Why are threads being closed?

bmx20042004

Staff shouldn't be able to close threads because they're offended by the content, that's not how being part of a community works. 

I think the staff need to lighten up in general, because over the past half-a-year there's been a load of tension between players and staff - a lot of it comes from the strict enforcing of rules on the server. 

Lenient staff is not something we have at the moment, and that really needs to change in order to lighten up the atmosphere. Banning players for tiny little things that can simply be reversed is a waste of time for everyone, and does nothing but piss people off. Things that don't affect anyone in any shape or form are being seen as serious incidents, which is ridiculous - we're playing a game.

EeHee, there has always been tension between groups of players and staff for as long as the servers have been up, you just happen to be part of the group this time so that's why it looks like it's something new to you. I have been around long enough to see several groups like this come and go, and some even come back, but the current group is far from the first and it's unlikely that it will be the last because as much as we try we can't make everyone happy.  We also are very lenient towards players, in fact, we issue warnings a lot more instead of banning someone than when I first became a mod, and we no longer permaban someone and instead give them a chance to rejoin the community at a later date. However, if someone is breaking the rules, no matter how minor it may seem to you, proper action will be taken which if it is a minor incident will be a warning.

Just to reiterate what Den said above. We are a community based server, but we are not a community run server and, with the exception of trial period (happened long before my time), we have never been one. We love hearing from you guys and we take your opinions into consideration, but at the end of the day we are not a democracy and the policies, rules, and final decision about the servers are up to the admins. 
  • Upvote 9

I'm one of many who are kinda sick with that so called tension, lots of people just come to the servers to build and play, but apperently some people cause drama for little to no reason. It's sad really. Other then the select few making claimes on the subject, 90% of the time I just find players who A. Are not involved or B. don't even know that the "problem" existed in the first place. I played C for a long time, I played p for a long time, and I played S for a while. Do I think any one group is better then another? No. I for one prefer to see it as the nerd.nu community, not the p/s/c community. Although I'm sure some of the people who disagree with any of this will reply.

• Upvote 6

I'm one of many who are kinda sick with that so called tension, lots of people just come to the servers to build and play, but apperently some people cause drama for little to no reason. It's sad really. Other then the select few making claimes on the subject, 90% of the time I just find players who A. Are not involved or B. don't even know that the "problem" existed in the first place. I played C for a long time, I played p for a long time, and I played S for a while. Do I think any one group is better then another? No. I for one prefer to see it as the nerd.nu community, not the p/s/c community. Although I'm sure some of the people who disagree with any of this will reply.

Difficult1 that was one of the best posts I have ever seen from you. Big +1.

I also always prefer to think of the nerd.nu as one community. Everyone who has been here long enough to recognize their name, I consider family and it does pain me some to see people arguing. We, as head admins try our best to help and improve the community in growth and integrity. I receive criticism and take it to heart.

I hope always that everyone can work their differences out and stick around to watch this community become something even greater than it already is.

• Upvote 6

This is really well said and exactly what I have thought. I'm glad you're the one to speak your mind first!

• Upvote 1

Difficult1 that was one of the best posts I have ever seen from you. Big +1.

I also always prefer to think of the nerd.nu as one community. Everyone who has been here long enough to recognize their name, I consider family and it does pain me some to see people arguing. We, as head admins try our best to help and improve the community in growth and integrity. I receive criticism and take it to heart.

I hope always that everyone can work their differences out and stick around to watch this community become something even greater than it already is.

It seems to have gotten so bad for the few who seem to express this problem, will go off on you as soon as you say something like "brb need to go to my town on p" or "nah people from c tend to not stay and make a town on p because they rather want to play c (which happened to my c town). I mean, am I really not allowed to mension our own servers on our own servers??

This is a bit off topic, but if any head admins think we can try and remain drama free, by all means make a second post.

Edited by Difficult1

Mrloud, while it's only human to try and see patterns in things, I'd be careful not to see it as groups causing tension. I've seen accusations flying around that portions of the community are essentially a vote brigade, or a brigade of some sorts, where they'll happily support their friends without considering the facts.

Actually I think almost everyone in the community is good at separating the interests of their friends and the interests of the server nowadays. I will upvote posts I think contribute something original, and do a reasonable job not to let a poster affect my opinion of their post. The majority of the upvotes given to my posts come from people I rarely if ever speak to, and the remaining portion are mostly people I speak to once or twice a week.

When friends do vote for the same thing (and I have a better relationship with the head admins than most of the people I seem to be grouped with), I want to note that the argument:

> (they're friends) therefore (they vote for the same things)

is no more convincing than

> (they vote for the same things) therefore (they're friends)

For example, certainly edk is my friend and we'll often be found making the same points, addressing things from the same angle, generally supporting eachothers position, etc. But that's not because we are friends, that's why we are friends!

I think it's a dangerous thing to think of the community in terms of blocs. When the issue changes, the voices and voters change too. If a staffer starts to think that some parts of the community have organised to discredit them or discredit/destroy nerd, it gives them a convenient internal excuse not to listen to those opinions as much, and to assume bad faith. I'm not accusing you personally of doing this, only that I've seen the odd glimpse of this thinking from other people (not all of whom are on staff).

• Upvote 2

On the original topic, I think threads should only be closed if there's a compelling reason to do so, e.g.

* rule-breaking contents

* unrecoverable (i.e. warnings are ignored) descent into something off-topic or spammy

* topics with very little content, or content that duplicates a thread that was active within the last couple of weeks

It should be a blacklist situation. If forum users gain very little or nothing by closing it, don't close it!

Edited by barneygale
  • Upvote 2