/tp issue on C

SwitchViewz

A few days ago in chat on C a user was trying to TP to another user when tpmode was set to ASK. The person he was trying to TP to kept saying he was not getting any notifications telling him someone wanted to TP to him. I then decided I would give it a go and I did "/tp hisname" and he still got no promt telling him. I asked him to type /tpallow anyway, he did and I was successfully teleported to him. A day or two later I came from P onto C to show a friend something I had built and asked him to TP to me. I waited a bit before I told him to send me the request, he said he had. I had gotten no promt about it so I asked him to send it again. Again, no notification telling me someone wanted to TP to me. I typed /tpallow anyway and he teleported to me successfully. Then later again that same day I showed a different user the same build and when they asked to TP to me I did get a notification about it. The following day I showed a third user the same build, and again it failed to notify me that someone wanted to TP to me.

It seems that it only sends you the notification some of the time. I don't know if this happens often but it happened to me a few times and the other person as well.

Edited by SwitchViewz

A few days ago in chat on C a user was trying to TP to another user when tpmode was set to ASK. The person he was trying to TP to kept saying he was not getting any notifications telling him someone wanted to TP to him. I then decided I would give it a go and I did "/tp hisname" and he still got no promt telling him. I asked him to type /tpallow anyway, he did and I was successfully teleported to him. A day or two later I came from P onto C to show a friend something I had built and asked him to TP to me. I waited a bit before I told him to send me the request, he said he had. I had gotten no promt about it so I asked him to send it again. Again, no notification telling me someone wanted to TP to me. I typed /tpallow anyway and he teleported to me successfully. Then later again that same day I showed a different user the same build and when they asked to TP to me I did get a notification about it. The following day I showed a third user the same build, and again it failed to notify me that someone wanted to TP to me.

It seems that it only sends you the notification some of the time. I don't know if this happens often but it happened to me a few times and the other person as well.

I've had problems with the TP plugin, TPControl before, but i've never seen anything like that. Their was a similar issue with the message plugin that was fixed, not sure if that will help with this

Not getting the notification is one of the oldest problems on C, it appears to be fixed every now and again yet always ends up breaking again. The request is sent but the notification doesn't appear in the recipient's chat. It's completely random.

The problem will be fixed next revision as the admins'll be setting the /tpmode to 'allow' as default. I don't believe the issue itself with 'ask' mode will be fixed any time soon, but at least confused players that don't know how the /tpmode system works can still use it without the complication. Just on a side note, most players just send a /msg asking for them to /tpaccept. It's not a massive problem but will be simplified next rev.

Edited by EeHee2000

The problem will be fixed next revision as the admins'll be setting the /tpmode to 'allow' as default. I don't believe the issue itself with 'ask' mode will be fixed any time soon, but at least confused players that don't know how the /tpmode system works can still use it without the complication. Just on a side note, most players just send a /msg asking for them to /tpaccept. It's not a massive problem but will be simplified next rev.

It's a minor bug but I figured I'd bring it up.

Just to clarify this a little more. Once the request is sent, even if the receiver didn't get the request in chat, if they type /tpaccept it will still work.

Correct.

Question for Switch: the friend you were showing the build to, was it their first time on this Creative rev?
I ask because I was the one in the first example, who was sending the unsuccessful requests, and it was my first time on that map.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with requests from map newbies, whose files might not be completely established, derping things up.

Also went straight from P to C, if that matters.

Question for Switch: the friend you were showing the build to, was it their first time on this Creative rev?

I ask because I was the one in the first example, who was sending the unsuccessful requests, and it was my first time on that map.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with requests from map newbies, whose files might not be completely established, derping things up.

Also went straight from P to C, if that matters.

Are you sure you were the one in my example? I remember the name being different but that could just be poor memory. All the people that I showed the build to were not new to C.

However, we all did come straight from P to C, so that may be a factor.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump!

I was having this issue today when I was trying to show off a rail design to several people. I was in ASK mode and they kept prompting me for a tp but I got no notification about it. If I typed /tpallow though it still worked.

Edit for more info: I had already been on C for several hours designing it and I did not come from PvE.

Edited by SwitchViewz

This issue has been around for years, as far as I can tell.  I believe the only reason it hasn't been fixed is that insufficient attention has been brought to bear on it.  You can generally keep something fresh in a nerd tech's mind by opening a new issue about it at: https://github.com/NerdNu/NerdBugs/issues

If you're a tech admin and no crisis is currently occupying your attention then NerdBugs is the job queue, 

I just had a look at the code, and the most likely cause of this issue is that the Player object representing a player who has been asked to teleport has been kept around to a point in time when it is no longer valid.  I believe that the Player can be invalidated by dying, relogging and, probably, changing dimensions.

I would suggest that a tech merely need to redeclare User.player as a String rather than a Player, although changing line 168 of User.java (https://github.com/NerdNu/TPControl/blob/master/src/nu/nerd/tpcontrol/User.java#L168) to read:

Player p = Bukkit.getServer().getPlayer(player.getName());
plugin.messagePlayer(p, applicant.getName() + " wants to teleport to you. Please use /tpallow or /tpdeny.");

would also probably work, though a little hacky.

I'll open the issue on github as a reminder to the tech team.