Creative Transit Authority (CTA)

Magnyus

I believe that a track around the 8bit area should be considered its own thing, not an official part of the CTA.

That is precisely what I had in mind. Although it could be "sponsored" by the CTA.

We need to rule the server with an IRON FIST. *ahem* A thousand pardons.

Deciding to step in on behalf of CARBON and make a case for it by clearing up some things.

I think that PvE's Carbon system would not work very well on C, it requires taking up A LOT of underground space and an excessive use of rails that can easily be griefed if not protected properly, and protections can become rather complicated and cumbersome because of the erratic nature of Carbon railways.

For starters, carbon tends to take up fewer rails than the traditional rail networks. It can be only be griefed if the person who made it decides not to make a WorldGuard region around it. The same could be said for any rail line, and protections are very simple. The experimental mapwide network I was working on in PvE's overworld this map could be done in 3 regions.

We are disorganised as shit.

Despite being "unorganized as shit", you seem to dislike something which could bring more order to the rails.

If the CTA wants to lean towards CARBON next map, I'd be happy to provide assistance in helping to familiarize more people with it. I'm sure Wayne has his own ideas as well.

In defense of CARBON, my oft-referenced "new system" is based heavily off of it, and serves pretty much the same function.  I'm currently thinking of calling it MAPSE (Minecart Analog Parallel Signal Encoder).  It's signal repeaters and encoders are much smaller than CARBON units, but the decoders are of comparable size.  I've built a hodgepodge prototype, but should probably start putting together a full working model for clarity's sake.  One disadvantage vs. CARBON is that MAPSE can only handle up to 15 2-way stations, 16 if we include a zero signal, but that strikes me as risky, since the data line idles at zero (perhaps the zero signal could be used as a failsafe, stopping carts before they run down the line on an unassigned signal).  Any stations built after the data lines are full would have to be outgoing only.  We'll probably have to publicize the fact that people should ask for Express Rail connection approval before building one.

Okay, there are some really great ideas in this thread and we know what's going to happen next revision.

For starters there shall be the CTA hq right by spawn. Inside this there will be 4 different CARTS stations; one green, one blue, one red and one yellow. Each colour shall correspond to a quadrant of the map. Yellow shall be for the North West quadrant of the map, green North East, red South East and blue South West.

The reason we shall be using the CARTS system instead of the CARBON system is due to the fact it would be much more easy to teach new members how to build them.

The main CTA hq shall have connections to the main warp cities in the map, and also to places such as Pixel Art and big town. from these stations there shall be more CARTS tracks spreading out to other towns/cities impressive builds like scher's organ will have a small stop in the line with the option to get out and go and look, however they shall not have a CARTS station. Only cities and towns shall have CARTS stations with the exception of Pixel Art and big town. In regards to the idea of having a border rail, I would say that wouldn't be a good idea due to the fact that the map will be expanding over time, and seeing as CTA is still just a build it would be against the rules to world edit these things in, meaning constant destruction and rebuilding of rails. In terms of design we are going for a slightly Romanesque look, I shall attach a download to a world with most of these designs inside them. although inside the map the design of the tunnels is wrong, we are going for a slightly more interesting idea to make riding the rails more enjoyable as suggested by ROCKONN it was magnyus that had some designs that I liked and it is those designs that we shall be using.

At the start of next map we will need to start work on this immediately and so I'd like to sort some jobs out, Rockonn you seem to be very interested in the design of rails, I'd like to put you incharge of making sure the stations look nice, and that the tunnels are kept constant (no sudden purple wool wall or something :P) i'd also like you to help with laying out the CTA hq and adding extra details to it to give it a more realistic look. Magnyus you have shown a lot of interest in the way the lines are set up i'd like you to try to make the stations as compact as possible, and also set up some walk throughs on how to build the stations. I'd also like you to make sure that your station design is implemented. I'd also like Wayne to help with the redstone.

You don't have to do these jobs if you don't want, this is just what seems suited to you best, it also doesn't mean that you can't just build the rails normally, and you'd also have a team to help you with each task.

If you'd like to help out just post in this thread or message me in game telling me so and i'll try and teach you how to make the CARTS stations that we have just now.

Anyway link to the CTA planning world: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ue0orsrvyls2v1/CTA%20Planning%20world.zip

TL:DR We aren't having border rails, we are using pve's CARTS system and we need as much help as possible please ask to join us.

- Thanks for reading if you did. Sorry if I have made any mistakes it's quite late here, if I have just say so and i'll fix it.

• Upvote 2

Now I'm curious, buzzin, what exactly does CARTS mean/stand for?  The wiki doesn't say (though it does have nice building instructions).  I was under the impression that it referred mostly to the station button panel, which is basically a nicely organized RS NOR array.  I may be mistaken, and the term CARTS may officially include the system of having a separate rail for each destination, but if it's only the button array, then CARBON or MAPSE can be integrated easily, and require far fewer rails laid.  Also, will the four quadrants be completely distinct, requiring someone to return to the HQ to get from one quadrant to another?

I'm unsure on what CARTS stands for however you can attach them onto CARBON systems. Going on your question of quadrant separation I don't think they are separate I think magnyus' design means that the rail colours only appear on the walls so we would just change the colour once it crosses the border from one quadrant to another.

• 2 weeks later...

Popping in to say I may not have time at the very beginning of the rev to work on CTA (since I also have a time sensitive project planned), but I would be willing to work on it once that project's done.

(BTW, for some reason I really like the melon rails for 8bit.)

It was there this rev. I and a couple other people thought it was funny to lead a melon rail up to 8bit. That little shack at the edge of 8bit is mine.

Oh! You had me worried for a second there.

I thought you found my Molon rail prototype.

http://i.imgur.com/UtXADMB.jpg

Which albeit isn't very well hidden anyways.