The Subreddit Sidebar

HailSaban

Yes, the chaos server was constantly on back in 2011? (Possibly 2012?) and I believe was turned off because of how similar it was to S. Honestly I for one would love to have the server on again for a possible fundraiser, but I suppose that's another thread heh.

• Upvote 1

Yes, the chaos server was constantly on back in 2011? (Possibly 2012?) and I believe was turned off because of how similar it was to S. Honestly I for one would love to have the server on again for a possible fundraiser, but I suppose that's another thread heh.

In that case it's usually called the event server, and added to the sidebar up to and during that event.

In 2012 we didn't run it due to (somewhat unproven) fears over lack of resources. Chaos was an expensive server to run per player, as there was no world border, so the number of loaded chunks per player doesn't decrease with more players. IIRC we're still running essentially the same hardware as we had in 2012, though the vanilla minecraft server and its descendants are better-optimized now.

Would be good to hear a technical assessment of the current situation.

edit: when I say "expensive", I mean in terms of CPU and RAM usage.

Edited by barneygale