from the days when Unity was under construction (pre-P rev11).

Yea, the failed CTF event was supposed to be a test of the lobby system. We still want to implement it, we just need to do another test sometime. What I'm thinking right now is we could either wait until a 1.7 spigot/BungeeCord initial releases and upgrade chaos and add a lobby into it. If that proves to be stable migrate the p and c over to it when they get the upgrade. Or I could potentially setup a small "event" server or something with a lobby for a short period to test it out. Seeing as we have no idea when any 1.7 releases will happen, I'm leaning towards the latter option.

I like the idea. A lot of other minecraft servers do this, and when I have seen it done it complements the server.

Yea, the failed CTF event was supposed to be a test of the lobby system. We still want to implement it, we just need to do another test sometime. What I'm thinking right now is we could either wait until a 1.7 spigot/BungeeCord initial releases and upgrade chaos and add a lobby into it. If that proves to be stable migrate the p and c over to it when they get the upgrade. Or I could potentially setup a small "event" server or something with a lobby for a short period to test it out. Seeing as we have no idea when any 1.7 releases will happen, I'm leaning towards the latter option.

According to the spigot website, BungeeCord is OK for 1.7. There's a spigot build available too, but all that appears to have been done so far is support for the new protocol. Terrain generation etc is still on 1.6.4. It's likely to be rather unstable, although it is functional. In my opinion at this stage it would probably be best not to use it, however it does suggest that progress is being made towards it being updated.