[PMC] PvE Protection Specifics

SwitchViewz

Hey guys, with the start of the new Rev the rush for land is as crazy as ever. However I think there seems to be some sort of misunderstanding on what warrants protections. Over the last week I have seen many modreqs for town protections where the town simply consists of roads going all of the place to claim land and a few buildings in one spot. I often deny these requests as I do not see those as fit for protections, but then the player(s) just go to a different mod and have them protect it.

To me this is not ok and causes a problem. I don't have a problem with mods viewing things differently and all of us having our own opinions but when it comes to protections we need to be clear on what we protect. Not just have users go mod to mod until someone protects there land.

From my understanding, we only protect actual builds and not empty land. The problem occurs when towns surround chunks of land with roads and then ask for them to be protected. In my mind that is basically land claiming. You are building nothing in between the land and simply building roads to grab the land. Another common one I see is people building small temporary farms and then want them to be protected simply so that chunk of land can't be built on. I would be happy to provide examples of this from this rev if asked.

The entire purpose of protections is to prevent griefing and not grab land. Can we please come to some sort of conclusion on what qualifies this? It has often been "it is up to mod discretion" yet I see lots of empty land in between the roads being protected simply because players keep asking different mods.

i was told in chat that if they have done "significant terraforming" (i.e. leveling a mountain) and it was prettied up it was fair game depending on the area they wanted. something like your photo i would never protect only because it's just roads, if it's empty space they better have build or removed at least 40k in material first.

Probably the closest legal action relevant to this is that roads and plots (need borders for these) in a town are generally considered fair game for protections, so to me, something like the west two thirds of that image is not yet suitable for a protection.  

Terraforming is going to be more difficult to quantify in terms of how much warrants protections.  Currently it is only listed in the rules as "by discretion" and the interpretation of this has seemingly varied widely since its introduction.

To me, In the extreme cases, an island built from scratch in the middle of an ocean was considered fair, while planting flowers and other vegetation around existing terrain was not sufficient.  Some examples in the (recent-y) past where protections were given for terraforming:

• Bromspring Island last rev was the island built from scratch in the middle of an ocean - that itself could be considered a build, since it was created by itself and not as a modification of existing terrain.
  • Itamashi was protected in a space within complex (not monoblock or hastily built) walls - the dark oak forest within the walls had been completely cut down, the terrain lit, and cobblestone roads laid.
  • Modreq 536 on the current rev - aside from the road segment, the surface of the northern sliver of land between the road and the water was sculpted by hand (an LB query at the time showed dirt had been placed/removed along the surface), trees and flowers planted, water placed to flow.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this after getting reports that players are still looking for particular mods for protections.

Really? ._.

The only circumstance I could see people wanting specific moderators for protections is if they're difficult to manage. Take carbon for example with S_W, as I'm the only one who does it. We should all be offering protections on a similar basis between each other, even considering most of the active mods now are from the new group.

• 3 months later...