[PvE] A Thought / Question on Portals and Their Number

WyndySascha

tl;dr - perhaps a future rev should only have one portal?

Hello Everyone,

I'll begin by saying how great I think PvE is (I'm sure Creative and Survival are just as great, but I hardly ever go there!).  I lurk on every rev, but I'm planning on actually getting involved in the new one.  The people are friendly and helpful, and the builds are always impressive in some way.

That having been said - and please bear in mind I'm somewhat new to the Reddit Public way of doing things - I had a query about new rev creation, or maybe even a suggestion for the future.

There's been a lot of discussion recently about new PvE terrain, and the subject of portals comes up often.  Essentially, from what I can gather, there's a mad initial dash for the portals and then cities grow up around them.  This is reasonable: using the Nether cuts down on transit time; and it's useful having easy access to the Nether to obtain the goodies that are only found there (quartz, blaze rods, &c).  Portals, then, are prime assets to have.

My thought is this: maybe PvE could take a stab at only having one portal, based centrally on the map at Spawn or in some other suitably impressive building.  I know this seems to contradict the benefits of many portals that I've touched on above.  However, I think it would introduce some interesting social dynamics to the rev:

For one thing, it would encourage the development of the Overworld's infrastructure.  Cities would have to construct roads, rails, boat canals &c to Spawn and to each other and these would be used frequently - right now, for example, the Overworld has some impressive rail infrastructure but with apparently little use.  PvE is, I think, full of amazing builds like tower blocks and residences, but often these just stand empty and without use... infrastructure would be a creative thing and useful.

Additionally, needing to build rails might make things like iron and gold more scarce, valuable resources (farms notwithstanding) - this might encourage trade and other interesting activity.  Also in terms of trade, neighbouring cities might find it more convenient to exchange nether stuff with each other rather than obtain it themselves through the one portal.  There would be more community interaction.

If there were only one portal, "publically administered", it would perhaps also remove some of the uncertainty and debate about who's-got-what-portal, and perhaps give smaller, "non-portalled" cities a more even footing with much larger ones.

So, that's my idea.  Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?  I've outlined some of the ways I think things on PvE might be made a bit more fun and interesting, but it's all supposition - it'd be great to have an informed voice give an opinion!

Thanks for your time,

All best wishes,

~Sasch

• Upvote 1

We've grown so accustomed to nether travel that it would be a good and bad thing to have one portal. Quick travel, nether side development, lava access. There are plugins for one way portals, I'm guessing having the one portal in the pair nether side would be better. It's confusing though.

>Additionally, needing to build rails might make things like iron and gold more scarce

Iron grinders pretty much guarantee that iron will never be scarce, and if more gold is needed, I'm confident someone would build a zombie pigman grinder in the nether (if the padmins don't provide us with an overworld pigman spawner).

Quick issue I'd see: traveling by the nether causes the server to load/unload a smaller number of chunks than by overworld (seeing as the nether:overworld ratio is 1:8, you travel a smaller distance, and the server does less work). P has had lag issues all rev, I wouldn't want to attempt something that could possibly cause it to get worse. Otherwise, I'd be in favor of it.

Another thought: S does portals slightly differently. I'm not thinking the normal road portals, just the 'secret' portals that were at +-800/+-800 last rev. Could be interesting to leave portals open and available, but not allow people to build within some distance from the portal. Just an idea though.

Quick issue I'd see: traveling by the nether causes the server to load/unload a smaller number of chunks than by overworld (seeing as the nether:overworld ratio is 1:8, you travel a smaller distance, and the server does less work). P has had lag issues all rev, I wouldn't want to attempt something that could possibly cause it to get worse. Otherwise, I'd be in favor of it.

Another thought: S does portals slightly differently. I'm not thinking the normal road portals, just the 'secret' portals that were at +-800/+-800 last rev. Could be interesting to leave portals open and available, but not allow people to build within some distance from the portal. Just an idea though.

AFAIK you are allowed to build on portals on S. It's just that no one does because it would make you incredibly easily raid-able.

AFAIK you are allowed to build on portals on S. It's just that no one does because it would make you incredibly easily raid-able.

You actually can't :( Just checked with a bunch of the S players, they stated it is banned (could be wrong. Also: free obsidian)

I know one is not allowed to build portals, but are you really not allowed to build on portals? Assuming obvious things like "don't restrict access etc etc.

Oh. They have a protection of ~10 blocks around them (or, at least, they did last rev)

Edited by zifnab06