Question Time with the Survival Admin(s)

Tharine

In following the trend of the recent AMA threads, i've been asked to set up one as a Survival admin as well, so let's do this!  :happy:

I'm open to answering questions on pretty much any topic, but I will refrain from commenting on things that may compromise the servers themselves, spoil (potential) surprises for future revisions, or questions pertaining to my life that I may not be comfortable answering. I'm a pretty candid individual otherwise, so ask away and i'll let you know if it's not something I can give an answer for.

I've left the topic for this one open so that any of the other Survival admins can join in and answer questions pertaining to the server itself, or even if people would like to direct questions to them personally. I'll try to respond in an appropriate time frame to any questions I receive, and I look forward to seeing what people are curious about! 

• Upvote 6

Who is your favorite S player that isn't Jauris? ( It would be unfair of me to exclude all other members from your praise )

Wait, there are people that play Survival that aren't Jauris?

For serious, couldn't honestly pick favourites, i've met so many wonderful people through my time playing on Survival.

How comes there are only 2 S. admins? ;)

Someone seems terribly observant  :wink: If you're interested, be on the lookout for some upcoming changes in staff positions.

Why are you such an abooossiive admin????

Because~

• Upvote 3

1. What is the biggest mistake you have ever made?

2. What is the best thing that has happened to you in your time on the servers?

3. Who was the first person you befriended?

4. Gimme a Q?

1 - I think i've been very lucky that my general (usually incredible) clumsiness has managed to not interfere too much with my actions on the servers. In terms of moderating, I remember handling a modreq for farm grief very early into my time as a moderator (probably only a couple of weeks into the position) where someone had broken some melon stems. I did a general /trace of the guy and noted that he had legitimate edits elsewhere, and carelessly rolled him back in about a 20 block radius to fix the farm grief - not realising that he was in fact one of the builders of the house right by the farm itself. Half of the house popped up and disappeared in front of my eyes and the two players inside, and I remember immediately thinking that my stint as a moderator was going to end right there. I recall very worriedly typing into the mod chat something to the effect of 'luke I fucked something up, please help oh my god' and he came over immediately to handle it for me. I think I spent the next week completely avoiding him out of shame  :mellow:  

2 - Best thing to happen? There's probably loads of things that have happened that i'm immensely grateful for, but I think the most heartfelt and most amusing would be the birthday party organised for me last year. I'm very unfortunate to not have the screenshots on my current laptop to upload, but a lot of effort was put in by some Survival regulars into getting the event set up on a private server for my birthday. On top of the elaborate and wild decorations and redstone work that went into creating it, there is probably nothing more heartwarming than walking down a hallway plastered with signs wishing you a happy birthday - especially when it comes from some of your typically more foulmouthed friends  :wink:

I do have one screenshot [nsfw pixels, oh golly]: 

NSFW
TQF78.png

Yes, that is Naughts73 dressed as a stripper. Hopefully that gives you some idea of how amazing it was.

3 - Probably draykhar, to be honest. I imagine I spoke with people in a friendly manner before meeting him, but it wasn't until I got lost in his clan's mine system (goddamn you and your freakishly tall mines, cakesphere) and he spent the good part of an hour trying to navigate me out of there and back into his base, that I started to really involve myself in being a part of the community. If I hadn't met draykhar, i'm not sure where i'd be nowadays.

4 - Question for you teddylover: I read in one of the other AMAs that your birthday is coming up next month - any big plans for that? :)  

• Upvote 6

3 - Probably draykhar, to be honest. I imagine I spoke with people in a friendly manner before meeting him, but it wasn't until I got lost in his clan's mine system (goddamn you and your freakishly tall mines, cakesphere) and he spent the good part of an hour trying to navigate me out of there and back into his base, that I started to really involve myself in being a part of the community. If I hadn't met draykhar, i'm not sure where i'd be nowadays.

:O

Right in the feels.

You'd probably be still trapped in those labyrinthine mines. Damn it, Cakesphere.

EDIT:

And, for a question. What do you see as the biggest problem with S right now, and how can we move past it?

• Upvote 3

I'm planning to go into the city with my friends as a double celebration as one of my best mates has a birthday earlier in the month. I hope to get horse riding lessons for my birthday. I'm very fond of animals and sports.

Wut

• Upvote 3

And, for a question. What do you see as the biggest problem with S right now, and how can we move past it?

