Refinements to vanish behaviour for Moderators and Admins.

totemo

The way that ModMode handles vanishing for admins (that you always join vanished) has been bothering me for a while.  In addition, the requirement on Moderators to vanish the first time they enter ModMode, and to remember to revanish if they temporarily unvanish during a ModReq strikes me as wrong.

So I've fixed it and will be installing this build of ModMode shortly.

From the commit message on GitHub:

Refinements to vanish behaviour for Moderators and Admins.

For both types of staff:

• Always vanish when entering ModMode.
  • Join silently if logged out vanished.
Moderators:
  • Keep vanish state (vanished or visible) across logins.
Admins:
  • Always vanish if joining the server in ModMode.
  • Keep vanish state across logins (vanished or visible) when not in ModMode.
The upshot of all this is:
  • Nobody needs to change their vanish state in order to be certain of being vanished when they enter ModMode. It will just "do the right thing".
  • Admins can signify that they want to join silently and vanished by logging out in their normal mode vanished, or by logging out in ModMode (vanished or not). To show a login message, leave ModMode and ensure you are unvanished before logging out.
  • Upvote 6

Has it been fixed so that we don't have to relog to see other vanished mods sometimes?

I made no attempt to do any more about that.  If it was not fixed by build 120 (we've been on it for a while) then it's not fixed.

It seems to be an issue caused by the permissions changes associated with ModMode transition.  I'll raise a bug against the VanishNoPacket plugin and see if that gets us anywhere.

EDIT: https://github.com/mbax/VanishNoPacket/issues/478#issuecomment-30074940

• Upvote 2

So the VanishNoPacket developer got back to me and it turns out that VNP was deliberately caching player permissions and therefore does not deal with players who change their permissions unless we make special provisions.  I have changed ModMode accordingly and vanishing now works as expected.

• Upvote 4

Just one little quibble I've tripped on a couple times so far.

Would it be possible for ModMode to remember one's vanish state while outside of modmode?  It seems that if you auto-vanish when going into modmode (which I definitely like), then it might be more convenient to auto-return to your previous vanish state when you exit modmode.

Ok, so it's hardly a necessity, maybe I'm just too lazy to remember to type /modmode and then /unvanish every time.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible for ModMode to remember one's vanish state while outside of modmode?  It seems that if you auto-vanish when going into modmode (which I definitely like), then it might be more convenient to auto-return to your previous vanish state when you exit modmode.

That's exactly how it's supposed to work on all the servers. I wasn't aware that it wasn't that way on C.  I will fix that as soon as I can.