[AC] Changes to Creative

LetsBFehr

In response to https://nerd.nu/forum/index.php?/topic/1524-creative-the-current-state/ , I think we are in need of some changes on creative.

Here are some things, that with the other C admins approval, I would like to go ahead with as soon as possible on C.

• A true survival mode when using /mode, including damage by fall/fire.
  • Allow arrows to be used.
  • Expand the current map, and target a mid-march revision change.
  • Have the use of /wand to measure things (I'm not that familiar with wand and it's capabilities, so if there is more that could be dangerous let me know)
  • Allow players to put blocks on their heads
  • allow potions to be used (except invisibility)
  • Allow block placement of TNT by everyone (so it's aesthetic and doesn't explode like now)
  • Allow the placement of beacons by everyone

Obviously much of this isn't vanilla, but the community has spoken and I don't see how any of these could harm our current small playerbase.  Let me know what you guys think.

• Upvote 1

I'm fine, I think we should have you start off in survival mode with creative inventory but allow you to modreq for flight areas so if your build requires it you can have flight there (we could do something like this with the test revision). Beacons ok yeah lets allow them but lets take spam of them seriously. Yes to TNT. Yes to potions I'd also like to add in personal /kits if that's ok. Yes to allowing arrows. So long as the use of wand is restricted to just measuring then sure. I don't want people using world edit to create anything like spheres ect. I have always liked the block on heads thing so yeah that seems like it could be fun. I'd like to get a sooner revision change, I know we haven't even expanded yet but the same revision gets old after a while and it was brought up that people would prefer shorter revisions.

• A true survival mode when using /mode, including damage by fall/fire.
  • Allow arrows to be used.

Sure, I see no problem with this as long as this is technically possible. Allow arrows only in survivval mode?

• Expand the current map, and target a mid-march revision change.

Map expanded today. Mid-march sounds good to me.

• Have the use of /wand to measure things (I'm not that familiar with wand and it's capabilities, so if there is more that could be dangerous let me know)

Sounds pretty useful. If there's no technical problem I'd go for it.

• Allow players to put blocks on their heads

I don't really know what's the purpose of this but ok.

• Allow potions to be used (except invisibility)

Obviously only in survival mode, yes.

• Allow block placement of TNT by everyone (so it's aesthetic and doesn't explode like now)
  • Allow the placement of beacons by everyone

Sure.

I had a nice long post typed out earlier, but i've managed to misplace it -- I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up in my sock drawer. Anyway, since I agree with pretty much everything that's been said here, I'll just briefly mention some of the topics which I have comments on.

Survival mode - I'm okay with enabling more types of damage in survival mode, for PvP purposes. In the long run, however, I'd like to see a command such as "/damage [on/off]" which determines whether or not the player takes damage in survival mode. By the way, what would you think of disabling death messages? I can see both pros and cons to doing this.

Wand - I'd also like to make sure players have access to //pos1, //pos2, //hpos1, //hpos2, and //sel [type], if they're not in the same permissions node as the selection tool.

Hats - The last time I requested that "/hat" be enabled, I was told that this would not be given to players since certain block types could cause corruptions in player data. I don't completely understand the logic behind that, so it may be worth it to ask a tech what the problem is.

TNT - I posted my thoughts on this in the other thread. I'd like to see this unbanned as a decoration block, so I'll look further into this tomorrow.

Beacon - Beacons were originally banned due to the annoyance caused by their beams. Most of the time, though, they are used only as a lighting source and occur in large quantities, which can inconvenience moderators handling baconreqs. For that reason, I'm okay with unbanning beacons. I was also going to comment on the possibility of requesting for a beacon beam, much like we do with flowing water and lava, but I don't immediately see any such functionality in the CraftBukkit API. I'll check on this tomorrow, though.

I'm fine, I think we should have you start off in survival mode with creative inventory but allow you to modreq for flight areas so if your build requires it you can have flight there (we could do something like this with the test revision).

I'll be posting more of my thoughts on this idea in the other thread, but I currently don't think this would be the best way of implementing the 'semi-optional no-flight' idea.

I think it would be beneficial to move this topic to the archives once it has run its course and the changes we decide on are implemented.

Sounds like a plan.

Everything else that I didn't mention, I'm in full agreement with.

So for now, it looks like we have agreement on a bunch of changes:

• WorldEdit Selections: Give default players full access to worldedit.selection and worldedit.wand.
  • Hats: If there are no technical issues, give default players access to this command.
  • Potions: I assume these are disabled through WorldGuard. Allow potions by default, and set block-potions to {INVISIBILITY}.
  • TNT: We can modify KitchenSink to render TNT blocks inert from redstone and flint and steel.
  • Beacons: Let's remove these from the banned item list; if they get spammed, we'll treat them as any other type of block spam.

Other items which may require more discussion:

• Survival Mode Damage: How do we want to approach this? I know that many people wouldn't be happy with enabling all damage in survival mode. Looks like we could either look into creating a WorldGuard flag to enable/disable damage that we would use in PvP regions (may be more trouble than it's worth), or we can create a "/damage [on|off]" command to enable/disable survival mode damage for a player. I think the second approach would be simpler, though the first idea might have a better long-term effect since I could see the /damage command being abused in PvP. That said, we're not in the business of moderating PvP, so we could just let the players handle that.
  • Arrows: Surprisingly, the CraftBukkit API doesn't allow us to cancel TNT ignition from flame bows. If we enable bows, we would have to either deal with the possibility of "griefing" TNT with arrows in protected regions (the explosions would be disabled by WorldGuard anyway), or we could easily modify the server code itself to disable this type of interaction.

If I have time, I'll ping one or two techs to take a look at this and see what can get done this weekend.

• 1 year later...