[PMC] Reddit MC -> Nerd.nu Transition

SwitchViewz

Hey there everyone, with our recent transition from RedditMC to Nerd.nu Gaming I feel that there are a lot of things that we should discuss and do during our transition. This is going to be a rather lengthy post so I hope you guys stick through it! Please note that this topic is meant for discussion and the final decisions are left to the Head Admins.

Our “Official Expansion”
Before we changed our name there was, and still is a big push to expand outwards to other games. However I feel like we are lacking any sort of “Action Plan”. We took a survey and took some votes from the Community on what games to expand into but what about after that? Last I had heard Deaygo would be looking into getting a box and picking one or two of the top games. While this is a good start, I think we need more of a actual “Plan”. Such as, once finances are figured out, we will be going into TF2 and hosting a MvM Server or we will be going into a CS:GO TDM Server, etc. Right now it seems like there is a lot of improvisation and figuring it out as we go along. I think if we have a plan and know what we want to do things will go faster and we know what to expect. Thoughts?

Staff Changes and Management
This is one of the most important points I feel we should discuss and that is how are we going to handle staffing and the running of servers outside of Minecraft. Our current process is we pick members from our minecraft servers to become mod and then possibly admins. However not all our mods/admins are going to be playing every game we expand into. As well as the other way around, someone that joins us for a TF2 Server may not be interested in MC.

How are we going to handle the staffing and management of new servers? Techs could be the ones that manage the boxes, but are we going to have say “TF2 Admin” or “TF2 Mod”? How should we go about this? Thoughts?

YouTube Channel
Our YouTube Channel has long since been dead but with our expansion to other games I think this is a great opportunity for us to put it to use. I have recently started doing Friday Night Gaming and hope to do some other things in the future. I intend to record them, should we upload things like that as well as MC things? What should we put on our YouTube?

Subreddit/Mumble/IRC
Subreddit: Do we intend to stay at /r/mcpublic or should we transition to /r/nerdnu or something else?
IRC: Do you think we should stay at #RedditMC or move to #NerdNu?
Mumble: Should we keep mumble as “Reddit Public” or rebrand it as NerdNu Mumble? (Im not sure the technicalities on Mumble)

Steam Group
A lot of people have Steam nowadays and I think that we need should putting a lot more focus into our Steam Group. How can we better utilize it to interact with the community and organize things? Right now it’s not doing a whole lot when we should be greatly utilizing it.

Community Tag

Should we use some sort of community/clan tag to help recognize each other as well as help show people we are apart of a community? Such as "nerd | SwitchViewz" or "nnu | SwitchViewz" etc.

• Upvote 1

Regarding Subreddit/Mumble/IRC:

Changing the subreddit name would most likely not be an option, since we can't migrate everyone over. IRC is similar, but would be easier to handle, maybe a reroute? -I don't know how things work-

As for mumble I don't see any reason for it to not be changed, but again, I don't know the technical limitations

Regarding Subreddit/Mumble/IRC:

Changing the subreddit name would most likely not be an option, since we can't migrate everyone over. IRC is similar, but would be easier to handle, maybe a reroute? -I don't know how things work-

As for mumble I don't see any reason for it to not be changed, but again, I don't know the technical limitations

/r/nerdnu is already claimed by Deaygo as a placeholder, so moving to it would be trivial. Not sure about IRC.

The bigger issue is with the fact that we've ALWAYS been at /r/mcpublic and #RedditMC. It's typically not a good idea to go away from a branding you've used for a long, long time. But it's really short term losses that are the killers there, people who were looking for us at the location we used to be and not finding us. As long as there's some kind of redirect, there shouldn't be too much of an issue on that score.

Our “Official Expansion”

We definitely need to lay out a plan for moving forward. I've been busy with real life, as well as MCBouncer so things haven't moved as forward as quickly as I had wanted. Essentially we will need to wait until we have funds before moving forward.  At this current time I am covering our second box out of pocket.  And couldn't afford to do so for a second box.  So deciding on the couple games we are going to start with will be a good start.  And then determining when we are going to do an official launch

Staff Changes and Management

I think that it should be something like what you mentioned. TF Mod, admin, etc.

YouTube Channel

First off, I just created the Nerd.nu Gaming Community channel on YouTube. Perhaps we want to create another one as well for user submitted content? But I think that actively adding content would be good and I can add managers to the youtube account without giving out the credentials to the account.

Subreddit/Mumble/IRC

I have r/nerdnu which I think that we could use for general nerdnu stuff and perhaps keep r/mcpublic for minecraft stuff. With IRC, if we were to move, we would want to have an announcement kind of thing in the channel whenever someone joined to tell them that it has moved. And if we do decide to change the IRC channel name, we should also consider just switching networks as well. It has been discussed before, but with that channel being where we have always been it has always just fallen to abyss.

