Shorter S revs

barneygale

Here's a chart of the length of survival revs historically:

tY6fMo0.png

Current rev is 71 days old, older than all but the most recent 4 revs.

Can be bring rev lengths back down to 40-60 days so that activity doesn't drop off so drastically? Every time we have a dead rev more people leave and don't return.

• Upvote 11

This is something we have looked at before, and I do agree that this rev is really old. However, one of the ideas brought up during the meeting that I really liked was to make S more of a long term game. I think that just making the revs shorter is only putting a band-aid on the real issue, which, I feel, is that it there are no long term goals, only short term goals. Within a few hours a new players can already have quite a few sets of protection IV diamond armor and have a decent base. In the past, admins have tried to make getting these items easy in hopes that it would encourage more pvp, but I feel that it has done the opposite. I would really like to make S into something where the revs are active and fun enough that a new rev is not required only after a few weeks.

I'm still working out how to go about doing this, and anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

• Upvote 7

Longer revs would work if there was content constantly added. I've heard from a couple of people who are quite keen for quests/challenges being the main focus of survival, with the normal gameplay playing a supporting role. People always seem to be up for building 5k-style challenges - we could add small ones every 5 days and record completion count/times per player.

If we're keen on doing a major overhaul of survival, I think we could still end this rev early and have the next rev as "the last ever revision of survival as you know it!". It's going to take a few weeks to get a "new survival" that will stay interesting for at least a few months. We might as well start a new rev while you're working on it.

Edited by barneygale
  • Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Smaller maps + shorter revs = far more action packed and less stale revisions which will help us to avoid the month-long dead periods on survival, in which we have a maximum of about 8 players and an average of 0. Simple. 

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 2

Smaller maps + shorter revs = far more action packed and less stale revisions which will help us to avoid the month-long dead periods on survival, in which we have a maximum of about 8 players and an average of 0. Simple. 

To a point, obviously.  Too short revs, and people won't bother with large builds, and the server isn't very attractive to new players if everyone just lives huts filled with chests.

• Upvote 5