"Hopholes" discussion

uni0

There was a recent post in the subreddit about a list of suggestions for change on survival. I made a suggestion that each issue should have its own thread so that it can be properly discussed, hence this post.

The suggestion in the document was as follows:

Hopholes (an unfair hopper structure which avoids item loss from PVP )

Personally I'd be against banning hoppers in pits for a number of reasons I'll outline below. First of all, making traps is one of the key gameplay features of survival. This kind of gameplay is not possible on server like p. Prior to 1.5, making traps wasn't as exciting, in part because you could escape them with pearls which is still an issue. But with the introduction of hoppers, making traps with them has added a lot of excitement and new gameplay. Banning hopholes would ban some or all traps that involve hoppers.

Second, I disagree that they are an unfair structure. While in some cases it may seem unfair, I would argue that there are legit uses for it. If I'm being outnumbered, lets say 2 dia guys against me, wouldn't it be legit if I try to escape and save my loot using a hopper? I believe it is. Lets remember this isn't just PVP server, it's a survival server. If a hopper lets me save loot from an unfair situation, then I will use any resource and ingenuity available to me as a way to survive.

Lastly, defining hopholes may be difficult and may be hard to moderate. Suppose someone doesn't make a pit, but they still use hoppers to save their loot, would that be bannable too? Suppose someone makes a trap that involves hoppers somehow, would all traps containing hoppers be bannable, or just some? This would be a slippery slope which may end up banning hoppers entirely.

I'm voicing my support for keeping hoppers in pits/traps etc fair game and not bannable. Please feel free to post your opinion for or against the proposal. Please keep in mind survival isn't only about PVP, there are a many players that enjoy the survival platform not necessarily for the PVP but for the ingenuity needed in surviving in such environment.

• Upvote 3

I agree with you. Hopper pits take a minimum of a few minutes to make, so people have to have them created prior to being attacked for them to be of any use. So a player will only really be able to have pits in their own "territory". And if there are people coming to their house specifically to take their stuff, I say good on them for being prepared. It's a defense structure, no different than having a ton of traps in your territory to deter intruders.

If we're trying to ban ways to store loot quickly, let's get rid of chests inside rooms, because you can easily throw things in them.

But really, I think this would be one of the worst rules (besides grief-bait) because they aren't just for storing loot, they are to get people to also fall in, a defensive system. My batcave has had many people that aren't me fall in, which earns me loot. 

There is a castle by the  +800 -800 portal that does an amazing job with these. I'll leave the trap up to you to find, but I thoroughly enjoyed dying a few dozen times trying to get around said trap.

That being said - if it was an arena floor, I'd feel differently. I would refuse to fight anyone there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have no problems with "hopholes". Its really just a faster form of chesting.

It's maybe a faster form of chesting, but it discourages pvp even more as it's easier to just attract someone and hop in your hole, you barely lose anything (or have the risc of losing anything)... I personally think it's lame and imo it should be removed

personally, I am NOT against 'hopholes' or any other term that they may be called, for a plethora of reasons, most of which have already been brought up. 

It's a defense made by players, similar to the drop traps in every base on survival. While I understand that many players see it as someone 'bitching out' of a fight, It's still protecting your gear via legitimate means. 

Beyond that, what'd define a 'hophole' ? Because I can fall in my own front-door drop trap with hoppers, and chest all my stuff via that. It's meant to keep players out, but it'd serve the same purpose. Enforcing a rule such as this effectively would require the elimination of those as well, because they too can be used for that.

Players have every right to protect their gear - this methods only a little faster than the "oh shit take everything and chest" method of doing so, and for that, I say nay. I'd prefer not to see em banned.