Mumble is an easy change.

Steam Group

I definitely think that we need to try to start and keep the steam group active. I think that it would be beneficial to find a couple people who want to be the "steam community managers" - essentially they would be responsible for setting up and running events on steam. Maybe some tournaments, etc.

• Upvote 1

<text>

So if I understand correctly, you were pay for a second box but can no longer do so, therefor we don't have a second box?

Action Plan

Based off of the Head Admin Change log we need 70$ per month to fund another box correct? Would it be possible for the type of specs that we need to be released? I'd be more then happy to to look around for other potentially cheaper options and I'm sure others would to. I also know that (c45y? or cmdrtebok? I think) mentioned something about getting us a box in IRC the other day, we may want to talk to him about that.

Managment

My opinion on this is that I think it would be good for us to have "Divisions". Such as Minecraft Division, TF2 Division, ETC. That way you could have "TF2 Admin" "TF2 Mod", ETC. The only problem I see is how would perms be handled in this case? Lets say we get a TF2 Box and I become a TF2 Admin, however I still play on our Minecraft servers a great deal. Would I have mod powers both TF2 and MC? Would I be labled as TF2Admin in MC? How would perms be laid out?

IRC

What would be the reason for moving to a different network? Not against it just curious.

STEAM

I've been trying to get things on the steam group going though mods are lacking some perms at the moment, I believe Mrloud pinged you about that though. I'd be more then happy to lend a hand here.

I think this also ties in a bit with the management section. If we have "steam community managers" would they be just that? Community manager with regular perms? Or would they be a form of admin such as Steam Admin or Community Admin? My opinion is if we make some sort of community manager they should be at the admin level so that they can coordinate with the heads and other admins better (just my opinion though).

So if I understand correctly, you were pay for a second box but can no longer do so, therefor we don't have a second box?

No, we've had a second box for a while. It is being used to host redditpublic wiki, and some other webservices. We were running too many things on our primary box. I have been paying for it, and will continue to do so (it is in my budget) until we run a donation drive under the premise that I will get most of it back at that point, but I can't start paying for a 3rd machine out of pocket. We will need to wait until we do a donation drive for that.

Action plan

$70 would be quite substantial to run a few servers.

Management

I think that having divisions would make sense, and if the person is heavily active in both games, then I think that they could be made a mod on both, but I wouldn't do it automatically due to training requirements.

IRC

Gamesurge is kind of terrible, and doesn't follow a lot of the normal stuff with IRC (username ownership, etc) and depending on the server we'd be able to get something for IRC bots to get going again.

Steam

I think that we would have a separate forum for the community manager stuff.  The one concern people had with that position was them getting access to admin chat and stuff that goes on in there.

• Upvote 1

No, we've had a second box for a while. It is being used to host redditpublic wiki, and some other webservices. We were running too many things on our primary box. I have been paying for it, and will continue to do so (it is in my budget) until we run a donation drive under the premise that I will get most of it back at that point, but I can't start paying for a 3rd machine out of pocket. We will need to wait until we do a donation drive for that.

Action plan

$70 would be quite substantial to run a few servers.

Management

I think that having divisions would make sense, and if the person is heavily active in both games, then I think that they could be made a mod on both, but I wouldn't do it automatically due to training requirements.

Steam

I think that we would have a separate forum for the community manager stuff.  The one concern people had with that position was them getting access to admin chat and stuff that goes on in there.

Action Plan

How powerful is the second box? Would it be cable of starting up a game or two until we get a official third box specifically for other servers/games?

Going off the results of the community poll the most voted on options in descending order are: TF2, Terraria, Garry's Mod (TTT), CS:GO. In my opinion we don't want to rush out the door with a whole bunch of games at once as that may spread things to widely. We should start off with one game to test the waters and then expand from there. We also need to find people to take over and manage those games and there expansion. Such as if we do a TF2 or TTT Server I'd love to take that on, but who would take on a Terraria or CS:GO Server? We would need to find people that are willing to lead those servers as well as people we can trust with admin powers.

To make sure my facts are straight, at the current time our biggest problem with expanding to other games is that we do not have the funds to support a box for it?

Management/Steam

The concern of seeing things in AC is very much legitimate but if we start introducing "Community Mangers" or "TF2 Admins" where would they be placed? Your going to entrust Admin powers on the Steam Group or a TF2 Server and trust that they don't abuse and manage the powers/other staff well, but then not trust them to view Admin Chat? If we are entrusting someone with full server admin powers or steam powers then you should be able to trust them seeing things in Admin Chat. If you don't trust someone seeing Admin Chat why would you trust them with Steam Admin or TF2 Admin powers? (My opinion)

• 3 months later...