Sign Kits Issue

uni0

I know techs have a lot on their plates these days with CTF event planning etc but this is an issue that has been lingering for a really long time, at least since rev15 in survival. The issue is Kit signs. Every time we need kit signs for a KOTH arena for example, our s admins are not able to set them up themselves. This means that we depend on a tech admin to do the setup. Historically either it never happens, or it takes a long time. Back in rev15 signs were configured, then they broke down and were never fixed for the rest of the rev. In rev20 it took about 2-3 weeks to configure kits only after a player on s went out of his way to bug ppl around to do the setup.

This rev21 in survival, we still don't have sign kits for KOTH. S admins have done the best they can setting up chests and dispensers for kits. But it takes a lot of work to do these chests/dispenser and in the end they need refilling AND they are just not ideal. They don't provide color leather kits for example.

Can anything be done to solve this situation? Ideally we would need a plugin that any s admin can comfortably use to setup kits so they don't depend on a tech admin to do so. I do know that LadyCailin was working on something called EasySigns, would that be it? I also know of another plugin that would do the work for us beautifully http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/cobrakits/

EDIT: I imagine P admins would find something like this very useful as well for different events on P that they may wanna do and not necessarily depend or bother a tech admin for the setup.

Thoughts?

So I've had a quick look just now and we have three different sign setups written in CommandHelper just for arena-like events.  Bearing in mind that I've skimmed the code while drinking my coffee, so this description may not be complete.  But near enough, I think. 

We have:

• some signs code for PVE that does armour and weapons for two teams, red and blue,
  • different code for survival that does the same thing for 4 teams,
  • this more general sign package https://github.com/NerdNu/EasySigns, which has a superset of the other two packages combined, but doesn't do coloured armour.

As far as I know, LadyCailin did all of these.

My preference would be to do a thorough review of the PVE and Survival code and work out all of the special features and then add them to EasySigns.  The magic words for coloured leather armour would be something like:

"leather 255 0 0 helmet chestplate leggings boots"

where "255 0 0" is a (red, green, blue) triple (bright red in this instance).  The other thing that I noticed in my skim read was that one of the versions of the signs code can give items up to a set limit.  So instead of adding 64 arrows to however many the player has, such a sign merely ensures that the player has at least that many.  That would be a "give_at_most" sign command, in addition to the "give" command we already have.

To act as reminder, I've opened issue 129 for this work.

I forgot about adding a way to do colored armor, but otherwise kits should be fully available for admins to add, on all three servers via EasySigns. The "top off" action would be easy to add too, I just didn't know that was needed. If someone else doesn't get to that before me, I will this weekend, they should both be easy to add. I could also create something like "EasyKits" instead of relying on a third party plugin if we want command based kits, but in the case of P and S, then this is best left to signs anyways, since players shouldn't be able to run commands like that outside of certain areas like the arena.

All admins should be aware of this by now, I would have thought, but if not, here's the plugin help page: http://redditpublic.com/wiki/EasySigns

All admins have access to configure it on their server, and it's installed on all servers, and what's listed in the docs all does work correctly. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

LadyCailin, about the "give" command, when adding items to the player's inventory, with the exception of armor it seems like it's not possible to choose which slot items would go in. At least not easily. For example we'd want sword to go in hotbar slot 1, bow in slot 2, food maybe slot 9.

In the past, I've used CH for "kits" in a priv server, and the way we had them setup we could use a command to take a snapshot of current desired inventory, and it would be saved. It did save the custom positions of each item on a players inventory which was extremely useful. There was no need to enter custom codes for each piece/item/slot. Would that be something doable or is this asking for too much?

Thanks for the help.

• 2 months later...

I have added a 'potion' action to give a potion effect, 'leather' to give coloured leather armour and 'inventory' to give the player an exact copy of your current inventory (at the time of setting up the sign).  This should cover all of the use cases and uni0's concerns.

I have added a 'potion' action to give a potion effect, 'leather' to give coloured leather armour and 'inventory' to give the player an exact copy of your current inventory (at the time of setting up the sign).  This should cover all of the use cases and uni0's concerns.

totemo, just curious, but is there the ability to add enchants to items with EasySigns too?

totemo, just curious, but is there the ability to add enchants to items with EasySigns too?

There no sign action to add an enchantment at the moment.  However, if it is acceptable to simply replace the player's inventory (which it may well be when handing out free equipment prior to a minigame) then an admin can create whatever enchanted items they want in their inventory and use the "/easy-signs inventory" command to give an exact copy of that, including the enchanted items.

There no sign action to add an enchantment at the moment. However, if it is acceptable to simply replace the player's inventory (which it may well be when handing out free equipment prior to a minigame) then an admin can create whatever enchanted items they want in their inventory and use the "/easy-signs inventory" command to give an exact copy of that, including the enchanted items.

That's awesome, I guess that feature was in there all along :) Getting a full, preset inventory also eliminates the worry of having to organize everything in the right slots for convenience and PvP reasons

Edited by coolgamerovr90