I think Survival's pretty fractured at this point. There's been small issues creeping up for some time now, and I like to think we've started working towards fixing some of them. I'd say the biggest one would probably be our community. Not that the community isn't great, but it's quite clear that we have several different approaches to the type of server we are, and there's a lot of discontent and conflict that arises from that. I find we often struggle when it comes to making the greater game-changing decisions in considering everyone's stances and opinions, because of how varied they can be. I think we would be doing ourselves a disservice by not recognising that we're also not the most welcoming of environments for newer players, let alone those that do not share similar views to our own. I would say this is limited to a small minority, but it is that minority that is the most vocal, and typically so. We're the delinquent child of MCPublic - a title i'm sure some of us would revel in  :wink: - and we could definitely stand to make some improvements in how we treat each other. I feel like our in-fighting is one of our more prevalent issues, and I think that even showing a little more consideration towards each other in the day to day interactions we have would go a long way towards improving that.

Why does pokegeek1234 deserve head admin?

Can you please give me 1,000,000,000 beacons in game?

pls answer and also /promote pokegeek1234 a couple times while you're at it ;)

pokegeek1234 isn't eligible for the Head Admin position until he actually makes use of his plot on Survival  :biggrin:

Sure, 1,000,000,000 Haste beacons are on their way!

I think he speaks for himself - pokegeek1234, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm planning to go into the city with my friends as a double celebration as one of my best mates has a birthday earlier in the month. I hope to get horse riding lessons for my birthday. I'm very fond of animals and sports.

Sounds awesome  :smile: I used to go horse riding when I was much younger, it's a lot of fun!

• Upvote 4

Guest Former Staff
How do I become moderator on the new forums?

I'll get hold of a Tech Admin who can add you on these forums.

How long did it take until you had the horse tamed?

Ah well, the horses were already tamed? This was at a riding school, so they were all properly trained and whatnot.

Where are the damn invisibility potions?

I don't know  :mellow: This has been open for some time now, and I was hoping we were going to see a bit of progress on it. I'm not terribly tech-capable, so i'm not sure what we're waiting for to get those changes pushed through.

2 questions: How would you describe your PvP style?

and Top 5 memories from S?

I've always found myself a bit at odds when it comes to PvP in Minecraft. In most games i'm pretty defensive and strategic, but in Minecraft I usually find myself just running in head first and seeing how much damage I can do before dying :P I evidently don't PvP all that often, but when I do it's not very organised. I strongly dislike the potion game because I have shoddy perspective skills and trying to throw a potion whilst running is not something i've ever managed to get the hang of  :sleep:

I'll think about the top five memories and get back to you  :smile:

• Upvote 3

As a non S player, I tend to hear terrible things about S. Mostly, that the players are jerks. I do not know if this is true or not, however: 

If there was one thing you could change about the community on S, what would it be?

and Top 5 memories from S?

Not in any particular order:

1 - Running around dressed up like pkome on Survival, and later visiting duskydolphin over on PvE in our catsuits.
2 - End of revision chaos, with revision 16's being a particular favourite.
3 - Hosting KotH nights with Naughts73 (I miss you dude).
4 - Any number of aboose incidents that were brought on by barney's shenanigans.

5 - An all-inclusive fifth choice, my favourite memories tend to come from the small personal things that people bring to the server. Things such as olegnep's fascination with furnaces, the ever-present Slug eyes, and any number of silly antics that come from being in a great clan  :happy:

How many times did you fall off a horse?

What's your second favourite sport?

I've never fallen off a horse :P

I wouldn't consider horse riding my favourite sport by any means, being that it's not something i've done since I was about 9 years old, haha. I'm not terribly sports-orientated overall, but i'm fairly decent at playing football (soccer, for you 'murricans  :wink:) and I really love going to see matches live. It's not something i've had the opportunity to do in ages, so I kind of miss it. Other than that i've been keen to try out cycling and maybe hiking for a while now, i'm not really sure what's been stopping me from either one :P

As a non S player, I tend to hear terrible things about S. Mostly, that the players are jerks. I do not know if this is true or not, however: 

If there was one thing you could change about the community on S, what would it be?

I'd probably point you towards the response I gave earlier in this thread about our community, but honestly just remembering to treat each other with the most basic form of decency would go a long way and it's something i'd like to see everyone do. I know a lot of us get caught up in the atmosphere that comes with a combat environment, and I think we'd all do better just to take a step back and realise what we're saying sometimes. The server as a whole actually has a wonderful community, but this isn't quite as prominent as the few that promote and engage in the typically more destructive behaviour that has become associated with Survival. It's become in some ways more of a running joke to be unnecessarily hateful towards each other, as well, which I feel has increased somewhat as a result of the negative rep we all get. To outsiders though, a conversation between two people (e.g. myself and N00ble_6) where they're insulting each other can seem unnecessarily harsh, where in reality they're probably good friends just mucking around with each other. The toxicity certainly exists within particular players, and typically these are the more vocal of the community, but they're not restricted to just Survival. I'd love to see a change in attitude across all three of our servers, and for everyone just to remember that we're all humans at the end of the day and to treat each other as such.

• Upvote 3